Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Author
Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim" (Read 42,651 times)

SM

He hasn't directed any Pixar stuff though.

Pete Docter or Brad Bird would be worth a try.

Necronomicon II

Ripley's arc is finished (and I mean the real Ripley), accept it and move on. Sure Blom's film could be fun and I'm not against it per se, but Ripley's ultimate sacrifice just resonates with me and it's thematically satisfying, that's enough for me.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jan 24, 2017, 05:51:13 AM
Pete Docter or Brad Bird would be worth a try.
I find Bird's live action stuff kind of eh.

SM

Tomorrowland had a lot of potential, but was ultimately kinda pointless.

I haven't seen Ghost Protocol, but it got good reviews and box office.

Shamo

Maybe its for the best if the original Saga remains untouched. I am all in for a high budget Rage Wars TV Series though.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Shamo on Jan 24, 2017, 08:01:03 AM
Maybe its for the best if the original Saga remains untouched. I am all in for a high budget Rage Wars TV Series though.

YES!!!

Russ

Bet Sharlto Copley's as gutted as some of us are, though.

I read earlier in the thread that this could just be "smart marketing" (as per the original artwork he posted) to get the chatter / pressure going again. If that's the case - and I can only go on circumstantial evidence - it hasn't worked as well.

My facebook was groaning under the weight of commentary when the Hicks/Ripley artwork came out, articles dedicated to speculation, petitions to Fox and all that stuff.

This announcement seems to be more of a footnote for Movieplanet and all those people. Even the Weyland-Yutani Bulletin isn't seething with anger or glee... I'm not sure if all that is just what facebook is showing me or if it just hasn't got the traction of the original... "leak."

Biggles

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 24, 2017, 02:40:12 AM
Yeah.  It's 'Mother' to which I'm referring.  It would have been interesting to have seen how that movie panned out if he chose to make it.  Nonetheless, the core components ended up being integrated into 'ALIENS'.  Considering 'ALIENS' ended up having such a good story with strong elements pulled from the older script, 'Mother' must have been a pretty solid piece.

Thanks guys, I did not know that. How I've spent a quarter of a century obsessing over these movies and never come across that piece of info I have no idea!

Whiskeybrewer

So it seems that because Ridley stepped  and started doing Covenant, Blomkamp's version was put aside and is now going to stay in development hell.

I do agree with some of the other comments about him doing a Cameron, but going in the opposite direction with the core stuff and making a completely new, original film with it. The i would probably be more open to Weaver and Biehn getting involved, also get Cameron to produce it

Hemi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 24, 2017, 03:39:46 AM

The only one of his I've liked was 'Dog Soldiers'. I thought 'The Descent' was rather awful and it's about the closest to the themes of the 'Alien' films.

Can't receive 'Game Of Thrones', so can't comment about that. Although, I recall the director of the terrible 'Terminator Genisys' was meant to have received praise for doing the same, so... That's not necessarily a mark of quality.

Waaa??? I loved the Descent and thought it was brilliant... (we actually had to pause the movie to go outside and breathe air.. I thought it was very effective)

Each their own I guess...

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jan 24, 2017, 08:11:51 AM
Quote from: Shamo on Jan 24, 2017, 08:01:03 AM

YES!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/pHb82xtBPfqEg/giphy.gif

Yah, that would be good.  And I think the books were probably set up with that in mind...

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 24, 2017, 06:06:55 AM
Ripley's arc is finished (and I mean the real Ripley), accept it and move on. Sure Blom's film could be fun and I'm not against it per se, but Ripley's ultimate sacrifice just resonates with me and it's thematically satisfying, that's enough for me.

It was a vain sacrifice since they got the aliens anyway.  Especially if the books are to be treated as canon.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PMIt was a vain sacrifice since they got the aliens anyway.

You can't really criticise the plot point based on what a sequel did several years later. And even counting the fourth film, she still gave humanity 200 years with no Aliens slaughtering people.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PMEspecially if the books are to be treated as canon.

Which Fox has said they're not.

Pvt. Himmel

So what was the reason why they aren't going to do this??

Ulfer

The trilogy - Alien, Aliens, Alien3 - is thematically and conceptually coherent. The fourth movie is an extension that is not without some merits and puts a clone of Ripley "beyond" what had been done (after confronting the monster, then the monsters, having the monster inside her, this clone of Ripley was the monster and had a strange relationship with the aliens). It has a different spirit (with a focus on humour noir and irony).
An alternate history about Ripley and co. after Aliens is not an heretical idea for me. It could be interesting, if well made. But I found the original end of the character very satisfying. If Alien Covenant is more satisfying than Prometheus, I'll without a doubt prefer a continuation to that trend, rather than a reboot of Ripley's story. I write that while thinking that of course seing Sigourney Weaver in another Alien movie would be cool. But I won't be mad if it is not done.

BishopShouldGo

I have a feeling it'll be fast tracked after Ridley's trilogy. I really do. Sigourney will be older but she'll look the same as she does now...really damn good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed