A possible connection between Alien and Prometheus

Started by timiteh, Apr 19, 2012, 07:29:04 PM

Author
A possible connection between Alien and Prometheus (Read 5,961 times)

timiteh

Hi everyone,

I am new here and english is not my native language so i would like to apologize if i make some mistakes.
I have a theory which can tie Alien and Prometheus that i have not seen discussed yet.
What if the derelict ship in Alien was effectively there for thousands if not millions of years ?
When you think about it this ship could have crashed or landed on LV-426 a very long time ago, at least way before the Promotheus events.
Now, the Prometheus could explain the first encounter between modern human beings and Space jockeys or Space jockeys technology and especially the Space Jockey communication signal. These means of communications could have been recorded by the Prometheus and sent back to earth Weyland scientists who then would analyze it and learn to recognize signal from Space Jockeys technology.
Then decades later, Weyland-Yutani Scientists could have found out the signal from the Space Jockey ship crashed on LV-426, recognized this signal as a Space Jockey signal and then the company could have decided to send a ship, the Nostromo, to find out what kind of technology and/or legacy had been left by the Space Jockeys on this planetoid.
Thus what humans would learn in the Prometheus movie is that the Space Jockeys have life engineering tech and how to identify Space Jockeys communications Signal and/or technology.
Thus what Weyland-Yutani expected to found out on LV-426 was some legacy of this technology.

If this theory is true then the creatures of Prometheus could ever be Proto Xenomorphs or more recent evolution of Xenomorphs.
What do you think ?

Snowdog

Or the xenomorphs in prometheus are much further in evolution cuz the jockey ship in alien is extremely old with old lifeforms perhaps. Wouldn't mess up continuty because all the aliens seen in the 4 alien movies are connected to the jockey ship from the first alien of some sorts.

btw i do like you're theory a lot ;)

T Dog

Good theory.

I like new refreshing theories.

Nightmare Asylum

Interesting. It also kind of puts the Alien films in a different light. Did WY even know what they wanted? For all we know, in the first movie, they thought they were sending the Nostromo to find Engineers, not the titular Alien.

Vulhala

Not bad at all.

And FYI, you're English is spotless mate :)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 19, 2012, 08:13:59 PM
Not bad at all.

And you, on the other hand, used the wrong form of "your" ;)

And to branch further off this theory, I wonder how much Engineer technology we will see, and what the characters will make of it. Worthy of being used by Weyland's bio-weapon division, perhaps? Maybe, when they are unable to get their hands on Engineer tech in Alien, it was by sheer luck that they came across another life form that could be useful to their needs.

Eva

My hope is that the connection between the films, will mostly consist of thematic resonance, followed by new information about the space jockeys/engineers, from which we can extrapolate information/clues about what the deal was with the original derelict ship, it's pilot, cargo and purpose. We will most likely also witness how the future Weyland-Yutanis paranoid agenda to secure alien life forms, originated. Good stuff imo.

What I don't want are direct answers to the above, spoonfed to me in some contrieved fashion. Contrieved plot developments or twist surprises to tie the films more closely together.

This is basically why I dislike the various (some more outlandish than others) theories that has emerged recently - Weyland is the engineer, David becomes an engineer, Doc Emmett Brown could be the engineer, the original space jockey will be revealed to be a Prometheus crewmember inside a suit etc etc bla bla....

But that's my sensebilities towards Prometheus...

Welcome timiteh - your English is just fine so no worries  :)

Michael Harper

I like this theory. Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof has stated on several occasions that the film is connected to Alien by DNA only. Of course having seen the trailers we know there is a little more than DNA - but, this theory could really explain the whole "DNA" thing. Perhaps in the final eight minutes we will see this "Alien" further along on the evolutionary scale. It wouldn't contradict Alien by having a more "perfect organism", or more extraordinary beast! In fact, I think it would do only to make the original more scary than it already is. Because this way, we'd be seeing some sort of ancient terror which the Space Jockey's may have created when they were possibly at our stage. This leads me to the theory that the whole 'Humans Building Robots' part of the story could mirror the 'Space Jockey's Building Biological Creatures' - and, the original Alien would be their first attempts at creating the "perfect organism."

Now I really like to think that the Alien is actually the first artificially created organism by the Space Jockeys, and that what we see in Alien is an ancient evil of sorts.

Vulhala

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 19, 2012, 08:26:36 PM
Not bad at all.

Wow. That's a f**kin' fail write their.

Predaker

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 19, 2012, 08:38:04 PM
Not bad at all.

:D

Nice theories in here! Very cool. Perhaps the story will have the engineers helping humans in the distant past (how to control fire, astronomy, etc)

duckman5150

duckman5150

Hey Timiteh,

Brilliant thought. Sounds really plausible. My hope is that Prometheus will show only bits and pieces of the back story of how the derelict got there. I think that some parts would still be better off left to imagination. Your idea works well and could easily close the circle without ruining the mystery of the derelict.

As much as I think (hope) Prometheus will rock. I have been let down so many times before ( SW Ep 1, Alien 3, AR ) just to name a few.

Still, I am a big Ridley fan even the stuff most people panned (Legend) had some redeming qualities.

June can't get here soon enough

Roach Bitch

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 19, 2012, 08:38:04 PM
Not bad at all.

You used the wrong form of "right" and "there"... lol.

Unless that was intentional. 

ChrisPachi

It's a really good idea. One cool bi-product of it is that the company sent the Nostromo fully aware that the crew stood no chance and that only Ash and the 'sample' would make it back alive. IMO to establish this as fact would add a nice and seedy undertone to the original film.

Remember also that Scott has quite specifically stated that the derelict 'parked' on LV-426. The fact that he did make a deliberate point of it is a tantalizing hint that the events on LV-426 will play into the story or at least be fleshed out to some extent, directly or indirectly.

bioweapon

I remember seeing this discussed in the classic way: do the company know about the signal? before they depart or at which point? that always led to the discussion of why sending space truckers instead of a science/military crew.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 19, 2012, 11:22:31 PMI remember seeing this discussed in the classic way: do the company know about the signal? before they depart or at which point? that always led to the discussion of why sending space truckers instead of a science/military crew.

Yes that's a good point that could undo the idea that they knew far in advance, however another explanation could be that they sent a mining ship that was out there already to save money and resources, which makes it even more creepy. My own opinion on the 'did they know' question is yes they did know and the 'pickup' was planned in advance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed