Alien 3 references?

Started by esz, Dec 24, 2015, 06:43:20 AM

Author
Alien 3 references? (Read 5,139 times)

esz

esz

So I turn on the game for the 10000th time and suddenly notice the trademark note right after the FOX logo: "Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 are trademarks...".

They didn't mention A:R nor AVP movies. They specifically mentioned the first three movies - probably because they used assets from / references to all of them. Aliens' stuff is obvious: the look of the hive, the idea there's a queen somewhere.

So, what are the Alien 3 references? Has anyone noticed anything?

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: esz on Dec 24, 2015, 06:43:20 AM
So I turn on the game for the 10000th time and suddenly notice the trademark note right after the FOX logo: "Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 are trademarks...".

They didn't mention A:R nor AVP movies. They specifically mentioned the first three movies - probably because they used assets from / references to all of them. Aliens' stuff is obvious: the look of the hive, the idea there's a queen somewhere.

If you are talking about the game Alien 3 then there is the alien handlers and the correctional facility.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

There weren't any commandos/dog handler's in this?

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 24, 2015, 07:13:04 PM
There weren't any commandos/dog handler's in this?
Oh crap sorry i went on unread forums,i did not know that he was talking about AI :-X :-[

windebieste

windebieste

Some pieces of soundtrack and digitigrade legs come to mind. 

-Windebieste.

esz

esz

Which pieces? A3 has a pretty outstanding and memborable soundtrack, and frankly, I haven't heard any of it in the game.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: esz on Dec 24, 2015, 06:43:20 AM

It's to do with the licensing.

SEGA's license covered the first three films, same as was the case for A:CM. That's the only reason why A3 is mentioned on the logo screen - they had to put it there for legal reasons whether they ultimately used elements from A3 or not.

QuoteAliens' stuff is obvious: the look of the hive, the idea there's a queen somewhere.

Don't forget the protagonist.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Axel looked like he belonged in Alien 3. It could also be speculated that the facehugger that infected Foster was a royal one, spawning a queen and the initial drone that stalks the first half of the game...

esz

esz

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 28, 2015, 03:25:21 PM
It's to do with the licensing.

SEGA's license covered the first three films,

But how do you know that? I googled a bunch of news from 2006 about Sega getting the rights to the Alien franchise. It seems the press pack didn't specify which movies, and Fox owns all the series, so why wouldn't they get A:R as well? It's got some memorable cues, scenes, and besides - they use A:R alien's legs and overall look all the time in various media.

They had to license A3 for A:CM because of the DLC where they go to Fiorina in the last cutscene.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

SEGA obtained a license for the right to develop 3 games from 20th Century Fox several years ago that covered the Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 films.

The games they produced with that license were Aliens: Infestation, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Alien: Isolation. The copyright/legal information on all three games are exactly the same on the title screens. I guess they didn't bother with A:R since no-one apparently likes the movie and it would probably have cost SEGA extra.

That said, the cryo tubes from A:R featured in A:CM as well as elements from Prometheus such as Fifield's mapping spheres, so I guess a few small references here and there was permissible even without a proper license.

Alien: Isolation was specifically based on the first movie with only Amanda and a hive with an absent queen acknowledging Aliens. So even though they didn't really bother with Aliens and Alien 3 on that game the license still covered all three movies which means they still had to get the legalese on the title screen right.

QuoteThey had to license A3 for A:CM because of the DLC where they go to Fiorina in the last cutscene.

They also released a multiplayer map DLC featuring the Fiorina Fury Leadworks.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 29, 2015, 04:01:51 PM
They also released a multiplayer map DLC featuring the Fiorina Fury Leadworks.

Good map too. For all its flaws, I did enjoy A:CM multiplayer.

robbritton

robbritton

I think the only overt Alien 3 reference are the posters warning about lice, which is pretty clearly a nod to the shaved head lice problems of Fury 161. That aside, there is some music concrete stuff which is very reminiscent of some of Elliot Goldenthal's bits in places.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

The huge, square ceiling vents are also kind of reminscent of Andrew's death in Alien 3.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 25, 2015, 03:24:30 AMSome pieces of soundtrack and digitigrade legs come to mind.

I remember thinking some bits of the score sounded a bit Alien 3-y, although I can't put a finger on any specific parts off the top of my head.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 29, 2015, 04:32:47 PMFor all its flaws, I did enjoy A:CM multiplayer.

Same. It still looked like crap, but it was at least fun slaughtering Marines as an Alien, and customizing your Marine was pretty cool. The multiplayer was infinitely better than the main game.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Axel Fielding would fit right in with the lovely people on Fiorina "Fury" 161. Staff or inmate - doesn't matter

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed