'The Classic Alien Won't Appear In Ridley Scott's Prequels At All' -Io9.com

Started by The Rogue, Apr 27, 2010, 11:13:26 PM

Author
'The Classic Alien Won't Appear In Ridley Scott's Prequels At All' -Io9.com (Read 20,268 times)

Quote from: J-Syxx on May 14, 2010, 12:49:09 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2010, 12:27:06 AM
True, Italian giallo films predate modern slasher movies, but while they share the body counts and creative deaths, they don't follow most of the slasher genre tropes.

Profondo Rosso, for example, is much more a bloody crime/thriller/mystery.

John Carpenter took a hell of a lot of influence from Deep Red.  Even parts of the sound track are similar.  He even recycled a kill scene from Deep Red in his script for Halloween II.  It's definitely accepted that Amercian slasher genre is the bastard stepchild of the giallo genre defined by people like Mario Bava and Dario Argento.  The slasher genre also only dropped the "crime" aspect of the film after Halloween.  In Halloween, it's resprestned by Dr. Loomis and Sherrif Bracket.  The main thing Carpenter didn't do was hide and then reveal the identity of the killer at the end of the film.  He instead used a mask to keep the the audience on edge.  Doesn't change the fact that sylistically and violence wise these films definitely had precursors that were pre-Alien.

And I don't think the influence was only on strict slasher movies either.  Don Coscarelli for example said the biggest influenced on Phantasm was Suspiria.  So those films to me were definitley part of the western consciousness at that point even if they didn't break the boxoffice like the Exorcist or Alien or whatever other 70's horror film.

this is the worlds weirdest coincidence
the other day i ordered Master of Horror Volume 1
i watched the first episode this morning.
the first episode is called "Cigarette Burns" and is directed by John Carpenter
at the beginning of the episode, the cinema in the story is showing Profondo Rosso and the characters talk about it for a bit.

SiL

Quote from: J-Syxx on May 14, 2010, 12:49:09 AM
John Carpenter took a hell of a lot of influence from Deep Red.  Even parts of the sound track are similar.  He even recycled a kill scene from Deep Red in his script for Halloween II.  It's definitely accepted that Amercian slasher genre is the bastard stepchild of the giallo genre defined by people like Mario Bava and Dario Argento.  The slasher genre also only dropped the "crime" aspect of the film after Halloween.  In Halloween, it's resprestned by Dr. Loomis and Sherrif Bracket.  The main thing Carpenter didn't do was hide and then reveal the identity of the killer at the end of the film.  He instead used a mask to keep the the audience on edge.  Doesn't change the fact that sylistically and violence wise these films definitely had precursors that were pre-Alien.

And I don't think the influence was only on strict slasher movies either.  Don Coscarelli for example said the biggest influenced on Phantasm was Suspiria.  So those films to me were definitley part of the western consciousness at that point even if they didn't break the boxoffice like the Exorcist or Alien or whatever other 70's horror film.
I honestly dunno if we're agreeing or disagreeing or agreeing about disagreeing here :P

Anto of the Sand

I hate the idea of facehuggers making a noise. Same for Xenos. (exept the occasional heavy breathing through teeth and that awesome noise when they get shot)

XenoVC

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 16, 2010, 12:02:59 AM
I hate the idea of facehuggers making a noise. Same for Xenos. (exept the occasional heavy breathing through teeth and that awesome noise when they get shot)

Way to completely contradict your original statement.  :P

Anto of the Sand

SM

???

Facehugger have always made noise.

ShadowPred

Anto of the Sand

You dont get it. He said I was contradicting myself.

Xenoscream

What came before the egg then? How many stages did it have?

Should be interesting.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2010, 11:59:06 PM
???

Facehugger have always made noise.
Yeah, they do. In Alien, Aliens and AvP.

Anto of the Sand

SM

Tough titties then I guess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed