POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Feb 19, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film eliminate ALIEN 3 and ALIEN Resurrection from the canon?

Strong Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say No
Strong No
Whatever happens happens.
Author
POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series? (Read 20,528 times)

Ulfer

Ulfer

Ripley's story ended when she sacrificed herself. Ripley 8's story could end with Alien Resurrection : the movie had a kind of "end of the cycle" quality.

But if Weaver (such a great actress) wants to be in Alien V, the easiest way of doing it is, of course, to continue the story, with a kind of ultimate confrontation (conceptually speaking, because I'm quite sure many think that the "ultimate confrontation' would look like a prolonged equivalent of the scene in AvP where there are thousands of xenomorphs against several predators on the summit of their pyramids  ::)).
The problem being that conceptually speaking this particular brand of alien has been dissected in four movies, and Resurrection has already done the "let's mix aliens with human and the reverse".
It's a general problem for a fifth Alien movie : it can't be content with the strict application of an already known recipe. At least for a demanding Alien enthusiast like me. When I read many comments here and elsewhere, I wonder if I'm the only one who would like a good (or very good) movie in the absolute, not in terms of "it satisfies my Alien fan instincts".

There are other possibilities, for instance : 1/ a new timeline (so a retcon) with Ripley - there are problems with that ; 2/ no Weaver, and a new story, that can happen any time between the events after Prometheus and the future of Alien 4.

One of the problem with the first possibility is the fact that Alien 3 has a very strong end for the character of Ripley. It makes the initial three films, well, a trilogy, that, even though it was not conceived as such, has coherence in the end.
Of course, there are the complaints about the death of two beloved characters. You've seen GOT or read A Song of Ice and Fire, so it should not be a problem any longer.  ;D
It's maybe too much to override two movies - the third and the fourth - for the fifth, no ? It would be arrogant, above all if the new movie is clearly not a masterpiece.

But it's a period where this kind of thing happens quite easily, so I would not bet. The most important thing is to have a great movie, with its spirit and individuality...

(You will have understood I'm quite skeptical in what regards the power of some concept arts on many fans...).

Nightmare Asylum

I'm just along for the ride at this point.

whiterabbit

I wonder what everyone would prefer, a return to a single alien or an entire hoard of them.

Kel G 426

Can't help but say yes.  I want Ripley and Newt to make it home to Earth and heal, to reclaim their lives from the nightmares as was intended.  I want Bishop and Hicks to continue the fight.

And I want Scarlett Johansson to play an adult Newt.  ;D

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

HA. the engineers space napped Ripley and Co and replaced them with clones! f**k alien3 and A|R right in the okole! Then in Prometheus 2 we learn that Ripley is the new god because she fulfilled the prophecy of being the chosen bitch and wiped out the sithy ALIENS with her bare hands!

RAWR! Ripley, hicks and Newt live as one big happy family all wrapped in a pretty bow. Because of this Shaw says f**k it and marries Davids disembodied head and everyone ewoks at the end. Yes engineers in togas. You can't beat shit like this guys.

Oh and lets call it, Alien: God has Returned!

Kel G 426

I want them to play the tune to Guile's theme for three and a half hours while Hicks kills all the aliens in the universe!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 11:46:10 PM
Prometheus trod a careful line in telling it's own story, with clear links to  A L I E N,  whilst allowing the  A L I E N  sequels to have gone in their own limited route unassailed.

I don't think Prometheus had a clue what it was doing.

I'm going to say no. The retcons in the novels and comics I can just about deal with. In an entire film, I don't want it. As much as I'd love to see a grizzled Hicks.

And if I can't have a gorgeous, well done exploration of the Ripley 8 character - I'm assuming Weaver will be involved - then a new standalone will do me just fine. Again, as long as it's gorgeous and well done. I'm inclined to have Ripley 8 in to finish off that particular story though.

Scree

I really hope the Alien series won't get Days-of-Future-Pasted with this. That would be really lame.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scree on Feb 20, 2015, 08:48:21 AMI really hope the Alien series won't get Days-of-Future-Pasted with this. That would be really lame.

Yeah. Time travel and alternate timelines and altered pasts with comic book characters, fine. But in an Alien movie? A series that for most of it's history was concerned with being realistic and gritty? No way.

RakaiThwei

Alternative timelines really don't have to involve time travel or cosmic interference for it to be considered an alternate timeline. I mean look at the Halloween movies and the Godzilla movies. The Halloween movies have the original timeline and the H20 to H-Resurrection timeline, no time travel involved there.

And the Godzilla movies.. Showa era, Heisei era and Millennium eras. No time travel involved in there (though in the case of the Heisei era-- with Godzilla vs Ghidora, there is time travel involved which undoes Godzilla 1954, Godzilla 1985 and Vs. Biollante). Okay so discounting the Heisei era, to my knowledge.. the Showa and Millennium eras don't have time travel.

Point is.. you don't need time travel or cosmic interference for alternate timelines.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Nice to see the Alien 3 fanboys out in full force today...

Marty1987

I love the first 3 Alien films but A:R was a mess, it would be interesting to see an alternate story after the events of Aliens

ChrisCFashion

Alien Resurrection is amazing movie and my favorite character is Ripley 8. I want see that Ripley 8 in Alien 5

Xenorgue

Xenorgue

I find that really very sad that the universe of Alien is limited to Alien the eighth passenger and Aliens the return for certain "Fan". You see I adored Alien resurrection and I prefer it to Aliens the return because I find the particularly glaucous atmosphere and I say myself quite that arrived because of a wreck in the depths of LV-426.
I am for Alien 5 but totally against a reboot. I go can be hurt certain "fan" but seriously the saga Alien it is not disneyland. The death of Hicks reminds us that the world where takes place the saga is cold and cruel. it not there no heroin only survivors. Then to wipe your tears fan boys of hicks but alien does not amount to Hicks. Why do not to enrich a little more the universe of Alien, with new characters, new planets

Spidey3121

I think it'd be easier to do a follow-up to Aliens than A:R. I remain indifferent, & only cautiously excited about this project, until more details are announced. I'd have no qualms w/ an alternative sequel to Aliens. It's not as if Alien 3 & A:R will cease to exist. That's all provided Weaver signs on. If not, there's 200 years to be explored between 3 & 4. C'mon, cloning Ripley is the only way for them to acquired Alien DNA? Something must have happened for them to be forced to go to such lengths.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed