Retconning the last three?

Started by RakaiThwei, Jun 05, 2009, 07:18:34 PM

Author
Retconning the last three? (Read 9,056 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 06, 2009, 01:46:31 AM
The same thing could be said about a midevial knight in the battle field. They fought dirty. When off the battlefield, they were rather quite chivalrious to others.
No, they were typically assholes.

Everything we saw them do in the Predator movies (Not including AvP) could be put down to good sportsmanship. That's all it was ever meant to be.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

And isn't good sportsmanship a form of honor in itself? In my book, it is.

-Rakai'Thwei

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 05, 2009, 07:18:34 PM
So Rodriguez is saying that Steven Hopkin's Predator 2 is NOT a sequel?

Aside from simply not referencing it, there's not really anything they can do to make out it never happened.

Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Jun 05, 2009, 11:08:58 PM
The script was written for fun. It was written for fun.

It was also what got this project greenlit, in its original form. Plus, up until this, everyone involved had been saying that they still weren't sure if they were going to change it or not. They apparently now have, in some form or the other, but that means they still thought it was a perfectly feasible concept.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 06, 2009, 03:24:51 AM
It was also what got this project greenlit, in its original form. Plus, up until this, everyone involved had been saying that they still weren't sure if they were going to change it or not. They apparently now have, in some form or the other, but that means they still thought it was a perfectly feasible concept.

I wish I would know what the changes were. I mean, yes I am for another Predator movie and all but I certainly didn't enjoy the original script, I mean I actually weapt when I read it back in 2003 when the originl AvP was being produced (I got the link from PlanetAvP back then).

I WANT to be optimsitic about this film. I WANT to like it.

But it's just so hard to with reading up on the news on this film. And not knowing what the script changes are, it's hard to like it.

-Rakai'Thwei

Master

Master

Beats that shreds old lady in dark subway armed with gun that she just cant use it properly shurely indicates honour of it.  Come on thats bullshit! They are not honorable just like hunter with f**king rifel is not honorable to deer or wild boar.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 06, 2009, 12:21:42 AM
Quote from: Pvt. Hicks on Jun 06, 2009, 12:07:36 AM
So you read it, why are you still mad? Why am I still responding to these replies?

P.S. How the hell do you like AvP and AvP2, but get your briefs in a bunch with this movie? If you're pissed about this movie, you should be crucifying the Strauses and Anderson. It truly, truly, truly, from the bottom of my heart, confuses the ever-loving shit out of me.

I'm calming the hell down now, so I'll respond to your inquiery. Mm'kay?

I'm not as mad as I used to be an hour ago, it's just that we don't know what elements from Rodriguez's script they're using. They haven't given us any details, and why should they? I'm just very pessimistic about the film because what if they use some of the wrong ideas such as the trading for technology, concentration camp, the planet, and the whole idea of a human killing a Predator in hand to hand combat. Thats why I'm so pessimistic about it.

As as to why I enjoy the AvP films? I'll be more than happy to tell you.

1) I'm entitled to like them, as you are entitled to dislike them.

2) I grew up with the original Alien and Predator films, and I didn't believe we were ever going to get an Alien vs Predator film. I've been a fan of the creatures since I was six years old when Kenner released the Alien vs Predator figures with the little mini-comics. Over the years, I began to collect the comics from the original to the crossovers. It wasn't until I read the novels from Steve Perry that I became further enthralled with the creatures. With the novels we got to see a point of view from the Predators, and how they saw things around them differently than what we do. The novels gave the Predators more character, despite what others are saying on how they were humanized. I don't believe they were humanized, but personified. They were given their own personalities, and thats what I liked rather than the idea of them being psychotic killing machines from outerspace. They introduced readers to the idea as to WHY they hunt, and their culture.

So I grew up with the novels and enjoyed them for what they were. When Paul W.S. Anderson made AvP, I was more than happy because for one-- it was a film with Alien and Predator, fighting each other, something I never thought I was going to live to see. And two, Anderson borrowed his concepts from the novels and comics, which I happened to enjoy and seeing those elements on film and made canon made me rather happy and I grew to enjoy the films.

I don't care for human characters. I just want to see the two beloved creatures fight each other on screen.

.....That answer enough for ya?

-Rakai'Thwei

Dude you're making it seem like they're curing cancer or something...it's a movie.

And there was no "honour" code, which SiL already explained to you.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Predators have no honor ... they never meant to have it. They were meant to be ruthless hunters which put us in the situation of a deer ... or prey. The fact that the Predators want to kill other intelligences for fun ... is evil. We are also evil since we do it to deer. Think of it as this. Predator kill man , Man kill deer , deer eat grass.... easy right. The Predators are evil , they hunt for sport , they only kill those armed ... because its a challenge not because they want that person to live. The fact that they'd kill me if I had a bat towards them and do it silently for nothing other then sport - is evil. They treat us , As Master said , Like deer. Do we treat deer good huh? Think on that and when your done tell me if they were or ginally meant to be honor loving ... hell they have more honor then a samurai ... as I told Steve Perry on Ask Steve Perry

Master

Master

Samurais just like mediavle knights were very mean bastards in majority, that often killed people without cause. Predators have hunt rules but nothing other than that. I ve counted four: 1. Don't kill unarmed humans; 2. Don't kill pregnant females. Probably to sustain species for future hunts; 3. Don't kill a prey that menaged to defet your fellow hunter. Probaly because it will procreate and give birth to next generation of good preys; 4. If you fail than f**k all three above and blow the place up, to cover up evidences.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: Master on Jun 06, 2009, 03:40:52 PM
Samurais just like mediavle knights were very mean bastards in majority, that often killed people without cause. Predators have hunt rules but nothing other than that. I ve counted four: 1. Don't kill unarmed humans; 2. Don't kill pregnant females. Probably to sustain species for future hunts; 3. Don't kill a prey that menaged to defet your fellow hunter. Probaly because it will procreate and give birth to next generation of good preys; 4. If you fail than f**k all three above and blow the place up, to cover up evidences.

I agree with that. Only four rules , one of which is evil , the rest in favor of the Predator. In AVP, Anderson went from the comics , ignoring the movies , and giving the Predators full blown honor. They f**king loved that girl Lex. I mean I understand Scar giving her a weapon , but following her ... just poor. In the comics the Predators were a little meaner then in AVP , which wanted the aliens ( animals ) to be seen as the villains ... not what people wanted ... really. In AVP:R , the Predator was an evil bastard again ... the way he should be , but that movie failed because I felt it just stole old movie ideas and rammed it into that shitty masterpiece. Neither worked. AnywayPredators are evil , they are cruel hunters who hunt the best prey without feelings ... as they should be , how would someone like it if I wrote on Hitler having an honor system ... or those hunters who have rifles killing deer?No , they are evil just as the other two are.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: The PredBen on Jun 06, 2009, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: Master on Jun 06, 2009, 03:40:52 PM

I agree with that. Only four rules , one of which is evil , the rest in favor of the Predator. In AVP, Anderson went from the comics , ignoring the movies , and giving the Predators full blown honor. They f**king loved that girl Lex. I mean I understand Scar giving her a weapon , but following her ... just poor. In the comics the Predators were a little meaner then in AVP , which wanted the aliens ( animals ) to be seen as the villains ... not what people wanted ... really. In AVP:R , the Predator was an evil bastard again ... the way he should be , but that movie failed because I felt it just stole old movie ideas and rammed it into that shitty masterpiece. Neither worked. AnywayPredators are evil , they are cruel hunters who hunt the best prey without feelings ... as they should be , how would someone like it if I wrote on Hitler having an honor system ... or those hunters who have rifles killing deer?No , they are evil just as the other two are.

The sign of a great sci-fi movie villain, no doubt.

Alien³

Alien³

Don't be scared by a film you know nothing about Rakai'Thwei. There's nothing to worry about, until we see a trailer and then the film itself. Only then can your fear be raised or laid to rest.

jordan

jordan

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jun 06, 2009, 12:28:18 AM
Cant see how this movie is retconning Predator 2 because Rodriguez hates it or something, Predator 2 barely even mentioned the proceedings of the first movie, it was stand alone, don't see a reason why this one shouldn't go down the same route.

How is Predator 2 standalone?   Without the events in the jungle the Predator 2 story ceases to exist.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: jordan on Jun 12, 2009, 12:20:52 AM
Cant see how this movie is retconning Predator 2 because Rodriguez hates it or something, Predator 2 barely even mentioned the proceedings of the first movie, it was stand alone, don't see a reason why this one shouldn't go down the same route.

How is Predator 2 standalone?   Without the events in the jungle the Predator 2 story ceases to exist.

No the predators would still come down to hunt in L.A. It's just that O.W.L.F might have taken a little bit longer to get wind of an Alien in L.A.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: jordan on Jun 12, 2009, 12:20:52 AM

Errm what?
What does the first movie have to do with the Predators hunting in LA? There was nothing shown in Predator 2 which couldn't exist without the first movie. Keyes? They easily could have shown another Predator hunting trip and not referring to the first movie and it still would have worked.

Different Predator, different location, different characters. It is stand alone.

XenoHunter5669

XenoHunter5669

Could've, Should've, didn't. Keys did refer to Dutch, those events are the reason they went to LA. Yes, the Predator going to LA had nothing to do with part 1, but too much of Predator 2 did have to do with the original. I don't really have a problem putting a movie in between them, but they better make sure the story line flows with 1 & 2. Don't leave any "evidence" of a predator coming here at the end of the movie. Keys coming to LA because of the jungle but not referencing what will happen in this film doesn't make sense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed