Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLC Playthroughs

Started by Adam802, Oct 06, 2014, 10:38:13 PM

Author
Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLC Playthroughs (Read 60,359 times)

Hudson

Has anyone actually played these for themselves yet?

SM

QuoteThe incident on LV426 was thus after it became operational.

Depends if specific dates beyond the year are mentioned.  Then there's only the small problem of the transmission a fraction of a light year away.

QuoteThe station isn't decorated 'period' - it's decorated and outfitted the way it was when it opened, and it hasn't been updated since.

But the Nostromo was old in 2122, meaning Sevastopol was fitted out in outdated decor.

Of course none of this is remotely game breaking by any stretch, and 99.99% of people won't even notice, let alone give a shit.

Vertigo

But aren't the interiors of these vessels supposed to primarily be austere functionality? If you step from a 70s submarine to a post-millenium sub, you'll see better equipment, but the decor will be roughly equivalent; we're not talking about someone's living room.

SM

Equipment is one thing (and as Xenomorphine pointed out on another thread, I think they went a bit too retro with some of the computer graphics).  The padded wall thing they have going on is more about look than function though.

I love that's it's evocative, but I think they should've used that as a starting point and speculate a decade or two beyond that.  And in other parts of the station, maybe they do.

swarm87

swarm87

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 06, 2014, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: swarm87 on Oct 06, 2014, 11:14:17 PM
too bad CA didnt want to keep Lambert's death the same, would have been nice to see what the alien did to her.

I agree.  Even though our glimpse in the film is brief, I don't see why CA didn't get creative an expand on that notion just a wee bit.  GBX had no reservations about showing us Hudson and I'm positive that anything CA would've done with Lambert would have made more sense than that.

Quote from: swarm87 on Oct 06, 2014, 11:14:17 PM
would have cool to stumble across the eggmorph nest

I'm cool with the lack of an eggmorph nest because that scene was only in the director's cut and not part of the "official" theatrical release.  Forgiven.

im just saying that it is alluded to in the art-book(havent played the game yet just going by the information of page 153 for those that have the book), there is some kind of nest; since to my knowledge there is only the one alien and its not a queen i'd assume that the game performs eggmorphing on the population, and and if so, it would have been a nice inclusion to the DLC.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xhan on Oct 07, 2014, 07:50:19 AM
It clearly says 2122.

Also wanted to point out that I just read a log that says Sevestapol was already built and failing prior to Seegson buying it. So it's been around a while. It also goes on to stat that due to mismanagement of the shipping lanes between Thedus and Earth, the station was barely seeing any traffic and nearly failed.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 08, 2014, 11:46:14 AM
Quote from: Xhan on Oct 07, 2014, 07:50:19 AM
It clearly says 2122.

Also wanted to point out that I just read a log that says Sevestapol was already built and failing prior to Seegson buying it. So it's been around a while. It also goes on to stat that due to mismanagement of the shipping lanes between Thedus and Earth, the station was barely seeing any traffic and nearly failed.

Glad to see they went all out with the depth of the story.

EDIT:

Also, is there some kind of non-spoiler reason as to why the Sevastopol looks so similar to the Nostromo refinery?

thecaffeinatedone

Maybe Weyland-Yutani/Seegson don't design all of the interiors. Maybe they have some other outfit doing it?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

My carefully considered scientific theory would be that the Sevastopol was cobbled together from all the bits & pieces of the Nostromo and it's refinery floating around in the system. That would explain why the station looks like a patched up Nostromo refinery and why the interior decor is the same. Waste not, want not as I always say.

You're welcome.

Corporal Hicks

Like I always say, Space-Ikea. Pre-fabricated components/designs/rooms/ships.

thecaffeinatedone

On a note not related to Space-Ikea and recycling designs. Did anybody else have a slight nerd-rage when you run through the hallway and hexagonal room that lead directly to the narcissus ...and you notice how the room isn't brown/black and there's no ladder...and it's much larger and white and plain looking? That kind of made me just a tad upset.

Hudson

Hudson

Finally got the game in the mail today. Didn't have any time earlier to do much other than play Crew Expendable for a few minutes. Gotta say, I'm not actually all that impressed with the Nostromo. The lighting seems way off on A-deck and the galley actually doesn't even look screen accurate from my rudimentary understanding of its layout. The cabinet area and bar-thing seem to be...not screen accurate.

I haven't completed it yet, but also have to say the voice acting is really "meh." Skerritt sounds like he's half asleep. The Ash impersonator does sound pretty similar though. Wasn't all that impressed with Veronica or Yaphet either.

So I've probably played it a total of 10 minutes in 2 sittings. I have to say, holy shit, the Alien is pretty stressful. I got killed by it twice, and then after completing one of the objectives I just waited in the room because I could see it on the tracker somewhat nearby. It wouldn't go away, just sort of circled the area, and I really didn't want to get in the vents so I just waited because getting too close to the door meant it would open and reveal me. Obviously I'm going to come back to the game later when I get off work, but so far I am impressed despite my nitpicks. I might not actually start the main game yet and just get accustomed to the controls and the feel for things by working on the DLC modes. The music is pretty effective. It goes ballistic when the Alien is close and really didn't help my nerves. I mean I played this DLC for about 2 or 3 minutes before I got into the tense parts and was pretty impressed that it kicked in so soon and became so stressful. Props. It's exactly the game they sold.

Also have to say, B-deck seems pretty extensive. I thought the landing leg chamber was on C-deck? I might be mixing them up because I haven't seen others really comment on this. 

EDIT:

So, these two pieces were frankly what I was really looking forward to when it came to this game's release. I'd always envisioned a more advanced adaptation of Alien as a videogame. Final thoughts: Last Survivor and Crew Expendable were worth pre-ordering the game for, but they didn't totally blow me away.

Crew Expendable seems a little longer because you have a bunch of objectives, but I'd imagine a speed-run of this could be done pretty quickly in one go if someone got good enough, say less than 15 minutes? I played it on hard, and once I sort of realized what you can get away with as far as the Alien is concerned, the game seemed a lot more manageable. The voice acting is neat, but there's not a whole lot of it. This section is kind of strange because it really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the movie. I'm guessing this is how the actual plan would have been executed? One of the things that disappoints me is that the characters who are alive are just not around a whole lot. You exchange dialogue only a couple times and then end up talking to Ash and Lambert on a headset for the later portions. Also, what the hell is up with the landing claw room? It doesn't look ANYTHING like it does in Alien. I'm guessing this is because the ship is kind of recycled from the Torrens, but still. Overall, it is fun though. It drops you right into the action and it's a little Nostalgic. Really wish they would've used more of Goldsmith's score because some of the tone of the film is left unpreserved in the translation.

Last Survivor was a lot more quick and a lot more tense. It felt just as urgent as the sequence in the film, and it's pretty damn accurate in recreating what takes place. It was cool getting to activate the self-destruct and the following events I can only imagine would be excellent on PS4 or XB1. Nothing is terrible on PS3, but I would definitely love to see it on a next-generation system. The smoke and the alarms and Ripley singing to herself are really atmospheric and immersive. This is probably a step up from Crew Expendable, but it's a pretty different experience. This one feels way more true to the film for obvious reasons, but also the tone of the experience is way closer.

Overall, enjoyed the two DLCs. I kind of wish there was something to be earned though. No trophies or anything and it doesn't appear that there's a leaderboard. These two minigames seem like perfect opportunities to utilize the survivor mode objectives and scoring systems actually. Too bad. They just end, and then you go back to the main menu.

Corporate Merc

So where the hell is the Last Survivor dlc? All I've got is the Crew Expendable and survivor mode.

Hudson

Quote from: Corporate Merc on Oct 13, 2014, 01:24:15 AM
So where the hell is the Last Survivor dlc? All I've got is the Crew Expendable and survivor mode.

Pretty sure Last Survivor was a Gamestop pre-order exclusive.

newbeing

Kinda glad I got these two as preorder bonuses. They're way too short and not deep enough to be worth any additional cost.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed