What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 41,910 times)

PsyKore

I dunno honestly. The name Romulus kinda has me terrified of some pretentious shit they have planned... But regardless, all I do know is that I'd like it to be well-written. I think this was the main curse with the prequels: ultimately good films but written poorly. So hopefully they could avoid making the same mistake and create a more consistently good film. This is how low the bar has come for me - I just want a coherent and well-crafted film for f**ks sake. :laugh: It doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, just given some care and be good across the board.

Apart from that, bring the old slow-moving, curious/creepy "in the shadows" alien back. It's been so f**king long since we've seen one like it that it'll be fresh again anyway.

TC

TC

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 09, 2023, 04:03:35 PM...What in your opinion is the Alien movie that has the best worldbuilding? when it comes to the presentation of the world, its characters...etc.

It seems to me all the films restricted their settings to very confined microcosms within a larger human society that was only ever vaguely hinted at. I think it's always been the nature of the Alien stories to confine themselves that way - at least, this seems to be the case for the movies. "World-building," the way we know it today, wasn't a thing back then except for novelists and peculiar visionaries like George Lucas and maybe Gene Roddenberry. 90 per cent of the Alien-'verse is the product of EU material like comics, novels and games.

But if pushed I'd say Aliens went furthest to show off the broadest cross-section of human society:

Technology: Aliens has the best glimpse at how space-travel works (although still not great. e.g. no explanation of FTL travel, although hibernation is somehow involved). Humans are now into terraforming.

Sociology: Human expansion has created a diaspora of civilian pioneer colonisers. There is an all-consuming work ethic (the only leisure activity we witness is the kids on the tricycles at Hadleys Hope). Husbands and wives and their whole families go off on "wildcat" expeditions together.

Corporate and bureaucratic function: We see the ICC investigation at work.

Military function and technology: Well, yeah, we see lots of that.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 09, 2023, 04:09:39 PMI will say though, a lot of artists just create for themselves, and I think that approach totally valid even if it does not always appeal to me.

As soon as I read this I thought of my own bits of fan-fic that I dabble in. Sometimes I show it to friends, but not often. Mostly I write it for myself. It's therapeutic.

TC

PAS Spinelli

If this movies tries explaining anything from the mythos then it is already ruined.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Set it underwater, in the long-since flooded ruins of an Engineer city. Put bulky claustrophobic diving suits for the humans....

Cosmic Incubation

Honestly I just want something that matches the brooding, cosmic-horror, atmosphere and tension of the first film.

Some good world-building and expansion would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely in the same camp as others of wanting to see some engineer/jockey/Giger architecture (as well as wanting a xeno that is more akin to stalking big-chap than the crazy screechers we've gotten in recent installments). But honestly I'm not holding my breath for any of that. If it's just a simple, back-to-basics Alien story (in the same way Prey was) with genuinely good tension and atmosphere, then I will be satisfied.

It's been forever since I've seen it, but I was happy with the Evil Dead remake, and I liked Don't Breathe a fair amount. So I'm mostly optimistic for something at least solid and satisfactory.

oduodu

oduodu

seriously

egg morphing on a large scale. then seeing an alien return to egg like state as many people thought was happening to the alien on the narcasis.  but for the 3rd time. seeing a hive slowly growing around live victims while not face hugged they are slowly being turned albino worker aliens that has the proboscis mouth. seeing some ship being grown from a hive itself being alive while space warp biological engines made many many dead peoples bodies slowly push their way through theb skin of the ship.

Immortan Jonesy

Eggmorphing would be good for body horror. Who knows, maybe Alvarez is the one to make the concept canon once and for all.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 10, 2023, 05:58:41 PMSet it underwater, in the long-since flooded ruins of an Engineer city. Put bulky claustrophobic diving suits for the humans....

The last movie I saw with that kind of setting was Underwater (2020). It was quite enjoyabled, and the good thing is that it didn't require such a high budget to make it. Maybe in the future someone can do that with the Alien sandbox.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 10, 2023, 10:02:58 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 10, 2023, 05:58:41 PMSet it underwater, in the long-since flooded ruins of an Engineer city. Put bulky claustrophobic diving suits for the humans....

The last movie I saw with that kind of setting was Underwater (2020). It was quite enjoyabled, and the good thing is that it didn't require such a high budget to make it. Maybe in the future someone can do that with the Alien sandbox.

Yeah, Underwater was definitely something coming to mind when I wrote that (along with certain elements from Avatar: The Way of Water and, funny enough, the comic Predator: Hell or High Water as well). I think Underwater was fun enough (though I really hated TJ Miller, and the third act didn't really have any 'oomph' to it and it just petered out a bit from what I recall), with some pretty killer design work for the human tech (I love those suits so, so much). Keep your ears peeled for a few familiar sound effects recycled from the Nostromo, too! ;) I should revisit that one, I haven't seen it since the theatrical release in January 2020.

But yeah, applying something like that, but with an alien ocean littered with ancient, grotesque ruins on another world, to the Alien franchise is something that would actually be very appealing to me.

More big bulky suits in general, honestly. Give me some more space suits. I love the idea of the suit being this additional cumbersome barrier between life and death for these characters, adding an extra layer of tension and claustrophobia as the Alien too runs amok.

Immortan Jonesy

True, poor ergonomics and the inherent dangers of the environment work very well in Alien. It complements the tension of the movie, and helps in the empathy that the audience might come to feel for the characters. And even in worldbuilding (the Company doesn't care enough about the physical / psychological integrity of its workers...etc)

SiL

SiL

The creatures in Underwater were terrible. Not in design, but because they mostly just seemed to harass the characters until they accidentally died.

Like except the one time one tries to eat somebody it doesn't even feel like they're turning to kill anyone. Really took the threat out.

Some Old Dude

I want the very practical in camera look and feel of Alvarez Evil Dead and the tension of Don't Breathe. Some hints that David's out there causing mischief would be nice too.

bobcunk

Anything as long as it involves our favorite vagina spiders and penis headed rape monsters. ;)

Shinawi

Shinawi

Look at what AI is capable of now:

Imagine what AI would be capable of when this movie takes place. AI would be a major part of the people's lives. This would give us a new futuristic feel of the movie. Now imagine how a survivalist would be in this movie.

SiL

SiL

We know what it's capable of -- completely emulating a human being, emotions and all. They've been there since the first movie. Reality is catching up, not the other way around.

Immortan Jonesy

Alien was ahead of its time 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed