Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 69,976 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 18, 2019, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 18, 2019, 12:14:04 PM
That video isn't a good comparison; the comments point out that the colour space is changed from the actual 4K to what's shown, resulting in weird colours.

Thanks for the clarification. I found another comparison and yes - it's looks great.
Here
https://alien-archives.com/2019/04/12/alien-40th-anniversary-4k-uhd-review/
And here
https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=2127

Iooking at the screenshots I think the D-Theater version looks best.

Thanks for sharing this Drukathi.

This is what I was worried about:

"Every time the original negative of Alien has been scanned for a fresh remaster, the color of the final product has had to be re-graded and approved by Ridley Scott—and each time, Scott has favored the film to have a slightly different look.
"

Now they continue to say the 4K is the closest to the theatrical color yet, but does anyone remember Kane looking so blue here, theatrically?

Elmazalman

I didn't like the 2010 Blu-ray release at all. The teal & orange cast, the (excessive) black crush, contrast boost and cropped image, turned me right off.

From what I've seen (screen caps) and read, the new 4K edition will have more natural colours and none of the above issues to hobble the presentation. The 4.1 audio (I believe) is also lossless.

The only disappointment (for me), being the sh*t cover art (both egg and Alien versions).

Very much looking forward to seeing this.

Nightmare Asylum

Mine came in today. No 4K setup to watch it though. :D

Elmazalman

Got my copy early and have just finished. A BIG improvement over the 2010 release - natural colours are back and the teal and orange is gone. The colours are desaturated compared to the 2010 Blu-ray and look much more realistic. Compare the colour of Parker's green cotton shirt between the two releases (the close up shot of him after slamming the incinerator unit down on the table).

The Space Jockey reveal has thankfully been fixed - no neon green spacesuit for Kane - his original tan-coloured suit is back.

Had a look at the DC and am happy with the new colour grading for the DC scenes. The scenes, whilst upscales, don't detract too much from the 4K material either side of it.

All the edits made to the DC are there but not the updated effects - added stars and the three helmet lights, rounding the rock formation during sunrise, are missing - basically the DC without the reworked visual effects. This may qualify as a third version of the DC?

I was hoping the audio would be fixed for the overhead shot of Brett (exclusive to the DC), you can hear his footsteps while still standing motionless, looking around for Jones.

I enjoyed this 40th anniversary edition. A definite step up from the 2010 Anthology release.

Darkness

I think I preferred the teal/green look of the original transfer but maybe it's because that's what I've been used to all these years. I don't think the HDR makes all that much of a difference because it is supposed to be a dark movie.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 23, 2019, 06:50:03 AM
I think I preferred the teal/green look of the original transfer but maybe it's because that's what I've been used to all these years. I don't think the HDR makes all that much of a difference because it is supposed to be a dark movie.
Not me - no way! But I will keep the 2010 Blu-ray for the DC.

BountyHunter

So...if the shorts aren't on this, does this mean we're getting them on their own separate blu ray release?

Only reason I was buying this was for the shorts.

SiL

You get links that take you to the final shorts online.

Whiskeybrewer

Means i can save some money then

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BountyHunter on Apr 23, 2019, 12:05:10 PM
So...if the shorts aren't on this, does this mean we're getting them on their own separate blu ray release?

Only reason I was buying this was for the shorts.
Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2019, 12:10:18 PM
You get links that take you to the final shorts online.

Only if you use the code in iTunes. I made the mistake of using it in Movies Anywhere, which does not support the short films.

talamak

talamak

Where/ when can I purchase just the digital copy? I can't find it on Amazon, google, vudu or Fandango.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've picked up my copy. I've not got a 4K setup to watch it on yet but I've got it.  :laugh:

Huggs

You know you're a true fan when you buy stuff you can't use yet.  ;)

We've all done it.

I've done it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 23, 2019, 06:20:09 PM
You know you're a true fan when you buy stuff you can't use yet.  ;)

I don't believe I've purchased product I can't use in regards to A or P, but I do have duplicates of releases.

Does that mean I'm not a truuuuue fan?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed