Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 73,791 times)

Perfect-Organism

Any word on the Isolation novelization?  Wasn't that supposed to be coming out soon?  I wonder if it will reflect any plot additions that are in this series...

Local Trouble

I hope ADF writes it and peppers it with references to the alien's ancient origins.

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2019, 03:34:44 AM
I hope ADF writes it and peppers it with references to the alien's ancient origins.

He knows its the right thing to do.

Stitch

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 28, 2019, 03:27:32 AM
Any word on the Isolation novelization?  Wasn't that supposed to be coming out soon?  I wonder if it will reflect any plot additions that are in this series...
Postponed to... July(?)

Perfect-Organism

Ha!  Yah.

I think that the whole angle in Covenant where David get's the author of the play wrong gives the notion that he is wrong about the origin of the Aliens as well.  I hope that is the case.  I'm fine with him adding some biomechanical elements to the Alien design, but I also really like the Ancient idea.  That's been the way that I've seen the Alien for 30 years.  There's something really otherworldly about discovering an ancient Alien ship full of eggs that are still alive after countless millennia.  I do also like David's madness and hubris however.  I'm a bit torn about how I feel about his creation.

SM

Quote from: Stitch on Feb 28, 2019, 03:40:45 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 28, 2019, 03:27:32 AM
Postponed to... July(?)

Yes.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 28, 2019, 03:39:27 AM

He knows its the right thing to do.

Unspeakably ancient.  The ensuing debates will be cosmic.

Oasis Nadrama

Am I the only one to frankly hope there's some restructuration going on?

Because really, I must insist, the plot of Alien Isolation is functional for a video game. If the structure stays the same, it will just be a CHORE to watch.

At the very least they have to remove 90% of the problem-solving, which means some entire arcs, and also they need one or two additional characters, or a vastly expanded role for the existing ones. The encounters with the extras amongst Sevastopol, either frightened or murderous ones, wouldn't do the trick.

This shit urgently needs pacing, bouncing, stronger characters and stronger thematics.

SM

It's not just watching someone play a video game.

SiL

Obviously there's going to be restructuring. It's a narrative short series, not a Let's Play.

Are people actually thinking this is literally just cut scenes and mocked up third person gameplay cut together or something? Are we really this stupid as a fan base?  ???

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2019, 04:02:24 AMAre we really this stupid as a fan base?  ???

TC

TC

Quote.., 20th Century Fox has expanded on Alien: Isolation by taking the cut scenes from the 2014 game and adding in new story beats ...

This gives me cause for optimism.

7 x 10 min episodes = 70 min total

Once they've been edited together (and they will be by someone -  you can count on it ) that's long enough duration to require a decent act structure. Fingers crossed those additional scenes do the trick.

TC

Local Trouble

Just imagine the canon debates when (not if) this takes necessary liberties and actually conflicts with the game.

Prez

I'm actually looking forward to this.
As someone who has only played the game briefly but is a big admirer of it (I simply don't have the time or patience (balls) to play this long term) this looks quite cool.

I'm always up for anything new in the AEU.

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2019, 04:02:24 AM
Obviously there's going to be restructuring. It's a narrative short series, not a Let's Play.

Are people actually thinking this is literally just cut scenes and mocked up third person gameplay cut together or something? Are we really this stupid as a fan base?  ???

It's obvious it needs restructuration, but I'm scared at the idea it doesn't get enough of it.

And the story definitely needs some new strength, not only because the original structure wouldn't work, but also because the main quality of Alien Isolation was its violent, almost uncompromising gameplay. No one played it for the story; we played it to have the first real video game Alien experience. It would have been almost as good without cutscenes at all.

With this series, this crucial aspect is gone. Isolation will have to rely entirely on its art direction (which luckily is near perfect), framing/editing and story. That's quite the challenge.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed