Prometheus - Very Bad 'Creationist' Science.

Started by 180924609, Mar 31, 2012, 09:37:29 PM

Author
Prometheus - Very Bad 'Creationist' Science. (Read 23,514 times)

bioweapon

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 31, 2012, 09:37:29 PM

Life on Earth absolutely does NOT require any creator. Human beings absolutely DID NOT just spontaneously emerge one day, where nothing existed before.

How utterly naive to class the species of 'humans' as the number one, priority species of Earth. That is total creationist mentalism!

i agree with almost all but this  ^  little precipitated BUT

things in the trailers point to human race being created (or help evolve) by this SJ race (tagline, starmap in ancient cultures) BUT

we dont know the hows and whens, the timings, etc. until we actually see the movie.

R. Scott is taking a great risk going epic and trying to explain human origins. I mean the way to do it is gonna chase him the rest of his life, wether for good or bad.

What Kubrick did was poetic, almost no dialogue, pure visual and sutil explanations, that leave to imagination. You dont have Marshall Green explaining in elementary teacher way. thats PG-13. that alone makes Prometheus internationl trailer S*CKS

BUT

you have Imax trailer, and theres really other thing. more Alien feeling. no child dialogue. different editor.

So we dont know if Rated version will actually CUT garbage and add long panoramic shots, aside the usual blood/gore/sex scenes. that could be briliant for Ridley.

bottom line, wait until R version.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 31, 2012, 09:37:29 PMLife on Earth absolutely does NOT require any creator. Human beings absolutely DID NOT just spontaneously emerge one day, where nothing existed before.

I think we should lose this assumption that modern human beings were created by the Engineers. There is more than enough evidence from Scott's own words that at the most they intervened with our evolution in the relatively recent past. The Ancient Astronauts theory itself doesn't have any creation aspect - it is about primitive cave dwellers being 'educated' or augmented by extraterrestrial beings.

You are absolutely right that if Scott was suggesting that the Engineers created humans from proverbial clay then this movie will suffer badly for it, but he isn't going down that road. If you read every quote from him in regards to this aspect of the story he always refers to a 'jump' in our evolution, not our creation.

'Beginning of Time'?

ChrisPachi

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 31, 2012, 11:26:59 PM'Beginning of Time'?

He might of not meant that literally. Oh I don't know... psshuh?

NGR01

NGR01

It's not because Scott & co are playing the "it's inspired by serious theories" card that i'm going to take anything more seriously in PROMETHEUS than i did with ALIEN or ALIENS...
These are glorified B movies.
This is all make believe if you can't enjoy a movie, especially a science fiction movie, because it's not realistic enough then its your loss...
Some comments led to believe that some people are seriously expecting the answers to life itself in this movie.
It's not called science FICTION for nothing...

But yeah fun read that initial post.
Thanks.

Cvalda

Pretty sure the Engineers created humans, if not all life on Earth. That's why we look exactly like them. As I said before, how successful this problematic story element ends up will depend upon the execution. We'll have to wait until June to see.

Ulfer

Ulfer

QuoteR. Scott is taking a great risk going epic and trying to explain human origins. I mean the way to do it is gonna chase him the rest of his life, wether for good or bad.

I don't really see why, if the execution is good. It's the motivations and implications that are going to matter, and Scott has said it several times.

QuoteSome comments led to believe that some people are seriously expecting the answers to life itself in this movie.

When it regards some fans, it's like : "Hey, the true nature of the universe [our universe] is going to be revealed in the last episode/book/film of this series !", which is kind of funny, sad, and i don't know what at the same time ;D.
It turns out that they think about ending their life when the said last book/episode/film is known to them, while the other great fans (the ones who said "Hey, everything about this universe [the universe of the fiction] is going to be revealed") mostly blame the creators.

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 11:34:46 PM
Pretty sure the Engineers created humans, if not all life on Earth. That's why we look exactly like them. As I said before, how successful this problematic story element ends up will depend upon the execution. We'll have to wait until June to see.

So just how are the Engineers going to explain how human beings have a coccyx tail bone, clearly inherited from our ape ancestors?

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 11:34:46 PMPretty sure the Engineers created humans, if not all life on Earth. That's why we look exactly like them. As I said before, how successful this problematic story element ends up will depend upon the execution. We'll have to wait until June to see.
IMO...

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 31, 2012, 11:41:09 PM
So just how are the Engineers going to explain how human beings have a coccyx tail bone, clearly inherited from our ape ancestors?
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 31, 2012, 11:34:46 PM
As I said before, how successful this problematic story element ends up will depend upon the execution. We'll have to wait until June to see.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 31, 2012, 11:42:50 PM
IMO...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG/220px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG
You'd better get used to it, 'cause that's what you're potentially getting.

Eva

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 31, 2012, 11:41:09 PM

Because that's the most troubling science factual detail we might be dealing with in this science fiction film?

No resentment towards human like androids, artificial intelligence, faster-than-light-travel etc etc...?

Just saying...

Quote from: Eva on Mar 31, 2012, 11:53:38 PM
No resentment towards human like androids, artificial intelligence, faster-than-light-travel etc etc...?

Well, currently, none of those things you just mentioned actually exist.

Just saying...

Cvalda

Quote from: 180924609 on Apr 01, 2012, 12:01:47 AM
And neither does ancient astronaut theory. It's a sci-fi movie. Calm down. ::)

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Eva on Mar 31, 2012, 11:53:38 PMBecause that's the most troubling science factual detail we might be dealing with in this science fiction film? No resentment towards human like androids, artificial intelligence, faster-than-light-travel etc etc...?

Not at all, because the last three are made up. Humans aren't - you can't just go and alter FACTS about them and their history to suit a story. Unless you set said story in some kind of alternate reality, then it's fine... and your film double sucks. ;)

Eva

Quote from: 180924609 on Apr 01, 2012, 12:01:47 AM
Quote from: Eva on Mar 31, 2012, 11:53:38 PM

That was sort of the point I was trying to make...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed