Considering a move within the States. But to WHERE?

Started by Kimarhi, Aug 09, 2020, 06:55:11 PM

Author
Considering a move within the States. But to WHERE? (Read 1,623 times)

Kimarhi

Currently Wyoming and Utah out west, and Maine and New Hampshire in the north east are drawing my eye. 

I've lived in other places thanks the US Army, but when I've been a civilian I've only ever lived in different places in Kentucky.  I'm tired of the lack of diversified jobs, the setting (nothing wrong with it..........just the same shit day in and day out) and the weather.  I don't know if it is because I've had heat stroke before, but I absolutely have grown to hate Kentucky summers.  Want to go someplace where the humidity and dewpoint don't make it feel like wearing a wet blanket all the time, or like your trying to inhale air from a vaporizer.  Also, allergies. The west is way less brutal on them than the southeast is, so that is a plus.  Never been to the Northeast, but assume it has the same kinda allergies that the Southeast does. 

Anybody lived in these states before?  Pros and Cons.

I'm not a big city guy though.  Lexington was too big a place for me to live in with its close to 330,000 people.  But someplace bigger than my town of 29,000 would be good.  Mainly I'm looking for a place where there is more job opportunities but not a big enough place where interactions begin to feel impersonal.  If such a place exist. 

I used to be an avid outdoorsman back in the day.  Being forced to sleep on the ground in the Army kind of took the fun out of it, BUT having something to do outdoors would be a plus. 

Feel free to post other places you've lived in.  Nothing is out of consideration, but aside from visiting big cities like New York or Los Angeles, I have no desire to live in such a place. 

You are the homies. 

SpaceKase

Well, fortunately, the Continental US is big AF, so you have no shortage of options. So let's put this in science fictional terms, of all the alien worlds featured in the Star Wars films, which one seemed the most like your kind of scene? Endor... Hoth... Mos Eisley?

Kimarhi

Place has to have some vegetation.  Pure desert is not my thing. 

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 09, 2020, 07:43:26 PM

I hear Colorado is nice, but I might steer away from Gunnison.

Tichinde

Ah so alderraan

Local Trouble

I hear Huggsville is nice.

SM

Take the last train to Clarksville.

Kimarhi

I appreciate the song reference, but I could walk to Clarksville in a day.

SM

Sounds tiring.  Take the first train if the last train is too late.

Local Trouble

Like Sheena Easton's baby?

scottsigler

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 09, 2020, 06:55:11 PM
Anybody lived in these states before?  Pros and Cons.

I spent my first 35 years in Michigan, and the last 15 in California (10 in San Francisco, the last 5 in San Diego).

I hear your issue about weather. Michigan is a literal swamp: humid as hell in the summer, colder than a facehugger's heart in winter.

San Francisco was fun, but the general attitude of the populace did not jibe well with my own.

San Diego and the SD area? It's like heaven. Sometime we get some "bad weather" and it rains for five minutes or is a shudderingly cold 62 degrees. It's a major metro and is proximal to L.A. so there are a wide array of business opportunities (but the drive to L.A. is straight murder).

Every day I wake up and the weather is perfect. The area is pricey compared to Michigan and probably Kentucky.

Kradan

Quote from: SpaceKase on Aug 09, 2020, 08:15:15 PM

Gunn-what ?

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2020, 07:39:13 AM
Like Sheena Easton's baby?

Possibly.  Depends if he wants to take another home again.

Local Trouble

Quote from: scottsigler on Aug 14, 2020, 05:25:35 PM
San Diego and the SD area? It's like heaven. Sometime we get some "bad weather" and it rains for five minutes or is a shudderingly cold 62 degrees. It's a major metro and is proximal to L.A. so there are a wide array of business opportunities (but the drive to L.A. is straight murder).

Every day I wake up and the weather is perfect. The area is pricey compared to Michigan and probably Kentucky.

It's true. My grandparents had a nice place in nearby La Jolla when I was a kid and I thought it couldn't get any better than that.

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2020, 12:07:22 AM
Quote from: SpaceKase on Aug 09, 2020, 08:15:15 PM

Gunn-what ?

:laugh: RIP movie gunnison.

Bonus points for using a picture of Sedan. Maybe the OWLF budgeted that expense under a grandfathered-in clause for Project Plowshare. Fun fact, I think the "fallout" from that particular disastrous test may have been the basis for the film The Hills Have Eyes.
#possiblytruefacts

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed