US opening weekend - place your bets!

Started by Winkie Bear, Jun 05, 2012, 02:51:53 PM

What do you think will be the cumulative box office take in the United States on the movie's opening weekend

Below $ 50 M
1 (4.5%)
$50-70 M
11 (50%)
$70-90 M
5 (22.7%)
Above $100 M
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: Jun 08, 2012, 02:51:53 PM

Author
US opening weekend - place your bets! (Read 7,108 times)

Winkie Bear

I am going to make a frighteningly specific bet of $ 82 M, followed by a fairly steep drop and a mediocre run overall, finishing up in the $200 - 250 M ballpark in the United States.

I think international business will be around the same value, maybe $300 M or thereabouts.

And this will just do it for a sequel.

ThisBethesdaSea

200 to 250 million is not a mediocre run whatsoever.

Winkie Bear

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 05, 2012, 02:52:47 PM
200 to 250 million is not a mediocre run whatsoever.

Well perspective is all. For the type of movie it's pitched as, I would call $500 M superb and $100 M truly awful. Something in the middle is, by definition, mediocre.

Do you want to place a bet?  Bear in mind that it can't make more than the GDP of the entire planet  ;)

Gazz

Holy shit 200-250 million in US alone is considered mediocre?! I guess that's why films like Thor, Captain America, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and X-Men First Class don't get sequels.  :laugh:

I think $55-65 million opening.
$150-$160 million in States
$400 million WW.

Kev Loaf

It will do very well. The hype will make it certain.

Winkie Bear

Sure, I think considering it's placed as a tent-pole summer movie - a Star Trek or a Transformers (both of which did just shy of $400 M) then I would call $200 M somewhat disappointing, if that were the final take.
This year's big turkeys, Battleship and Titans are both struggling to get near $100 M.  The surprise for me is that Journey 2 didn't do better than its current $102 M.

Still, we'll see what we will see - only a few more days!

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
Sure, I think considering it's placed as a tent-pole summer movie - a Star Trek or a Transformers (both of which did just shy of $400 M) then I would call $200 M somewhat disappointing, if that were the final take.
This year's big turkeys, Battleship and Titans are both struggling to get near $100 M.  The surprise for me is that Journey 2 didn't do better than its current $102 M.

You forget both rating and budget

I mean the films I have listed have been released at similar times, built as tentpoles in the summer and yet have been considered sucesses despite only reaching what you must consider to be the paltry sum of around $170-$180 million.

Salt The Fries

Something halfway between $100m and $500 m would be average and not mediocre.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 05, 2012, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 03:05:55 PM

You forget both rating and budget

True, fair point. Of course Prometheus is an R whereas I think all the movies I listed about were open to a wider audience.

I'm less clear what budget has to do with it, unless you mean marketing budget and even that can be wasted. John Carter had a Prometheus-sized budget and went south faster than a.... well, something going south very fast.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 05, 2012, 03:16:47 PM
Something halfway between $100m and $500 m would be average and not mediocre.

As a numerical value it would indeed be an average. As a performance against expectations it might be considered mediocre.

I'm just trying to get people excited - there's been so much negativity; do we have to pick at every little word?

Gazz

I remember some reports stated the budget to be around $110 million though that could have easily risen during production.

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 05, 2012, 03:21:44 PM
I remember some reports stated the budget to be around $110 million though that could have easily risen during production.

Yeah, I heard $120-130 M. Then the worldwide marketing will be the same again I guess.

Salt The Fries

I think it's going to gross around $550m worldwide (US+overseas combined) at the very least.

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: Gazz on Jun 05, 2012, 03:21:44 PM

Yeah, I heard $120-130 M. Then the worldwide marketing will be the same again I guess.

It must have not contained the marketing costs which I take were huge...I think this figure will be updated some time soon.

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

OW: $57m
Total: $175m
WW: $425m

Prime113

I'm going with a $58.5 million opening weekend.  :)

Winkie Bear

Blimey, you all do know that Snow White (yes, Snow f****ing White) opened with $56 M  ??

Oh well, not long now til we find out  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed