Aliens Novelization Giveaway

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 18, 2014, 09:45:51 AM

Author
Aliens Novelization Giveaway (Read 16,200 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Once again, thanks to our friends over at Titan Books, AvPGalaxy is giving away three copies of the recent re-print of Alan Dean Foster’s Aliens novelization.

“The official novelization of the explosive James Cameron sequel to Alien, featuring the return of Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley!
Ellen Ripley has been rescued, only to learn that the planet from Alien – where the deadly creature was discovered – has been colonized. But contact has been lost, and a rescue team is sent. They wield impressive firepower, but will it be enough?”

180514_01 Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

In order to win a copy all you need to do is “Like” the AvPGalaxy Facebook page and share the competition post. There are no location restrictions on this competition. The competition closes at 12pm GMT on 25th of May. The novel is officially available to purchase from Titan books now.

LastSurvivor92

I like the new cover they have for the novel :)

SM

SM

Did they put the swears back in?

Corporal Hicks

I haven't checked yet. Will do later.

Corporal Hicks

I checked earlier btw. It's not been edited to involve swears. There's still something strange about seeing Hudson ask "How to get out of this outfit?"

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2014, 07:05:59 AM
I checked earlier btw. It's not been edited to involve swears. There's still something strange about seeing Hudson ask "How to get out of this outfit?"

WTF?!?!? They took the cuss words out???? Are you kidding me!?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Then it's worthless, I wouldn't own it for free.

SM

SM

There never were in "cuss" words in the Aliens novelisation, so there was nothing to take out.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on May 20, 2014, 11:24:03 PM
There never were in "cuss" words in the Aliens novelisation, so there was nothing to take out.

They should just put those back in. Especially if they went through all that trouble to update the cover and stuff. You'd think they'd revise the novel and add some missing pieces, lines etc. Kind of surprised they didn't revise it at all!

SM

SM

Probably too expensive.

The new cover is probably a stock image.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Chronicle on May 21, 2014, 01:03:29 AMThey should just put those back in. Especially if they went through all that trouble to update the cover and stuff. You'd think they'd revise the novel and add some missing pieces, lines etc. Kind of surprised they didn't revise it at all!
If you're going to change everything so it matches the film, why not take out all the stuff that isn't in the movie while you're at it? Because that's not how ADF wrote it.

Bottom line, the book should've had swearing in to start with - anyone who knows anything about the military knows they swear A LOT. Having hardened soldiers totally avoid naughty words just sounds ridiculous. But they can't really retroactively change Foster's work.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, I mean they take away their guns, then they take away their harsh language. What the f**k are they supposed to use now?

LastSurvivor92

Alan Dean Foster I think did a DESCENT job on the novels. I think the novels themselves could of been a hell of a lot better though. I honestly felt like the Novelizations done by Foster. Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 were basically the films themselves just chopped down quite a bit. I didn't like the lack of detail. There wasn't any real moments of awe or good character moments. The books never expanded upon anything and most of all I didn't feel the fear or the roughness of space in his novels. It literally felt verbatim to the films themselves. Nothing new, Nothing special, same old same old.

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 21, 2014, 11:36:16 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on May 21, 2014, 01:03:29 AMThey should just put those back in. Especially if they went through all that trouble to update the cover and stuff. You'd think they'd revise the novel and add some missing pieces, lines etc. Kind of surprised they didn't revise it at all!
If you're going to change everything so it matches the film, why not take out all the stuff that isn't in the movie while you're at it? Because that's not how ADF wrote it.

Bottom line, the book should've had swearing in to start with - anyone who knows anything about the military knows they swear A LOT. Having hardened soldiers totally avoid naughty words just sounds ridiculous. But they can't really retroactively change Foster's work.

Of course they can.  And he'd prefer if they did go back and put the swears back in.

QuoteAlan Dean Foster I think did a DESCENT job on the novels.

He wrote them while abseiling?

QuoteI think the novels themselves could of been a hell of a lot better though. I honestly felt like the Novelizations done by Foster. Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 were basically the films themselves just chopped down quite a bit. I didn't like the lack of detail. There wasn't any real moments of awe or good character moments. The books never expanded upon anything and most of all I didn't feel the fear or the roughness of space in his novels. It literally felt verbatim to the films themselves. Nothing new, Nothing special, same old same old.

You have read them right?  Alien novel had things like the food locker, and was the only source of the cocoon scene for many years.  Aliens stuck closer to the film, because Cameron barely deviated from his script, but again was the only source of all the deleted material till the Special Edition came along.  And Alien3 matched the workprint/ special edition rather than the much more cut down theatrical cut.  And that's before you get inside many of the characters heads.

"literally felt verbatim" lol  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on May 22, 2014, 06:04:31 AMOf course they can.  And he'd prefer if they did go back and put the swears back in.
The swearing, maybe. But retroactively adding back in scenes and dialogue so the book matches the film more closely (as Chronicle suggested)? Well then what's the point of even reading the book if it isn't different.

I quite like how Wierzbowski is basically the primary Marine in the book, until he gets offed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed