Prometheus International Poster

Started by Darkness, May 10, 2012, 06:07:37 PM

Author
Prometheus International Poster (Read 18,423 times)

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 11, 2012, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 11, 2012, 01:01:46 PM
No over-reaction... the head is not 100 ft. tall... so why would it be in the poster?
I never remember the egg floating in space with green mist in the first movie... it'called artistic licence.

It's called stupid...  It gives people the idea the head has scale that it doesn't... FWIW I am not fond of the original cover either, the egg doesn't look the same, the light implies opening at the bottom, and I don't remember the net...

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 11, 2012, 02:24:35 PM
No over-reaction... the head is not 100 ft. tall... so why would it be in the poster?
I never remember the egg floating in space with green mist in the first movie... it'called artistic licence.

It's called stupid...  It gives people the idea the head has scale that it doesn't... FWIW I am not fond of the original cover either, the egg doesn't look the same, the light implies opening at the bottom, and I don't remember the net...

Oh, come on now  ;D You're surely arguing for the sake of it here.

It's a f@cking classic!

I'm also going to go against the grain here and confess that I love the image Imax are using for their international poster. Not half as much as the first poster mind, but the urns carry this beautiful, ominous presence. Very 'Ridley' with all that smoke  ;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

What a lame poster... Meh...

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 11, 2012, 07:38:59 PM

How about this bad boy?

ryanjayhawk

When I first saw the Alien VHS box at my local grocery store video section... (yes they used to exist) the image disturbed me, but once I had seen the movie and looked at it more, it didn't translate to anything I had seen and it didn't make sense, not even in a cool abstract way.

I think the head could have had more presence if it had been done to larger scale, but since it wasn't it bothers me that these posters give it all this scale... it looks 50 ft. tall in the poster...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Nevermind the head. What about the ampules? They're Ginormous!

Master

Master

Quote from: Virgil_uk on May 11, 2012, 08:02:17 PM

How about this bad boy?

It`s fine example of old Polish school of posters. All of posters in that era were strange and abstract but they were also art. Nowadays all posters are done in photoshop...

SM

SM

Don't worry, giant French Noomi head will protect you!

And we'll call in wrong scale Kong and Fay Wray just in case too.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

It's called stupid...  It gives people the idea the head has scale that it doesn't...

Same could be levelled at the original Jaws poster... or the original Star Wars ones (that bear little resemblance to what actually goes on in the movie). Accentuating the shape/size of the thing to look more imposing than it actually is, may be the idea. You don't have to like it, but it doesn't make it bad.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: Master on May 11, 2012, 09:59:02 PM
Quote from: Virgil_uk on May 11, 2012, 08:02:17 PM

How about this bad boy?

It`s fine example of old Polish school of posters. All of posters in that era were strange and abstract but they were also art. Nowadays all posters are done in photoshop...

I wasn't complaining  :) and I agree with you that there's a severe lack of this type of poster today.

Gash

Gash

Quite like it, and the alt version a little further up. Nice to see a poster going for iconography rather than just a cast line-up composite.

Ooze on First

It's strange how the big-giant-head seems to look different in nearly every pic (or poster) I've seen of it.
Perhaps it's just due to the differing angles of reference.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 11, 2012, 11:15:15 PM

It's called stupid...  It gives people the idea the head has scale that it doesn't...

Same could be levelled at the original Jaws poster... or the original Star Wars ones (that bear little resemblance to what actually goes on in the movie). Accentuating the shape/size of the thing to look more imposing than it actually is, may be the idea. You don't have to like it, but it doesn't make it bad.

I would argue that the original Jaws poster was much closer in scale, and its a painting so it gets a pass from me there...  The Star Wars poster was a painting and was the characters large over a background.  The Prometheus Poster is not a painting, and the designer just increased the scale of the head in the same scene making it much larger than it actually is...

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 12, 2012, 01:15:43 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 11, 2012, 11:15:15 PM

I would argue that the original Jaws poster was much closer in scale, and its a painting so it gets a pass from me there...  The Star Wars poster was a painting and was the characters large over a background.  The Prometheus Poster is not a painting, and the designer just increased the scale of the head in the same scene making it much larger than it actually is...
Not really - if you look at the radius of the mouth of the shark in the poster, it makes it about circa 50 ft. Compare it to the production still of Spielberg lying in the mouth of the Shark. As for The Star Wars posters - yes indeed things were over scaled. Vader's head is usually a giant head in the background and Han & Leia in the 'Empire' poster dwarf everything else, in a pose that was never in the movie.

Those posters being 'painted' is largely irrelevant as one either excepts the creator can use artistic licence or not. The poster for Prometheus isn't an onset production still, it's a stylised rendition of a scene/moment (we expect), and as such the artist in question is scaling up the size of the head for dramatic effect. I don't think anyone will come out of the movie thinking "well I feel cheated by the size of the head". ;-)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed