Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:20:15 PM

Author
Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 20,507 times)

Highland

Highland

Alone is definitely covenant 2.0, I dunno how you can even debate that. Even down to the drawings.

Although Harvest is the simplest story, I guess somebody had to go for the simple corridor Alien kills you short. It's definitely still in the flavour of the original. It even looks like the B movie straight to VHS version.

Specimen still the most original for me ( and best) , just for the fact it has something in it we've never seen before.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: TC on Apr 28, 2019, 05:15:52 AM
Surely Alone better fits what you are describing. Alone didn't even feel like a horror until Paxton shows up.
Alone's style fits Alien, Harvest doesn't. Harvest evokes that weird early 2000s ghost music-video-style ghost movie aesthetic.

Quote from: Highland on Apr 28, 2019, 06:27:12 AM
Alone is definitely covenant 2.0, I dunno how you can even debate that. Even down to the drawings.
David was trying to make a friend?

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Apr 28, 2019, 06:38:51 AM
Quote from: TC on Apr 28, 2019, 05:15:52 AM
Surely Alone better fits what you are describing. Alone didn't even feel like a horror until Paxton shows up.
Alone's style fits Alien, Harvest doesn't. Harvest evokes that weird early 2000s ghost music-video-style ghost movie aesthetic.

Quote from: Highland on Apr 28, 2019, 06:27:12 AM
David was trying to make a friend?

If he malfunctioned enough or even got the chance , who knows. He was blowing on nostrils and stuff. He thinks he's the daddy etc.

The short could have possibly worked if it was the Alien and not the face hugger ( even then that's pushing it). Was a bit too Red Dwarf for me.

Xyz

I like that one: it has a lot of tension and, although I expected something to happen at the end, I was surprised. :) Good job!

Nightmare Asylum

Anyone have a clue as to what Paul WS Anderson and Milla Jovovich did to warrant a "Special Thanks" in this? Other than, you know... completely inspire the style of the thing. This felt way more like one of Anderson's Resident Evil movies than it did Alien.

The Old One

The Old One

AVP? Blergh.
The general style? Blergh.

SM

Another solid effort, but two dodgy robots in a row detracted a little.  I dug the idea of the plasma harvester.

SiL

Three if you think back to Ore.

SM

Ah, yeah.  Forgot about that one.

Highland

Quote from: SM on Apr 29, 2019, 01:30:43 AM
Another solid effort, but two dodgy robots in a row detracted a little.  I dug the idea of the plasma harvester.

It reminded me of a basking shark. Maybe that was the intention. Very cool though.

HuDaFuK

Having just watched this again, I enjoyed it far more second time around.

It's not especially nuanced or clever, but it is entertaining. As someone else said, at least one of these shorts had to go for the straightforward, Alien-stalks-people-and-kills them route. And I still got a good, macabre laugh out of the conclusion.

Other than doubling down on the mad robots, it makes for a nice companion to Alone because it's the polar opposite in terms of style and tone.

Anyone have any idea who the "Laurel Tooms" character is supposed to be? She's listed in the credits but I only see four in the film (plus the Alien).

Corporal Hicks

Kimo

Looked great and had nice set and strobe light effects and that, but felt it never offered anything new. Basically we must escape why the alien hunts us scenario that has been done to death already. However I'm not knocking it since it was pretty well made for a low budget short so congratulations to the director.

But I really want to see something fresh and new that not your typical cat and mouse scenario or the is a creature in the room with us. If Fox/Disney do more awsome shorts like this for Alien Day in the future, can we please get fresh ideas like Alien Alone or even Specimen were it has a slight twist at the end.

Overall I have loved these shorts hope we get more in the future.

TC

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 28, 2019, 02:00:54 PM
Anyone have a clue as to what Paul WS Anderson and Milla Jovovich did to warrant a "Special Thanks" in this? Other than, you know... completely inspire the style of the thing. This felt way more like one of Anderson's Resident Evil movies than it did Alien.

The director actually worked on a couple Resident Evil films (Extinction and 1 other, I think) in the cutting room as some kind of asst.

TC

SiL

That explains the obnoxious editing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed