The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 108,461 times)

thecaffeinatedone

Oh I definitely think that I may have some quips about the Alien A.I., from all the reviews I've read that does seem to be a constant point that's given. But that probably won't stop me from enjoying it.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

The only time I've seen the alien AI glitch is once in these few days before the pre-Day 1 patch, and that was a very, very, very rare instance. It was mostly damn smart.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: St_Eddie on Oct 05, 2014, 01:13:30 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Oct 05, 2014, 01:09:43 AM
This is different because of the context of A:CM, which had almost no positive reviews whatsoever. To have a few negative reviews of this against the majority of people who are either saying "This game is awesome" or "this is one of the best survival horror games ever" is a really strong intidactor that I'm going to enjoy the game.

Oh, I'd agree with that.  As I said; I myself am remaining (somewhat cautiously) optimistic.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make certain negative reviewer's opinions "wrong".

it doesn't make them wrong...

it makes them heathens

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I have no idea if the patch will help, I assume it will. It's not here yet. But I've only seen the AI seem to go blind once.

thecaffeinatedone

Ah, gotcha gotcha.

Vrastal

Vrastal

once doesnt sound bad at all. Its probably a 1 out of a few thousand and more instances

WinterActual

Ferazel

Ferazel

It's become apparent that there are reviewers who get it and reviewers who don't (Gamesradar/The Escapist vs Gamespot/IGN). Based on the reviews that I've read, I think the game is going to be great as long as you understand it and not on a deadline to review it. ;) If you're expecting a crafted game experience where you feel like you have power and influence over the game; Where you feel like a powerful protagonist that makes you feel good about yourself, I think you're going to be disappointed. However, if you're expecting a brutal Alien simulator, the game seems to fire on all cylinders. This is the game I wanted and I'm glad that CA had enough guts to stick to their guns and not dumb it down. No audio/visual indicators for the players letting them know who was "aggrod" and who wasn't. No fixed alien paths that you can plan ahead and game the system with. This is truly a simulated experience and I'm looking forward to picking up MY copy on Tuesday.

I think that the big review sites really need to look out for the more casual gamer that has a passing interest in the game. These are your Diablo/Madden/GTA gamers. I don't want to make this into a pissing match, because I do like some of those games too. However, CA sounds like they wanted to do something different. Something that hadn't been done before. I don't think the reviewers were ready and it shows. I think a similar problem happened when Demon Souls was released. By the time Dark Souls came out, the reviewers had caught up to what the developers were trying to do and the series receives critical acclaim.

Oh on a side note, can anyone link or explain to me the love that brits have of the Alien franchise? As an American I don't understand. I understand that it was filmed there, and the british director of the first one is a living legend, but is there anything else that I'm missing? Was it required viewing in school or something?

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Quote from: Ferazel on Oct 05, 2014, 05:47:08 AM
Oh on a side note, can anyone link or explain to me the love that brits have of the Alien franchise? As an American I don't understand. I understand that it was filmed there, and the british director of the first one is a living legend, but is there anything else that I'm missing? Was it required viewing in school or something?

As a Brit happily living in the US with my American wife and kids, I would say that the Brits love for the franchise is pretty much the same as anywhere else.

Razz

Razz

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 05, 2014, 04:56:08 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/9780-Alien-Isolation-Survival-Horror-Review

Probably the best review so far, imo.
I was waiting for his review to drop, this pretty much cements my purchase.

robbritton

robbritton

They're amazing films and we're ordinary human beings?

WinterActual

WinterActual

The best review is still yet to come http://www.biogamergirl.com/ It would be the most accurate one for sure.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ferazel on Oct 05, 2014, 05:47:08 AMcan anyone link or explain to me the love that brits have of the Alien franchise? As an American I don't understand. I understand that it was filmed there, and the british director of the first one is a living legend, but is there anything else that I'm missing? Was it required viewing in school or something?

What a bizarre question.  It's akin to myself, as a Brit, asking "can someone from America explain the obsession that you guys have with Dolly Parton?"

It's not as though every British person loves the 'Alien' series.  It terms of the ratio of people who dig it, people who dislike it and people who are indifferent towards it; I can't possibly imagine that it's any different to America.  It's not as though as a Brit, when I'm interacting with a fellow Brit, we immediately start waxing lyrical about the 'Alien' films.  I don't think that your average Brit would even know that 'Alien' was shot in England, much less be a fan of the series.

In fact, the last time I brought up how much I like 'Alien' with a relative stranger was when talking with someone down at my local pub (we were getting to know each other by talking about our favourite films).  When I mentioned 'Alien', they responded with "oh, right... I saw 'Alien Vs Predator' on TV a while back.  It was okay, I guess".  I rolled my eyes, of course but the point is that not every British person is a fan of the series.  That's because Britain is comprised of individual people, with individual tastes, much like in America or any other Country for that matter.

LARGE

LARGE

What does nationality has to do whether you like science fiction or not? Im russian/bulgarian and a love star wars, fight club, pulp fiction and all the alien movies.   

The Alien.. its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility. I admire it's purity - a survivor unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.

The perfect organism.

Taxemic

Taxemic

It's become apparent that there are reviewers who get it and reviewers who don't (Gamesradar/The Escapist vs Gamespot/IGN). Based on the reviews that I've read, I think the game is going to be great as long as you understand it and not on a deadline to review it. ;) If you're expecting a crafted game experience where you feel like you have power and influence over the game; Where you feel like a powerful protagonist that makes you feel good about yourself, I think you're going to be disappointed. However, if you're expecting a brutal Alien simulator, the game seems to fire on all cylinders. This is the game I wanted and I'm glad that CA had enough guts to stick to their guns and not dumb it down. No audio/visual indicators for the players letting them know who was "aggrod" and who wasn't. No fixed alien paths that you can plan ahead and game the system with. This is truly a simulated experience and I'm looking forward to picking up MY copy on Tuesday.

I think that the big review sites really need to look out for the more casual gamer that has a passing interest in the game. These are your Diablo/Madden/GTA gamers. I don't want to make this into a pissing match, because I do like some of those games too. However, CA sounds like they wanted to do something different. Something that hadn't been done before. I don't think the reviewers were ready and it shows. I think a similar problem happened when Demon Souls was released. By the time Dark Souls came out, the reviewers had caught up to what the developers were trying to do and the series receives critical acclaim.

You're on AVPGALAXY, reading and commenting on a review thread about an ALIEN game, asking why Brits love ALIEN?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed