Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A

Started by shamash, Apr 10, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

Author
Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A (Read 69,764 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 13, 2012, 04:34:16 AM
Where and when did the 'the derelict crashed' retconn start?

Err... What do you mean by retcon in this case? As far as I know the idea has been brought up many times over the years and never really been agreed one way or the other. Some behind the scenes stuff has often suggested it landed there, but many fans have suggested it was a crashed ship. So I don't really think there's any major retconning going on. :)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Not exactly off topic but here's a few things maybe someone could explain for me!!

...though please excuse a little ranting first...

I recently saw a movie called The Hunger Games, recommended to me by friends after reading the book, so I was dragged along too. It wasn't exactly a bad film, just so long and unnecessary on too many occassions, I almost fell asleep watching it half way through,lol. But here's the thing! That movie is 142 minutes long, rated a 12a here in UK (the equivalent of PG-13 in the States), but there wasn't one time in the first week (except the really late showings) the queue to see it wasn't right round my local cinema, so clearly the length of a PG-13 film doesn't necessarily affect its popularity, yet it doesn't appear anyone at FOX nor Riddles himself, gave this any thought with their puny 119 minute effort.

So why is this movie really finding it so hard to get a PG-13 rating, while Scott continues to lay the blame firmly with the MPAA (for reasons I'm curious about), and Rothman is quite happy defending everything because he knows he can't lose, I shudder to think what's going on behind the scenes. Like most films, I assume an uncut verson of Prometheus was made anywhere up to 180 minutes long, most of which would have been cut by the director and his assistant several times over before the MPAA sees anything, mostly unwanted material, resulting in a final cut for them to decide what needs to go in order to gain the required rating, which they still haven't done.

Also with Prometheus it sounds like there were two seperate cuts made, an 'R' cut first for the DVD/Blu Ray, then a PG-13 cut from the same thing for the cinema release, is that right??? Anyway, reports suggest up to 17 minutes have supposedly been cut from this 'R' rated version in order to get that PG-13 the studio wanted, so one would assume the film was made with PG-13 in mind, but if that was the case what did FOX submit to the MPAA which they ended up cutting so much from before the movie even got an 'R' rating. Indeed, after all that, why is it the MPAA STILL haven't finished when, for all we know, they could realistically cut Prometheus down to 90 minutes before they are satisfied!! 

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here and someone else knows more about the film editing process than I do, but something tells me we're being screwed with this movie. Old Riddles is going to get his version out anyway so I doubt he's even bothered (he probably never wanted a PG-13 just like the rest of us), while those of you who prefer to pay extra for the pleasure of seeing Prometheus in 3D may lose out twice, especially if the medium doesn't do the it any justice (I've yet to see any live action movie really do 3D justice), while I suspect Rothman is laughing all the way to the bank even if this film only breaks even!!

...end of another rant!  lol 

Glaive

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 13, 2012, 04:34:16 AM
Where and when did the 'the derelict crashed' retconn start?

What rettcom?...this is canon, brudda!!

Zeta Reticuli

Quote from: RoaryUK on Apr 13, 2012, 05:25:50 AM
Not exactly off topic but here's a few things maybe someone could explain for me!!

...though please excuse a little ranting first...

I recently saw a movie called The Hunger Games, recommended to me by friends after reading the book, so I was dragged along too. It wasn't exactly a bad film, just so long and unnecessary on too many occassions, I almost fell asleep watching it half way through,lol. But here's the thing! That movie is 142 minutes long, rated a 12a here in UK (the equivalent of PG-13 in the States), but there wasn't one time in the first week (except the really late showings) the queue to see it wasn't right round my local cinema, so clearly the length of a PG-13 film doesn't necessarily affect its popularity, yet it doesn't appear anyone at FOX nor Riddles himself, gave this any thought with their puny 119 minute effort.

So why is this movie really finding it so hard to get a PG-13 rating, while Scott continues to lay the blame firmly with the MPAA (for reasons I'm curious about), and Rothman is quite happy defending everything because he knows he can't lose, I shudder to think what's going on behind the scenes. Like most films, I assume an uncut verson of Prometheus was made anywhere up to 180 minutes long, most of which would have been cut by the director and his assistant several times over before the MPAA sees anything, mostly unwanted material, resulting in a final cut for them to decide what needs to go in order to gain the required rating, which they still haven't done.

Also with Prometheus it sounds like there were two seperate cuts made, an 'R' cut first for the DVD/Blu Ray, then a PG-13 cut from the same thing for the cinema release, is that right??? Anyway, reports suggest up to 17 minutes have supposedly been cut from this 'R' rated version in order to get that PG-13 the studio wanted, so one would assume the film was made with PG-13 in mind, but if that was the case what did FOX submit to the MPAA which they ended up cutting so much from before the movie even got an 'R' rating. Indeed, after all that, why is it the MPAA STILL haven't finished when, for all we know, they could realistically cut Prometheus down to 90 minutes before they are satisfied!! 

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here and someone else knows more about the film editing process than I do, but something tells me we're being screwed with this movie. Old Riddles is going to get his version out anyway so I doubt he's even bothered (he probably never wanted a PG-13 just like the rest of us), while those of you who prefer to pay extra for the pleasure of seeing Prometheus in 3D may lose out twice, especially if the medium doesn't do the it any justice (I've yet to see any live action movie really do 3D justice), while I suspect Rothman is laughing all the way to the bank even if this film only breaks even!!

...end of another rant!  lol

the movie i'm going to see in the cinema will be a two hours teaser for the final cut that i will get a few months later.
i will enjoy it and watch it with great anticipation for the complete uncut thing.  :P

Divpax

Divpax

I don't really care in the slightest about the rating. What I do care about is the run time and if it has been heavily cut. Small shots of blood being cut out is fine but once you start messing with the run time by 20-30 minutes then we will have an underdeveloped and confusing mess like the theatrical cut of Alien 3, and we don't want that do we?

Kol

Kol

i reconsidered my thinkings 'bout the run time... and i came to one conclusion: the 2 hours only will affect largely on the first screening (when you see the movie for the first time), a bit disappointing not spending 3-4 hours in the universe of prometheus.

but when prometheus becomes our favourite movie (of all time) and we'll watch it once in a week, when released on dvd, the 2 hours (+ 17 min) will be en0ugh, i think/hope.

even aliens special edition became a bit too long in those years. but i won't dare watching the theatrical cut once of aliens.

T Dog

T Dog

The 17 minutes thing was NOT in relation to Prometheus.

Kol

Kol

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 13, 2012, 11:44:50 AM

for which movie then?

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 13, 2012, 11:44:50 AM

I think he was either referring to Robin Hood or Kingdom of Heaven. I'm steering more towards the latter, due to the two completely opposite reactions to the Theatrical Version and the Director's Cut. I've never seen so much diverse reactions to two versions of the same film - except for maybe Blade Runner. But then again, Kingdom of Heaven had about 45 minutes of additional footage, when Robin Hood did in-fact have about 17 minutes. But seeing as Ridley forgot Yaphet Kotto's name, I don't think it's outside the realm of extreme possibility that he made have simply gotten mixed up with which film had the specific amount of minutes cut.

Has anybody else noticed that Ridley's hearing seems to be going! Everyone of these on-stage interviews he's done for Prometheus he's had hearing difficulties and blames anything but his own hearing, haha.

ThisBethesdaSea

RoaryUK......puny 119 minutes??? ;) get over it. That's like looking at a plate of food, and complaining that you won't get filled up before you even eat. Give the damn thing a chance. :)

NGR01

NGR01

Yes he said he cut 17 minutes from one of his recent movie that damaged the story.
He didnt want to say what movie.

A friend journalist who had a one on one interview asked him about the lenght Scott said hewas very happy with the 119mins cut. Once the shit start to hit the fans the events unfold quickly.
The movie is mean and lean he said. No fat.
He did not wanted to dwell into what has been cut, what to expect for the BR.

I'm not expecting a cut as long as KINGDOM OF HEAVEN but more like 15/20 more minutes.
From what i know you can't cut big chunk of the story and still make it work like he did wi (th KOH.
It will probably have to do with the tone, violence, some background( like Shaw's father scene).

Valaquen

There was about 40 minutes cut from Kingdom of Heaven.

RoaryUK

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 13, 2012, 11:58:04 AM
RoaryUK......puny 119 minutes??? ;) get over it. That's like looking at a plate of food, and complaining that you won't get filled up before you even eat. Give the damn thing a chance. :)

Of course I'll give it a chance lol, still puny though  ;D

Glaive

The average length of ANY theatrical film is around 90 minutes.

T Dog

T Dog

Anyway back on topic.

At the heart of it, he's pretty much a sell out.

He's 73? You would think he'd give less of a shit about pleasing the studio and just making a last stab at perfection.
Does he relish in his legacy of a man who pleased the studio heads?  He lets them distort his vision at the end of the day.

I suppose the problem is, he's part artist part business man part just doing a job. He referred to his movies as "just a job" during one of the q and a's. Says it all really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed