What if.....

Started by Highland, May 18, 2009, 09:09:10 AM

Author
What if..... (Read 12,339 times)

The PredBen

The PredBen

WOW , read my comment to settle all this , then get back ... to ... the ... f**king thread ... okay?

SiL

SiL

Like I said, I'm done. I skimmed Aeus' post and he kept with the same stuff, so there's nothing more to say. He hasn't refuted me, I've said my piece, the end.

As for the topic, do we really need younger Preds?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Predators shouldn't be anthropomorphisised. Sil's right, in my view; you can't apply our moral standards to them, because those are patently not the standards they operate by. We don't even have any indication that they would so much as comprehend them, let alone agree with them.

Their trophy cabinets are stuffed full of what they regard to be 'worthy' challenges. They're testaments to the heat of the moment. If anything, that, combined with the reverential appearance of how they stroke the brow of cleaned skulls and wear them, could be said to infer that they regard such things as honouring those they've faced, not disrespecting them.

Predator psychology is, no matter how many ways you bend it, a very alien psychology, in every sense of the phrase. You can't analyse it like you would with a human, because they aren't human.

We're in the same trophy cabinet as they put Alien heads and just about anything else they find: Predators do not care how intelligent your culture considers itself. To them, it does not, must not and has no reason being, factored into the hunt. You're either a target or you're not. The only rule seems to be whether you'd fetch zero or bonus points.

They're no more psychopathic, than ants are for taking slaves or dolphins for casually indulging in gang-rape and infanticide. If humans operated like that? Sure, we could level that accusation at them, but they're not human and never will be.

Friendly Wise

Friendly Wise

Which brings me to another point, anyone think that they will keep that 1987 feel to it or modernize the timeline to make it more interesting?

Aeus

Aeus

I hope there's no date, like the first film.

Just dudes with guns, and a Predator.

SM

SM

Yeah that was something of a problem with the second one being set during a definate future time period, which will make it seem slightly silly when that actual date roles around a few years after.  Unless it's crucial to the story, keep the date out of it.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SM on May 26, 2009, 11:46:32 PM
Yeah that was something of a problem with the second one being set during a definate future time period, which will make it seem slightly silly when that actual date roles around a few years after.  Unless it's crucial to the story, keep the date out of it.

The story shouldn't be intricate enough to have a date being important. One of the things I'm worried is that we might get some guy who'll think it'd be good to set it in Iraq. Man that would age the movie in the years to come, and for nothing more than a gimmick.

SM

SM

Yeah, if they wanted a desert setting with Seppo soldiers, they could pick any number of places in the middle east or Africa, without any specifics to a conflict or date.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed