Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,063 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 19, 2020, 02:29:03 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 17, 2020, 10:43:49 PM
I'll take self-indulgent and interesting any day over bland and safe, and while overall I do quite like Blomkamp, that latter is definitely how I felt about his Alien pitch.

Prometheus is definitely the worst of the six Alien films, but Covenant, in my opinion of course, is almost up there with Aliens and Alien 3 and I'd be very upset to not see it followed up on by Riddlez himself.

You saw Blomkamp's Alien pitch?????

Just what everyone else has seen–Ripley, Hicks, and Newt, alive and well post-Aliens in an alternate Alien 3. Not really my jam, even if some of the art (mostly the stuff of the WY facility) was pretty neat.

Perfect-Organism

I was not down for Ripley in an Alien costume.  I can't picture any good plot that results in that.  But Hicks, Newt, and Ripley returning has always been the foundation of my wheelhouse.

Nightmare Asylum

If the story's right I'd roll with it, but as a pretty big fan of Alien 3, it'll definitely have to really win me over to get me on board with a partial reboot like that.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 18, 2020, 10:34:15 PM
There was a discussion of crossovers. Here's a list I found:

https://www.cbr.com/aliens-xenomorphs-comics-crossovers/

Includes Buffy crossover, no sign of Galaxy Quest crossover.

It wasn't really a crossover. More an appearance.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=63329.0

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 19, 2020, 03:04:21 AM
If the story's right I'd roll with it, but as a pretty big fan of Alien 3, it'll definitely have to really win me over to get me on board with a partial reboot like that.

I've come to terms with the fact that many fans will never agree on this point.  That's totally fine.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just come from a different era in regards to this series.  For me it all started when I watched Aliens and then the original Dark Horse comics came out.  I jumped on board with with the Nelson / Verheiden series with issue #2.  That will always be my defining Aliens story.  I compare Alien 3 against the Verheiden series and it falls way short.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Alien 3 myself.  It's a terrific film.  I still want a different film to continue where Aliens left off though.  I think Disney / Marvel recognizes that, and that's what we'll get.

I'm a long time Marvel fan too, since well before Aliens came out.  Hawkeye / West Coast Avengers.  That was my thing...

Nightmare Asylum

Yep, I definitely get that. And if done well, I could definitely enjoy an alt-Alien 3 as some sort of alternate universe, provided that it does some interesting things beyond just "saving" Hicks and Newt. I am pretty curious about the Walter Hill version.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 19, 2020, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 19, 2020, 03:04:21 AM

I've come to terms with the fact that many fans will never agree on this point.  That's totally fine.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just come from a different era in regards to this series.  For me it all started when I watched Aliens and then the original Dark Horse comics came out.  I jumped on board with with the Nelson / Verheiden series with issue #2.  That will always be my defining Aliens story.  I compare Alien 3 against the Verheiden series and it falls way short.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Alien 3 myself.  It's a terrific film.  I still want a different film to continue where Aliens left off though.  I think Disney / Marvel recognizes that, and that's what we'll get.

I'd definitely be up for dialing it back until the close of Aliens and another direction. I think the general public would love it. Like T1 and T2, within the majority opinion, the first two films are the only ones in the series praised and put upon a pedestal, but they've not looked too fondly upon Alien3 - most don't even know what the Assembly Cut is - nor Resurrection.  But if they handle it properly like Halloween 2018, there is so much exciting potential, especially with Newt to lead the franchise into the future in both film and EU. The only thing that will be rough is having to watch a portion of our die hard alien fan friends who adore Alien3 come to terms with its exorcism. That won't be fun.

Kimarhi

I don't mind continuing the Aliens era of storytelling AS LONG AS it is a complete reboot.

If we have 70 year old sigourney weaver running around then no. 

Nightmare Asylum

I'd rather just see a story set post-Alien 3 centered around WY's last-ditch efforts to get their hands on a sample, to be honest. No Ripley, no reboot, a story that can stand basically on its own two feet while still existing in that sort of post-Aliens timeframe in terms of the look and feel of the universe.

TC

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 19, 2020, 02:44:33 PM
I don't mind continuing the Aliens era of storytelling AS LONG AS it is a complete reboot.

(If we're talking movies...) I know this sounds paradoxical, but I think a complete reboot is a more respectful way to rework an established series than a partial retcon.

If you break into the existing Alien film franchise, and with Blomkamp we're talking about doing that after the ending of Aliens, then the retcon of what follows feels like you're snubbing all the Alien 3 and Resurrection fans. (I'm sure the Res fans exist).

Whereas by going back to the beginning and starting afresh with a new series, which in this case means finding some new way of launching the Alien cinematic universe, it leaves the original film series intact. The originals don't disappear, they will always be there to be enjoyed as their own thing.

The model I'm thinking of is the Planet of the Apes franchise. I have a nostalgic liking for the original films (the ones starring Roddy McDowell) and continue to watch them on blu-ray. But the reboot versions with Andy Serkis are pretty fantastic too. To me, they co-exist together very well.

TC

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TC on Jul 19, 2020, 03:34:01 PM
The model I'm thinking of is the Planet of the Apes franchise. I have a nostalgic liking for the original films (the ones starring Roddy McDowell) and continue to watch them on blu-ray. But the reboot versions with Andy Serkis are pretty fantastic too. To me, they co-exist together very well.
TC

They do? It's like having two Ripleys. They feature two totally different Caesars. And how do you reconcile contrasts like the Apes being used as menial human slaves in the original films only to rise up and conquer over their captors, versus what we got in the new films?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TC on Jul 19, 2020, 03:34:01 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 19, 2020, 02:44:33 PM

(If we're talking movies...) I know this sounds paradoxical, but I think a complete reboot is a more respectful way to rework an established series than a partial retcon.

If you break into the existing Alien film franchise, and with Blomkamp we're talking about doing that after the ending of Aliens, then the retcon of what follows feels like you're snubbing all the Alien 3 and Resurrection fans. (I'm sure the Res fans exist).

Whereas by going back to the beginning and starting afresh with a new series, which in this case means finding some new way of launching the Alien cinematic universe, it leaves the original film series intact. The originals don't disappear, they will always be there to be enjoyed as their own thing.

TC

I can't imagine anyone doing a remake of Aliens or Alien for that matter that would be better than the originals.  Parts 3 and 4 are distant bronze medal finalists compared to the original two.  Those first two films are among the best films ever made by humanity, in any genre.

I'd be ok to see someone try to redo them, but the odds of success in terms of actually being better than the originals would be slim to none.

Rambo

I wonder what Marvel's habits have been around releasing copious variant covers (thinking of Archie/Predator II) and bonus comics with games, home video releases, conventions and figure. It's only a minor piece of the landscape moving forward, as long as we get good content, but I was never a fan of the excessive variant covers. I do enjoy a limited release bonus comic though. I'm sure it varies by each of their series, hopefully they are creative.

Nightmare Asylum

Marvel tends to do a million variant covers on issue #1s, and then a few variants on each subsequent issue. As for media-tie ins, they definitely do a lot of that, though sometimes it comes a little while after the media drops rather than right around the same time. The Mandalorian, for example, is going to finally be getting a comic that ties into its story sometime in the next few months, about a year after the debut of season one of the series.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Rambo on Jul 19, 2020, 06:11:42 PM
I wonder what Marvel's habits have been around releasing copious variant covers (thinking of Archie/Predator II) and bonus comics with games, home video releases, conventions and figure. It's only a minor piece of the landscape moving forward, as long as we get good content, but I was never a fan of the excessive variant covers. I do enjoy a limited release bonus comic though. I'm sure it varies by each of their series, hopefully they are creative.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it AVP that started the whole variant covers thing?  I may be mistaken, but the first time I recall seeing variant covers was Dark Horse Presents #36 - the issue where Aliens and Predators first come together...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed