Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON?

Started by CainsSon, Aug 21, 2015, 03:16:53 AM

Author
Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON? (Read 9,612 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: GQSioux on Aug 26, 2015, 09:53:06 PM
Quote from: GQSioux on Aug 24, 2015, 11:15:51 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 21, 2015, 07:14:23 AM
Whilst not necessarily Cameron, I do feel it'd be beneficial for Blomkamp to get some help in the script area with Alien 3.2. No idea who though - can't really think of any particular person who has impressed me of late.

I think Alex Garland would be perfect for script duties.

Did you ever check out Dredd, Sunshine or Ex Machina?

Good point! I forgot about Dredd and Sunshine. I enjoyed both - thought Sunshine fell apart a bit at the end, but was still a good ride. Haven't seen Ex Machina yet but I've heard nothing but good things. I keep meaning to pick it up.

Xenomorphine

I loved the heck out of 'Dredd', but wish the writer(s) had paid more attention to Dredd's characterisation. there were a couple of scenes which felt out of character for him.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 27, 2015, 11:57:55 AM
There were a couple of scenes which felt out of character for him.

Spoiler
The part were he gave Ma-Ma a shot of slo-mo before shoving her through the window?
[close]

Xenomorphine

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 27, 2015, 12:48:30 PM
Spoiler
The part were he gave Ma-Ma a shot of slo-mo before shoving her through the window?
[close]

Spoiler
Brutally beating up the thug in custody, along with the part where he let the homeless guy off with just a warning. He's meant to take the law to a ridiculous, utterly by-the-book extreme.
[close]

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 27, 2015, 09:17:59 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 27, 2015, 12:48:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Brutally beating up the thug in custody, along with the part where he let the homeless guy off with just a warning. He's meant to take the law to a ridiculous, utterly by-the-book extreme.
[close]
Spoiler
Brutally beating the thug in custody -- understandable by any means.

Letting the homeless guy off -- "but prioritize the murders?" "Correct" -- would have been completely illogical to put that before the murders.
[close]

Xenomorphine

Spoiler
it just felt very out of character. Dredd shouldn't have crossed the line into such an obviously illegal act in the first case, while he'd have just called in back-up to take care of the vagrant. His entire personality revolves around going to extremes to uphold the law by any possible means. He's a walking stereotype.

I did like the film, as I say, it's just that those two scenes feel like they should have been written differently.
[close]

NickisSmart

Cameron's probably pretty busy working on Avatar anyways or riding around in a submarine in the trench of some deep ocean looking for NTIs. At this point, Cameron was pleased with the work that was done in Terminator 5. If he approves that film (and to be fair, it was a pretty nice tribute to Cameron's work) then I think he'll probably approve of Blomkamp's "return to the roots" that he probably has planned for Alien 5.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 27, 2015, 09:17:59 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
The Judge brutality bit didn't bother me too much. Ma-Ma had just pulverized an entire floor with her mini-guns and dozens of innocent bystanders were killed. Dredd had to get information out of Kay to figure out why she went to such extremes in order to minimize further civilian casualties.

With regards to the vagrant, the Lawbook might have stated that a warning should be issued if it's a first offence. If that was the case Dredd would still be following the law to the letter.

But giving Ma-Ma a hit of Slo-Mo before chucking her off the top of the building just seemed a little bit sadistic and vengeful for a man that doesn't really harbour much in the way of emotions. And I can't imagine that the lawbook would approve of such an action either.

There was another iffy scene that was cut from the film and replaced with alternate footage. After Zwirner exists the overturned van, Dredd shoots through an innocent woman who was blocking his aim. He then tells her a medvan is on the way and she need not worry 'cause he deliberately didn't hit any vital organs.

[close]

TheBATMAN

It would make sense to at least to consult with Cameron on his thoughts of the continuing adventures of his family unit of Ripley, Newt and Hicks.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 27, 2015, 07:38:18 AM
Quote from: GQSioux on Aug 26, 2015, 09:53:06 PM
Quote from: GQSioux on Aug 24, 2015, 11:15:51 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 21, 2015, 07:14:23 AM
Whilst not necessarily Cameron, I do feel it'd be beneficial for Blomkamp to get some help in the script area with Alien 3.2. No idea who though - can't really think of any particular person who has impressed me of late.

I think Alex Garland would be perfect for script duties.

Did you ever check out Dredd, Sunshine or Ex Machina?

Good point! I forgot about Dredd and Sunshine. I enjoyed both - thought Sunshine fell apart a bit at the end, but was still a good ride. Haven't seen Ex Machina yet but I've heard nothing but good things. I keep meaning to pick it up.

Don't miss it! Really classy stuff.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 28, 2015, 02:01:51 PM
It would make sense to at least to consult with Cameron on his thoughts of the continuing adventures of his family unit of Ripley, Newt and Hicks.

Totally, blomkamp's whole premise revolves around doing justice to James Cameron's aliens.  It makes sense to consult with the master.

D. Compton Ambrose

Who was it that wrote Insidious and The Babadook? Whoever it was, if they put their mind/s to it they could write something pretty friggen scary.

SpreadEagleBeagle

"Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON?"

Big-ass NO. Cameron has done enough already as it is.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 29, 2015, 10:01:43 PM
"Should BLOMKAMP and SCOTT pursue story input from CAMERON?"

Big-ass NO. Cameron has done enough already as it is.

Do you mean that in a sense like he's somehow damaged the franchise?  Seriously?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Cameron TURNED THE ALIENS INTO BUGS. The creators of the first film NEVER INTENDED THE ALIEN TO BE INSECT-LIKE OR INSECT-INSPIRED. No WAY IN HELL. Cameron is EVIL. To this day, his diet consists in drinking the tears of Alien purists.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed