What if.....

Started by Highland, May 18, 2009, 09:09:10 AM

Author
What if..... (Read 12,406 times)

Highland

Highland

The reports are true and shorty does play "a Predator" , how about this...

The smaller predator is infact a younger predator and is on Earth to learn his trade taught by an older predator. I'm not talking Obi-wan here, Just something rough around the edges but obvious to the viewer.

This story would also fit with the title... Predators. 

2 predators might be the perfect number? Bad Idea? better idea or Tosh?

Übermensch

Übermensch

I can see the pros and cons of doing that.

Pros - well it might be interesting and we get to learn more about the predators.

Cons - it humanises them too much plus we already saw noob predators in AVP.

I think many predator fans just want to see their old school predators back who are just like mysterious killers rather than all the stuff that's in the comics.  Others want to more like that.

Highland

Highland

Although AVP was garbage, I thought Anderson handled that side of the predators quite well, without as you say "Humanising" them.  You knew what was going on, although at times he did overkill it a bit.

It is tough, prehaps the story should be taken away from the predators and put in the hands of the humans. That seems to be the winning formula.

I still think 2 is a good number, 2 that survive to the end that is.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

I think many predator fans just want to see their old school predators back who are just like mysterious killers
Exactly, that's how they work best.

Change that and you got yourself a nice, big pile of shit. (see AvP)

Highland

Highland

Johnny, we all know we can count you out of anything even remotely different from predator 1  ;)

It IS possible to think Predator as it's own movie with it's own possibilities, without referring to the 2 other pile's of shit we got....  (which were not predator movies).

The Alien was juat a "mysterious killer" until aliens , I'm sure back in the day they said the same thing until Cameron changed it and made a sci fi action master piece.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteThe Alien was juat a "mysterious killer" until aliens , I'm sure back in the day they said the same thing until Cameron changed it and made a sci fi action master piece.
Yes, and that's why many alien fans consider the first movie as the only true alien movie.

Aliens is a cool movie, no doubt, but in the end of the day the creatures were a huge step down from the original.

You cant even compare the bug aliens with Kane's son. The design, the behaviour and the whole mystery that the creature is surrounded by is unbeatable and i wish they would have kept that in Aliens.

QuoteJohnny, we all know we can count you out of anything even remotely different from predator 1
Predator 2 is different then Predator 1, i love the shit out of this movie, so you're talking Bullshit.

I want a different movie.. with the same f**king creature and all the features that makes it great. when you do changes, do minor changes that actually supports the creature, Predator 2 did that, there is only so much you can change before you actually make everything worse.
You just want changes because that's what Aliens did, and at the same time you completely miss that everything Cameron did with the Aliens wasn't nearly as effective as the original, but hey, it was different right? So its all good.  ::)

Highland

Highland

Well for a start the predator is'nt even nearly as complex as the "alien" and Cameron still pulled it off - you can say what you want about "Alien" and hardcore fans, It Does'nt change the fact it's one of the top Sci fi movies of all time. 

I don't want changes "because thats what aliens did", I'll even agree that The predator formula work's fine, and it doesn't need changed a whole lot.

But whats the problem with 2 predators hunting, or a small team? whats the big massive change there that has you all in knots? These movies have been slowley dying a death , so why not go a little batman? why not introduce some new habits? Something we've never seen before?

Predator 2 did'nt get a good reception and neither will your version of predator 3.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Aliens were still mysterious killers in 'Aliens'. Only in the third film did they start to get too much lighting and visual exposure.

At least the motivation in certain scenes is still a mystery for them.

Friendly Wise

Friendly Wise

Quote from: highlandpred on May 18, 2009, 10:38:06 PM
Well for a start the predator is'nt even nearly as complex as the "alien" and Cameron still pulled it off - you can say what you want about "Alien" and hardcore fans, It Does'nt change the fact it's one of the top Sci fi movies of all time. 

I don't want changes "because thats what aliens did", I'll even agree that The predator formula work's fine, and it doesn't need changed a whole lot.

But whats the problem with 2 predators hunting, or a small team? whats the big massive change there that has you all in knots? These movies have been slowley dying a death , so why not go a little batman? why not introduce some new habits? Something we've never seen before?

Predator 2 did'nt get a good reception and neither will your version of predator 3.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how many spec-ops will the predators be hunting, because if you have a large pack of pred's with the same amount of spec-ops forces from the first movie then there wouldn't really be a movie. So, I like the idea of maybe 2 or 3 pred's teaming up, keep it small and cohesive, plus it seems the most logical way to go. But then again that would feel like a version of AvP but without the Aliens, and we all saw how the pred's ripped through the camp of humans above and below ground.

Highland

Highland

The predator has pretty much ripped through anything it's came up against-including Arnies top class team, so i dont think that'll be the issue. The issue is why is there more than one predator?, and why are they on earth?

I remeber someone touted an idea on here of predators being dropped in the middle of a human war, but 40 million probably wouldnt cut it.

Moody

Moody

They should just put 2 predator in a the middle of the vietnam war and one pred is killing the Vietnamees side and the other the Americans, nice setting;  Jungle, vietnam was scary at night time and lots of human action aswell. And there you have it: A Good Predators Movie ;)

The PredBen

The PredBen

I think this Predators , will be a rather low film indeed. I think in the end , we will simply see a crappy film based on a team of 4 predators. I tried to think of that storyline , 2 predators , one elder , one young , but it was bad. My latest AVP script has one lone , impregnated and weak predator. A lone monster is tougher then 30 ones.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: highlandpred on May 18, 2009, 09:09:10 AM2 predators might be the perfect number? Bad Idea? better idea or Tosh?

Yes, two predators would probably be the perfect number. To many would screw things up and they would probably die quite easily. One would work just fine, but I'm actually interested in what could be done with this teacher and student concept.

However, many fans seems to be allergic to anything even remotely new. But get this, adding new things won't necessarily make it a bad movie. Sure, if handled poorly it could probably become a pile of shit, but guess what? The original concept could as easily become that pile of shit all by itself, if handled by the wrong person.

You don't have to go too deep with these two predators. You could just have them communicating with a few simple hand gestures and perhaps let us see the older one watching over his student as he takes on the humans. There is no need to tell us their life stories, so adding a extra predator won't take away the mystery.

That's what I think at least.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: highlandpred on May 18, 2009, 10:38:06 PM
Well for a start the predator is'nt even nearly as complex as the "alien"
You really think so?
I think that the Predator is much more complex and much more of a character then the Alien will ever be.
With the Alien you got the lifecycle, everything else is killing killing and killing, or to make a long story short: The Alien is as basic as a movie monster can be.

Quoteyou can say what you want about "Alien" and hardcore fans, It Does'nt change the fact it's one of the top Sci fi movies of all time.
But no reasons why Aliens was as good is the creature itself, because Cameron downgraded it. "The dome cracks through action scenes, take it off!" "A giant guy who can create an performance and a real character? f**k that, we are going to take pudgy stunt guys for everything!"
The only really good thing he contributed to the Alien was the queen, and even some people didn't even like that idea.. besides that he showed us how fascinating it is to see an Alien exploding in all directions. Wheeew  :P

QuoteI'll even agree that The predator formula work's fine, and it doesn't need changed a whole lot.
Basically agreeing with me that the whole thing needs to be changed for the sake of it.

But whats the problem with 2 predators hunting, or a small team?
There is not really a "problem", just that its unnecessary and takes away some of the things that makes it uncanny, its much creepier when the thing is alone out there. Would Alien be a better movie if there were multiple Aliens, or Alien3? Or would Predator be a better movie if there were multiples? No, they wouldn't. Infact, one reason why Alien is my favourite movie from the series is because there is one alien.

QuoteThese movies have been slowley dying a death , so why not go a little batman?
Because this is not Batman, this is Predator. The Batman franchise was just perfect for a reboot, because the old movies really had that comic book feeling about them. Batman was a product of its time, you can reboot it now (what they did) and you can reboot it again in 20 years. They rebooted it because it wasn't modern enough anymore. The question behind this was: How would a modern day Batman look like, how would a more realistic approach look like, how about making the batman character more life like, more human.

Now take Predator: Whats the difference if the Predator is hunting now or in 1987? Nothing.
Make the character more deep? How? Its a goddamn Alien, you don't want to see it making eggs for breakfast, you want it to scare you and you want it kill people.
Special effects? They look fantastic today.
From all the franchises out there, Predator is the least to make a reboot of or to take a different approach or change some things without destroying the things that made it great in the first place.
You're constantly asking: Why is it so bad to have multiples? Does it make the movie any less good?
Have you ever asked yourself the question if its going to be a better movie if you have more predator, more weapons and more special effects?

I don't give a shit if the movies were big and successful, Predator would still be Predator today even if there were no sequels at all.

Quotewhy not introduce some new habits? Something we've never seen before?
Because that what Predator 2 did already 19 years ago. There is only so much you can do with a franchise or a character. Everything new the AvP franchise did was utterly shit. You had multiple Predator in AvP, was it really that great to see multiple of them running around roaring at each others what to do? It was ridiculous.

Again, i don't give a shit if the movie doesn't get a good reception. I care for what i like, and i don't need 2000 people telling me that I'm watching a good movie. I rather have a good movie that i like then a shit movie that is financially successfull.

Why didn't Alien3 and Alien Rez get a good reception? Because they were too different, they took a different approach then the first two movies and at the same time took away the things that made the originals so great. In Alien 3 it was the tone and the characters, and in Alien rez it was basically everything, turning it into a comedy.

Different does not mean better by any means and if something does work the way it works then don't change it, if you cant change it and you're feeling like you're just repeating yourself then simply don't do a new movie at all.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

If anything, going back to simplicity and the basics would make the movie more refreshing because the latest films in the franchise have strayed so far away from the original material, and tried to add new way too many ideas.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed