Alien movies to be retconned?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 29, 2014, 12:30:59 PM

Author
Alien movies to be retconned? (Read 20,324 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2015, 03:23:27 PMThanks HuDaFuk.  I think our mutual opinions on the retcon are both valid.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.  Regarding the Verheiden series, naturally it is up to you.  What Corporal Hicks (I think that's who it was if I recall correctly) and I were trying to point out is that the Verheiden series is incredibly well written from panel-to-panel.  The way each character is built and the witty, profound, cynical dialogue of the characters is absolutely superb and spot on for the Alien universe.  Verheiden captured the bleakness of Alien / Aliens like no other author ever has IMO.  That can only be appreciated from reading as opposed to from a review.  Cheers!

Sure. I have made it clear I am basing my preconceptions on a plot summary only.

Despite my reservations, I probably will track the comic down eventually. I am genuinely curious. It's just not at the top of my to-do list right now.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 25, 2015, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2015, 03:23:27 PMThanks HuDaFuk.  I think our mutual opinions on the retcon are both valid.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.  Regarding the Verheiden series, naturally it is up to you.  What Corporal Hicks (I think that's who it was if I recall correctly) and I were trying to point out is that the Verheiden series is incredibly well written from panel-to-panel.  The way each character is built and the witty, profound, cynical dialogue of the characters is absolutely superb and spot on for the Alien universe.  Verheiden captured the bleakness of Alien / Aliens like no other author ever has IMO.  That can only be appreciated from reading as opposed to from a review.  Cheers!

Sure. I have made it clear I am basing my preconceptions on a plot summary only.

Despite my reservations, I probably will track the comic down eventually. I am genuinely curious. It's just not at the top of my to-do list right now.
I actually had some money to burn so I bought all three xD

Corporal Hicks

Just buy the Omnibuses. Can't go wrong with £10er for 3+ comics in a single volume.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2015, 04:30:43 PM
Just buy the Omnibuses. Can't go wrong with £10er for 3+ comics in a single volume.

I strongly disagree with you on this one Hicks.  Man you do not look just like I feel  ;-)

The omnibuses 2-6 can definitely be enjoyed as they are presented in the combined volumes, but volume 1 is the retcon of the original Verheiden series and it just just butchers the original story.  I say if anybody wants to enjoy the original Verheiden series, buy the three original graphic novels with Hicks and Newt instead of Wilks and Billie.  Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 is nothing but a farce.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2015, 04:47:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2015, 04:30:43 PM

I strongly disagree with you on this one Hicks.  Man you do not look just like I feel  ;-)

The omnibuses 2-6 can definitely be enjoyed as they are presented in the combined volumes, but volume 1 is the retcon of the original Verheiden series and it just just butchers the original story.  I say if anybody wants to enjoy the original Verheiden series, buy the three original graphic novels with Hicks and Newt instead of Wilks and Billie.  Aliens Omnibus Vol. 1 is nothing but a farce.

The Wilks/Billie retcon was a bit stupid but I honestly don't think that it's that harmful to the enjoyment of the story.

Perfect-Organism

Naturally that is a valid personal opinion but...

The Verheiden series was built on people's emotional investment in the Aliens film and its main characters.  This is largely why the series was so successful.  Are you sure you're not subconsciously substituting Wilks and Billie for Hicks and Newt as you read this retcon?  Aliens Omnibus Volume 1 IMO is the worst sort of palimpsest imaginable.  It is Dark Horse's most ignominious moment.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8os-IfZhg#ws

The new film will be a reboot starting after Aliens. Thread locked (you can discuss further developments in the other threads).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed