Alien & Predator Blu-ray to 4K Comparisons

Started by Voodoo Magic, Oct 29, 2019, 03:44:15 PM

Author
Alien & Predator Blu-ray to 4K Comparisons (Read 28,248 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2019, 04:26:08 PM
That last shot of Ripley coming up the ladder on 4k is way too dark.

They all seem a bit too dark for me.

It doesn't stay that dark. There's constant strobes and off-and-on lights. But the moments of non-lit flickering dark beats is much darker on the 4K than BLU.

Did it look this way originally, theatrically, I think is the question.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2019, 04:26:08 PM
That last shot of Ripley coming up the ladder on 4k is way too dark.

They all seem a bit too dark for me.
The scenes with Ripley in the corridors during the countdown look much nicer in motion - probably my favourite scenes from the 4K restoration. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful deep orange colour coming from the flashing emergency lighting overhead. These colours are definitely an improvement on the standard BD release.

There is some black crush, but ALIEN was always a dark film. The contrast is greatly improved - Lambert is caught in the (now more) powerful spotlight from the lamp on the trolley, and Parker is in near darkness in the storage locker. The strip lighting, seen throughout the ship, contrasts nicely with the shadowed walls and ceilings.
Skin tones and colour saturation are more realistic compared to the jacked up colours from the 2010 BD - and best of all - no teal & orange wash.
The scenes on the planet's surface are now a forbidding, bluish-grey and not purple, and Kane's environment suit is back to its original tan colour and not green.

After experiencing the 4K 40th anniversary release, there's no way I'll be going back to the 2010 disc - except to revisit the (inferior) DC - which has been unfortunately neglected (upscaled additional material and no CGI enhancements) in favour of the original 1979 theatrical cut on 4K UHD BD.

Huggs

The shot of everybody with Kane is noticeably darker to me.

The faces of Dallas, Lambert, and Brett in particular. It looks like Blu-ray still gives 95% visual quality but with a more visible picture.

Lord help us when the AVPR 4k hits shelves. They'll have to put "By Dirk Maggs" on the cover.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 31, 2019, 08:27:45 PM
After experiencing the 4K 40th anniversary release, there's no way I'll be going back to the 2010 disc - except to revisit the (inferior) DC - which has been unfortunately neglected (upscaled additional material and no CGI enhancements) in favour of the original 1979 theatrical cut on 4K UHD BD.

Well we all know the DC is not the version Ridley prefers, so I wasn't personally surprised, other than it being inserted haphazardly in the first place.

rabernathi

Amazing work!!, thanks for sharing and taking your time  :), i consider my self a bluray vs 4k comparison fan.

I do prefer bluray in some scenes tough, but the definition on 4k is tons more sharper.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: rabernathi on Nov 13, 2019, 01:28:39 AM
Amazing work!!, thanks for sharing and taking your time  :), i consider my self a bluray vs 4k comparison fan.

Thank you! I do appreciate it! 

You can count on me for all your A&P 4K to Blu substandard comparison analysis as well as your AvP Requiem I-actually-can-see-sh*t needs!  ;D

I do prefer bluray in some scenes though, but the definition on 4k is tons more sharper.

Yeah unfortunately with Predator 1987, I lean towards the Blu-ray, waxy Dillon and all.

rabernathi

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 13, 2019, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: rabernathi on Nov 13, 2019, 01:28:39 AM

Thank you! I do appreciate it! 

You can count on me for all your A&P 4K to Blu substandard comparison analysis as well as your AvP Requiem I-actually-can-see-sh*t needs!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_0V9lEJEw

Thanks!! Looking foward to it and yes AVP-R need a miracle more than just 4k  ;D
I do prefer bluray in some scenes though, but the definition on 4k is tons more sharper.

Yeah unfortunately with Predator 1987, I lean towards the Blu-ray, waxy Dillon and all.

I know!, thats something that kind of bothers but is still Predator!! Jajajaja

Voodoo Magic

Katanu

Damn, I wish AvP-R looked that bright on my TV (regular HD TV, not 4K).
Hopefully it'll be like that when I upgrade in the future.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, there's a handful of us that can see AvPR just fine, but it sucks that the rest have to suffer. I just wish the they would fix it some day. It might take another AvP movie and a box set to do it one day, which is probably unlikely.  :-\

Katanu

Yeah, thay's what I hope for too, since it's release.
I can watch the movie and understand what happens just fine if I adjust the brigthness. But damn, in your video it looks much better, I could see a lot of details in the creatures that is completely lost in my tv. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll have a 4K tv too.
By the way, the digital version of AvP-R that is sold in the playstationstore and stuff, does anyone know if it's the unrated version?

The Old One

The Old One

I can at see the argument for parts of the Predator Blu-ray over the 4K, Alien? No.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 12, 2019, 04:15:32 AM
I can at see the argument for parts of the Predator Blu-ray over the 4K, Alien? No.

So you picked up Predator 4k and at least partially see the bones I was picking?

The Old One

The Old One

Seen part of it on a friend's TV so not quite.

judge death

I think this might be the best place to ask:
I have the alien vs predator and reqiuem on DVD, and was wondering which avp collection box or movie versions are the best ones and I should get?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed