SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers

Started by Gazz, Mar 27, 2013, 05:50:54 PM

Author
SEQUEL NEWS: Fox Struggling with Hiring Writers (Read 59,303 times)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

It bears mention that's just a little "sketch" of course. :P

Here's a more elegant drawing of the creature:

0 biomechanic influence.. but a lot of influence from genetic misshaps like the marfan syndrome. Wich i appreciate :)

Cvalda

RAAWWWRRR!!! :P

Cvalda

No T, no shade, hunty :P

Blacklabel

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: cloverfan98 on Apr 11, 2013, 05:19:05 AM
Give me a proper Alien film. Don't make it a prequel, don't directly tie it in with any specific previous Alien film, and don't have an unecessary Ripley Knock off in the lead.
So...a reboot then?

cloverfan98

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Apr 12, 2013, 03:24:47 AM
Quote from: cloverfan98 on Apr 11, 2013, 05:19:05 AM
Give me a proper Alien film. Don't make it a prequel, don't directly tie it in with any specific previous Alien film, and don't have an unecessary Ripley Knock off in the lead.
So...a reboot then?

Not a reboot just another Alien film with a new cast if that makes any sense. Hey I'd be up for Alien 5 with Ripley but I don't think thats going to happen.

Nightmare Asylum

So essentially an in-continuity reboot ;)

Personally, I say just follow up on Prometheus.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 11, 2013, 04:56:25 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Apr 11, 2013, 06:30:04 AM
Inferior because whilst there's always room to explore new designs, nothing would match the beautiful nightmare of Giger's xeno design (IMHO).

Huante's designs were solid.. and definitely not inferior to Giger's original design. Ridley was a fool not to use them...

They need to explore and expand the mythos.. while leaving open many windows to do many different kinds of flicks in the universe :P You want your hard scifi horror flick? You can have it. You want an epic space opera nightmare-ish horror flick? You can have it as well.. Diversification is the only way this franchise will survive :P Keep it centered around horror, space and lovecraftian giger-influenced creatures... and you've got a lot to explore with those central elements :P

Predators could be added back into the fold in a tasteful way..but Robert Rodriguez is a hack.  :P
They were "solid" designs, but my point was that nothing had, or has since, been put to film like Giger's designs in Alien. It's like the design of Universal's Frankenstein's monster i.e it's so definitive that everything that comes after is derivative. And whilst I do like those white boneless designs, he looks a bit like the merman from Cabin in the Woods.

I agree with you about all the windows left open and expanding the mythos... But I think that route is a direct follow up to Prometheus as opposed to another Alien film or xeno on a spaceship story.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Darth Vile on Apr 12, 2013, 06:38:04 AM
he looks a bit like the merman from Cabin in the Woods.

Dont really see the resemblance....  :laugh:

Obviously anybody working on an Alien film is going to be indebted to Giger's original design. But Huante had the right idea when it came to his alien creature... Giger took car parts, crocodile tails, skeletons and he put a penis on a man's head. Huante stripped away all of Giger's quirks and took physical deformities, whales and goblin sharks and blended them with a really tall albino man. He took the stuff that inspires him as an artist and he really put himself in his work.

Let's compare that to when the strause Bros, Kenner or companies like Gearbox start doing the alien creature they just start adding "more and more spikes! more teeth" Let's make them bigger and stronger!... those arent creative artistic decisions, that's just being a child and playing with your toys. :P I dont blame ADI for some of their poor designs.. most cases they are just following the directors or the producers input. Their Runner looks good and the Newborn was an amazing Chris Cunningham design despite what ended up on screen not being 100% true to his vision of the creature.

But to the point, the franchise needs more real artists with unique and talented personal takes... not man-children who just want to have colonial marines go pew pew against "BADASS" over the top looking aliunz again.  :P

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

A xeno biting someone's face and spurting blood out of its dorsal tubes. How is that not a thing?

I say go big with the sequel. There is huge potential for a truly mind-f**king story. Back on the horse Ridley, back on the f**king horse.

MaxPowers

It'll be ten years before we get another 'alien' movie and it won't have anything to do with Prometheus.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 12, 2013, 06:45:19 AM

Obviously anybody working on an Alien film is going to be indebted to Giger's original design. But Huante had the right idea when it came to his alien creature... Giger took car parts, crocodile tails, skeletons and he put a penis on a man's head. Huante stripped away all of Giger's quirks and took physical deformities, whales and goblin sharks and blended them with a really tall albino man. He took the stuff that inspires him as an artist and he really put himself in his work.

Let's compare that to when the strause Bros, Kenner or companies like Gearbox start doing the alien creature they just start adding "more and more spikes! more teeth" Let's make them bigger and stronger!... those arent creative artistic decisions, that's just being a child and playing with your toys. :P I dont blame ADI for some of their poor designs.. most cases they are just following the directors or the producers input. Their Runner looks good and the Newborn was an amazing Chris Cunningham design despite what ended up on screen not being 100% true to his vision of the creature.

But to the point, the franchise needs more real artists with unique and talented personal takes... not man-children who just want to have colonial marines go pew pew against "BADASS" over the top looking aliunz again.  :P
I hear what you're saying and I agree - more artists and less fanboys... but whilst I do like those concept paintings, I don't find them particularly scary or original. It does remind me of the merman and Hellraiser and Silent Hill. I think Giger's work was truly original and a one off in terms of a creature/alien in cinema.

Blacklabel

Scary... Giger's Alien was trying to get away from the stuff we usually associate with "scary" monsters (and super creeps) .... i remember that Ridley asked specifically to avoid large fangs, huge claws and the like... Huante's design tries to avoid the same clichés.

I only found the alien creature "scary" when i was a kid :P Which is funny when you consider that they were selling these to kids  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8sYXVoAZA#

Terx2

I'm ok for a sequel as long as they return to the true dark biomechanical alien like monsters. In corporating a sinster life cycle similar to the xenomorph. Twisted monsters like the alternate fifeild mutation or something along those lines are ok. And a story about retracing the engineers steps to find an unholy monster on a death destroyed world. Or omething along those lines.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed