will we ever see a design that looks EXACKLY like this?

Started by xenomorph36, Jun 10, 2009, 11:19:19 AM

Author
will we ever see a design that looks EXACKLY like this? (Read 22,367 times)

xenomorph36

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 11, 2009, 12:12:36 PM
Yeah, just make the Alien CG.  That has worked out pretty well thus far.

Wait, nearly forgot:   ::)

you mean 10 years ago(that was the starting era for cgi)? i still think alien resurrection was more realistic than avpr. thats just me  ::)

dont even get started on avp cuz even YOU know that those aliens werent the best achievenment interms of cg.

Uncanny Antman

The Aliens in AVPR looked like shit because the movie was made by a bunch of retarded monkeys, not because they used suits.

The suits used in A:R looked better than the CG, and that's saying something considering the ADI 'rubber turds' they used.

xenomorph36

^

i've said the same thing on the other thred but i'll say it here again. CGI is not like they use to be. It's not 1997. It's  2009. We have better CGI capabilities. Look at startrek for example. have you watched it? Have you seen the creature in the ice? it obviosly looks better than any of the alien movies done with cgi or puppets or whatever.

Uncanny Antman

Meh.  Just a big, red shambling mess.

It didn't feel particularly real, either.  I could name a half dozen 'old school' creatures that felt more real than that thing.

xenomorph36

ok keep ur opinion while i keep mine.

That way we dont have to waste anymore badwidth.

case closed.

i hope.  :-\

SiL

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM
also the artwork seems to have a metalic feel to it. Instead of making it's skin color pitch black why not use chrome silverblack?
Uh, they did. Giger's Alien is coloured in metallic shades, but the lighting got rid of most of the paint detail.

QuoteAlso if there is a need for a shot of the full body of the alien , instead of having man on a suit why not portray it with computer graphic?
Because then it would look like a computer generated monster. Because it is.

QuoteStrause brothers failed to achieve to make a realistic looking alien with a man in a suit.
That had more to do with incompetence and bad designs, not the nature of the effects work itself.

James Cameron managed to make his Aliens incredibly convincing, all in-camera, all using suits and puppets. The Alien bouncing between the walls in the hive in Aliens wipes the floor with any CGI Alien shot that came after it.

Heck, he wasn't even working with full suits; those Aliens were half a suit over spandex, with latex detailing glued on in places.

Putting a guy in the suit can, does, and has worked. It just depends on the people doing it.

Alien³

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 11, 2009, 10:24:30 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/sabres21768/other8/IMG_2800.jpg

i know this is just a toy but i couldn't find a good example. I'm sure it was slightly better looking than this in the movie but it looked like a man in a suit. So if the movie comes out in the near future, it would be neat to keep the design but make it more stylized like the art work so it matches today's standards.

I even think that toy looks far better than the concept art.

SM

QuotePutting a guy in the suit can, does, and has worked. It just depends on the people doing it.

Yep more or less.  It's down to performance, angles, lighting and editing.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 11, 2009, 03:34:30 PM
I thought that was what we were doing already?  I had no plans to change my opinion, and I didn't think you did either.

Quotecase closed.
It was never a 'case' to begin with.  What, I disagree with you and suddenly the conversation is just over?

If you want the thread to be over, why did you start it?  Were you expecting a barrage of compliments?  Sheesh.

Some people just don't get the difference between discussing and arguing, I guess.

Xhan

It'd be amazing to to have the portrait design in movie, but that pretty much removes the ability to have any human operators in suit... except Doug Jones, I guess.

xenomorph36

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 12, 2009, 01:37:51 AM
Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 11, 2009, 03:34:30 PM
I thought that was what we were doing already?  I had no plans to change my opinion, and I didn't think you did either.

Quotecase closed.
It was never a 'case' to begin with.  What, I disagree with you and suddenly the conversation is just over?

If you want the thread to be over, why did you start it?  Were you expecting a barrage of compliments?  Sheesh.

Some people just don't get the difference between discussing and arguing, I guess.

yawn..

xenomorph36

Quote from: SiL on Jun 11, 2009, 11:30:38 PM
Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM
also the artwork seems to have a metalic feel to it. Instead of making it's skin color pitch black why not use chrome silverblack?
Uh, they did. Giger's Alien is coloured in metallic shades, but the lighting got rid of most of the paint detail.

QuoteAlso if there is a need for a shot of the full body of the alien , instead of having man on a suit why not portray it with computer graphic?
Because then it would look like a computer generated monster. Because it is.

QuoteStrause brothers failed to achieve to make a realistic looking alien with a man in a suit.
That had more to do with incompetence and bad designs, not the nature of the effects work itself.

James Cameron managed to make his Aliens incredibly convincing, all in-camera, all using suits and puppets. The Alien bouncing between the walls in the hive in Aliens wipes the floor with any CGI Alien shot that came after it.

Heck, he wasn't even working with full suits; those Aliens were half a suit over spandex, with latex detailing glued on in places.

Putting a guy in the suit can, does, and has worked. It just depends on the people doing it.

Are you saying james cameron's alien looks more realistic than the recent film(king kong, startrek etc)?

It's impossible to make it look like the concept art withought using a cgi because if some one wears a suit it would look bulky. The reason why i love the concept are so much is the fact that it looks very thin.

SiL

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Jun 14, 2009, 07:08:48 AM
Are you saying james cameron's alien looks more realistic than the recent film(king kong, startrek etc)?
Uh, yeah. Kong is obviously computer generated. All the effects in Star Trek are obviously computer generated. It smacks you in the face. They're good computer generated images, but it's still obvious.

When you're watching Aliens and you see the creatures, you don't say, "Holy shit, nice effects", you say "Holy shit it's an Alien."

[Alpha]Frost

Someone told me the creatures in Hell Boy 1 & 2 were a mixture of CGI and costume. I thought they looked good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed