Original 'ALIEN' ending - Ripley dies? Alien speaks?

Started by StayFrosty, Nov 06, 2011, 05:07:58 AM

Author
Original 'ALIEN' ending - Ripley dies? Alien speaks? (Read 12,904 times)

SM

QuoteBecause it's an Alien film.

So a fan site has a forum about a film that was an Alien prequel once upon time but now kinda isn't, makes it official.

That's your argument?

:D

QuoteYeah, and that's semantics. A bunch of cast and crew related to Prometheus have come right out and said "yeah, it's an Alien film even if there isn't an Alien in it most of the time".

And on the other hand you have the guy in charge saying 'there's some links in the last few minutes'.  But what would he know.

Xenomrph

QuoteSo a fan site has a forum about a film that was an Alien prequel once upon time but now kinda isn't, makes it official.

That's your argument?
The opposite, actually - that it's clearly an Alien film, and that's why this site covers it.

QuoteAnd on the other hand you have the guy in charge saying 'there's some links in the last few minutes'.  But what would he know.
Like I said, I suspect he's just being coy and subtle (as Ridley Scott has been known to do) while other people involved in the movie are being more straightforward and forthcoming. If it's not an Alien movie, he's got a whole bunch of people working on the movie who think it is and are operating under that assumption, as I showed with the quotes posted on wikipedia. Seems like the sort of thing he'd want to rein in before his actors and scriptwriter get the wrong idea about the movie they're making.

Unless they're not wrong, that is. :)

Seriously it always struck me as self-evident that Prometheus was an Alien movie in all but name; saying otherwise is just semantics.

StayFrosty

Yeah, Xeno could be right. I've been saying it's possible that closer to the release, the film's title *could* actually be changed to "Alien: Prometheus", or something. It does make sense that Ridley would keep it hush hush.... when the trailers for the film come out, there could be a lot of buzz when it comes clear it IS an Alien film.... there might be more of a rush and a "panic" of people wanting to see it (which is a good thing come opening day). If he came out and said it's an Alien film all a long, there would be so much interest in the film that likely most of it could be leaked out, and also come opening day, it's possible the film would be old news, or people would just be bored of it already. This way we have a lot shorter of a time period to know what's actually going on.... and way more of an excitement when we find out.

Then again, I'm just speculating, and I do think it could go either way.

Any news on if Giger is involved in this movie? Kind of a bummer if he's not.

Xenomrph

I think he's involved in some sort of advisory role.

Also apparently Prometheus has an animatronic Space Jockey, and from the set photos and SDCC footage we've seen, the sets look like they're straight out of 'Alien'. It's really clear that it's an Alien movie that may or may not feature Xenomorphs, but that doesn't mean it's not an Alien movie.

SM

QuoteSeriously it always struck me as self-evident that Prometheus was an Alien movie in all but name; saying otherwise is just semantics.

Not semantics - simply being factual.

If it heavily involved Space Jockeys - contrary to my earlier statement - it could be seen as an Alien film.  But if the Jockies only show up in those last few minutes he's talking about, it's just a film that takes place in the Alien universe.

Xenomrph

Quoteit's just a film that takes place in the Alien universe.

Yeah, which makes it an Alien film. Debating otherwise is, like I said, semantics.

SM

Xenomrph

Sure I do, but thanks for the image macro I guess? The pinnacle of comedy. :D

You're debating what it means to be an Alien film (that's called semantics, by the way). It takes place in the same universe as the Alien movies, it just happens to not include the titular creature in a major role. By the standards of those working on the movie (except for Ridley Scott, depending on his mood), that's good enough to make it an Alien film.

Seriously this is the dumbest "debate".

Glaive

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 09, 2011, 11:16:02 PM
Sure I do, but thanks for the image macro I guess? The pinnacle of comedy. :D

You're debating what it means to be an Alien film (that's called semantics, by the way). It takes place in the same universe as the Alien movies, it just happens to not include the titular creature in a major role. By the standards of those working on the movie (except for Ridley Scott, depending on his mood), that's good enough to make it an Alien film.

Seriously this is the dumbest "debate".

...and yet, you're STILL here...

Xenomrph

What was the point of your post (made 4 days after the fact)?

Gieferg

Gieferg

;)

City Hunter Yautja

So the Xenomorph would speak in English.. this reminds me of.. oh wait:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gieferg on Mar 26, 2022, 10:25:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN6r-u7J02Q

;)

As much as I enjoy seeing someone have a go at it, not quite working for me.  :P

Kradan

You should be more respectful to schlock, Corporal

City Hunter Yautja

Having Ripley die would have made the ending too bleak. I like how the whole film has unnerving music and psycho-terror images, but ends with a person getting a good night sleep and concerto that is happy.

Although knowing Ridley intended for Ripley to perish makes Alien3 more interesting, since it ends with her dying. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed