Happy 20th Birthday AvP!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 30, 2019, 06:34:40 PM

Author
Happy 20th Birthday AvP! (Read 5,956 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I shelved AvP because I couldn't beat one of the Marine levels on DC, but finally beat it and completed the game shortly afterwards.  I was trying to play it too fast, I moved slowly the last time and proceeded at a snails pace and was ok. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

I remember beating the game with all three species quite a few times. It probably helped growing up in the 80's and 90's when many games were so difficult or poorly made that they could not be beaten. Games like AvP didn't seem too difficult compared to old NES platformers like megaman or castlevania.

In 98/99 I was 13, I spotted AvP at Best Buy and begged my parents to buy the game for me. I had already been a massive fan for long time by that point. When I installed the game it wouldn't work on our PC despite spending hours and hours trying optimize our computer to get it running. My parents returned it and I was heart broken. Not long after I convinced my folks to get AvP Gold Edition with the small hope that it would work. I don't know why but skirmish mode did work but that was it. I put untold hours into skirmish and I loved every moment of it, great memories.

To get the game to work I talked my dad into upgrading our graphics card to the Voodoo3 and after that the whole game ran perfectly.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Skirmish mode was something that AvP2 could've used.

I loved the bunker level where the Aliens would beat through the ceiling to get in.  I thought that was pretty advanced for the time.

In 98 I was also 13.  My only problem with the game was at the time I only had dial up, so I never got to play MP because my internet wasnt fast enough until way later.  By then people had played so long that they were unstoppable (or cheating) and there was no fun to be had. 

426Buddy

426Buddy

Lol same age nice.

I had dialup too but overtime I did manage to get a few good matches with some trial and error. Mplayer was a weird way to access multiplayer though.

All the work I put into trying the get the game to run is what led me to some forums extreme or something, cant even remember the name. But that led me to AvPNews and gamegossip after that, the good ol days.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I'm suprised people had troble with AVP Classic's difficulty, an issue I had with the game was that the player felt too overpowered. As a marine you are way too fast, you can dodge aliens attacks and your guns are quite strong, as a Predator you can fight off multiple aliens fine with only your wristblades since it got good range and damage, as an Alien you are so fast all enemies look like they are in slow motion, they die before noticing your presence.

In AVP2 you don't have such advantages. If the aliens get close to you as a marine you are screwed as you can't outrun them, if you try to go melee on 3+ aliens as a Predator you are screwed, as an alien rushing at an enemy that is too far won't go well. Primal Hunt was even harder. If I was to give AVP2's hardcore a 10 on difficulty, AVP's DC would like a 7 or 8.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I had no issues with the DC for the Alien, or the Pred, there was just one level I couldn't beat as the marine on DC, think it might've been the tyrargo, but this long ago I'm not sure. 

Anyways, my tactic of just running by everything was not working so I just slowed it down and got the smart gun and ended up beating it fairly easily. 

Russ840

Russ840

Wouldn't it be amazing if, for next years 30th Anniversary of AVP as a concept, we got ports of all the previous 4 games for consoles.

Samhain13

Samhain13

An official Redux release for previous games would be great.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Sure would!

Russ840

Russ840

AVP classic is my most wanted game ever on console. I hate setting up my laptop just to play it.

The Old One

The Old One

Anyone know how to modify this classic?
Such as altering a SP map.

The Old One

The Old One

21st in two months.

molasar

426Buddy

426Buddy

Still hard to believe it's been that long.

Russ840

Russ840

Been playing this classic again.  Been honing my speed running time for marine on Directors Cut.  Forgot how turned around you can get during mission 3 (Invasion).  I love how the levels can feel non linear.

Also been tweaking the game files to have the original intro/menu music and background, and original in game FMV messages (god I hate the later ones that the Rebellion staff recorded).

I simply love this game.  Every time I come back to it I am amazed how spot on the atmosphere is.

I am also working on a custom game case and bootable disc to have a modern, physical copy of the game.     

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed