Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft?

Started by Chestburstedlol, Jan 22, 2023, 11:37:08 PM

Author
Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft? (Read 5,285 times)

Ingwar

Every human being in Dallas' situation would panic. You cannot, no matter what, train for things like that. Subconscious will always find its way to the surface and take control over you. It's primal fear.

Kradan

ralfy

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 26, 2023, 06:39:16 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Feb 26, 2023, 04:56:28 AMThe monitor doesn't give the direction of what it's tracking and even the level. Depending on what direction Dallas is facing, the creature could be coming towards him from his left or from his right, or his back or front. It could also be in the same shaft or the one above or below.

They would have realized that before he decided to enter the shaft:

"So, if I enter the shaft, you'll tell me if it's heading towards me, right? Wait a minute... will you be able to tell me if it's in front of or behind me?"

"OK, when you enter the shaft, the direction you're heading is your front."

"Got it. And what if it's in the shaft above me?"

"Uhh...I don't think this is gonna work."

:o

A hopeless plan doomed to failure from an ineffectual Captain, aided by an increasingly terrified (minus one) crew of truckers. The odds were stacked in the creature's favour.  :laugh: 

Ash's suggestion about using fire as a possible deterrent (that helped convinced the Captain) was possibly BS - much later, the shuttle's engines would (seemingly) have little effect on cooking its resilient hide.  :laugh:

Even with an effective Captain and a brave crew, they still would have failed, simply because the monitor has no direction indicators. That's why even Lambert, who I think is the navigator of the ship, could only give useless instructions, i.e., move away from the creature. But move where?

The second point's off-topic; maybe you can raise that in another thread.

Elmazalman

Quote from: ralfy on Feb 27, 2023, 01:36:09 AMEven with an effective Captain and a brave crew, they still would have failed, simply because the monitor has no direction indicators. That's why even Lambert, who I think is the navigator of the ship, could only give useless instructions, i.e., move away from the creature. But move where?

Well, it did take some bravery to re-enter the air shafts to search for Dallas - only to find and retrieve the abandoned incinerator unit.

Yes, Lambert was the ship's navigator - and the best choice to read the tracking unit's (confusing) signals.
Perhaps Ash may've been an even better choice - had he not been secretly working against the crew? He did build them, and knows their quirks better than the others - he may've even been able to make more sense of the readings than the navigator?

Wweyland

Ripley actually recommended going back to the ducts and continuing with the plan. Would it have worked better this time?

Elmazalman

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 27, 2023, 10:09:54 AMRipley actually recommended going back to the ducts and continuing with the plan. Would it have worked better this time?

Why would the outcome be any different a second time? Now they're even worse off, with another crew member gone.

ralfy

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 27, 2023, 02:54:40 AMWell, it did take some bravery to re-enter the air shafts to search for Dallas - only to find and retrieve the abandoned incinerator unit.

Yes, Lambert was the ship's navigator - and the best choice to read the tracking unit's (confusing) signals.
Perhaps Ash may've been an even better choice - had he not been secretly working against the crew? He did build them, and knows their quirks better than the others - he may've even been able to make more sense of the readings than the navigator?

None of those will matter if the indicator doesn't contain details on direction and level.

The same thing will happen if they try it a second time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed