Just come out with it Blomkamp!

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 27, 2015, 01:10:50 PM

Author
Just come out with it Blomkamp! (Read 6,349 times)

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 27, 2015, 03:29:30 PM
They wake up, Alien 5 happens, that's all. If what has been said is to be believed Alien 5, or whatever they decide to call it, will follow on from Aliens, and by process of elimination that means Alien 3 has to go. Blomkamp didn't seek out to destroy Alien 3, but the story he wants to tell requires it not to have happened.

The definition of a retcon.

Obviously Alien 3's story or A:Rs will always exist, it's just strange having a fork in the road suddenly appear whenever you get to the end of Aliens.

No fork, just:
Alien- Theatrical Cut, Aliens- Theatrical Cut, Alien³- Assembly Cut, Alien: Resurrection: Special Edition.

Prometheus, Alien- "Director's Cut", Aliens- Special Edition, Neill Blompkamp's- AL III EN.

Alien³

Alien³

So you're saying to viewing order for these movies go something like this... ;)

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 04:18:43 PM

http://images.viralnova.com/000/044/972/optical-illusions-gifs7.gif

If you want to watch them all chronologically in one weekend then, but you should watch one or the other of the "sagas" presented.

Nightmare Asylum

Odds are I'd just wind up watching them in release order most of the time, if I wanted to see everything.

And if I was ever in the mood for a particular story (A - As - A3, A - As - this) I'd just choose appropriately.

Born Of Cold Light

If a multiverse is created, I wouldn't mind seeing a comic or some other kind of media in the future having Ripley 8 and biosuit Ripley teaming up.

Rankles75

Rankles75

The film's only just been announced! Probably won't be any concrete info for a while yet...

SpreadEagleBeagle

They wake up, Alien 5 happens, that's all. If what has been said is to be believed Alien 5, or whatever they decide to call it, will follow on from Aliens, and by process of elimination that means Alien 3 has to go. Blomkamp didn't seek out to destroy Alien 3, but the story he wants to tell requires it not to have happened.

Obviously Alien 3's story or A:Rs will always exist, it's just strange having a fork in the road suddenly appear whenever you get to the end of Aliens.

Exactly. It's a retcon. He just doesn't want to sound like a lazy hack that's all

Son Of Kane

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 04:55:19 PM

Exactly. It's a retcon. He just doesn't want to sound like a lazy hack that's all

Lazy hack?

LOL

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 27, 2015, 01:35:55 PM
i assume this is what the hype is about:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/414333-neil-blomkamp-suggests-alien-5-will-not-rewrite-franchise-continuity#/slide/1
This makes me laugh. The first sentence of this article starts off: "Continuity fans..."

As if, mofo.

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 04:18:43 PM

http://images.viralnova.com/000/044/972/optical-illusions-gifs7.gif

I enjoy your posts.

Alien³

Born Of Cold Light

You know, Blomkamp has really actually inspired me, both through his own vision and the potential marginalization of Alien 3 and Resurrection, to get my butt in gear and to create my own Alien epic set right after Resurrection.  Who knows what it will lead to?

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think what Blomkamp means by having it be connected to ALIEN and ALIENS, is that the events in the film will directly relate to those events and not necessarily cast out the events in the other films. For instance, the derelict perhaps...

There is a simple way to explain the timeline issue.

The easiest way for it to make some sense is if the scientists lied to Ripley 8 and Weyland-Yutani IS the government or needed the government to fund the experiments. They were 'operating outside of regulated space' after all, so... Since W-Y headquarters features prominently in Blomkamp's concept art and in A:R Ripley is told the company doesn't exist anymore that would have had to of been a lie.

Building on that, it's entirely possible to say that the Scientists who wanted to keep the Ripley 8 clone alive, were working under orders from the company that were hidden from the military operation, like ASH in Alien had orders the rest didn't know about. Here's the trick: They were also lying about a lot of things to Ripley 8. For instance, about it being 400 years later, so she would feel hobbled and alone, during their studies and wouldn't try to contact anyone and be more likely to give up info. Sort of like the lies we tell terrorists and suspected criminals during interrogations.

That would also explain Hicks. As a matter of fact the film could open with Ripley 8 locked in a lab, tortured and being tested on by the company, trying to figure out how to use her DNA or reverse the effects of the black goo on someone and have Hicks come and rescue her. It would be very easy to explain that lie to her, or by that point she could just know.

That said, I believe what Blomkamp means to say is that his film will relate directly to the events in the first two. And that if anything, A:R separated itself from them and he will return to that. The above would also explain how ripley is no longer 'categorically' ripley 8.

Son Of Kane

I doubt he'd jump through all those hoops.
Especially the Ripley 8 part (When he directly stated Ripley 8 won't be featured)- sounds like wishful thinking on your part.
Also Hicks being alive?

C'mon, people stuff like this is grasping at straws with the information we have.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 27, 2015, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 04:55:19 PM

Lazy hack?

LOL

Nothing to laugh out loud about. It's quite sad actually.

Son Of Kane

It is something to laugh at because you're wrong.[\i]

For the time being that is because District 9 is fantastic, I disagree with you about what you said about the second half.
And he admitted Elysium was essentially a failure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed