Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 07, 2020, 02:58:50 PM

Author
Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111 (Read 15,307 times)

BlazinBlueReview

Love this podcast. Been watching it on YouTube which is cool to see everyone.

AliceApocalypse

Great podcast guys, enjoyed it very much. My favorite idea from it is the switching of role leads for both Alien and Predator films.  A strong female lead for a Predator film would be awesome.

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 07, 2020, 04:37:38 PM
Boy did those 10 years go by fast!  It feels like yesterday when I was just watching the trailer!

https://twitter.com/FnVoodooMagic/status/1280529491966619650

It's true, feels so weird that it was 10 years ago...AH!  Time flies so, so fast.  Maybe they got enough survivors now to have a colony going. 

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 08, 2020, 09:44:12 PM
Quote from: seattle24 on Jul 08, 2020, 11:53:49 AM
I agree with, I believe it was Xenomorphine's take, that P2 is something of a Steven Seagal 90's-type movie, save for a few scenes, it's not that great...

Honeslty, never thought about P2 that way until now. That is what I like about these podcasts. You learn other perspectives and takes, which is quite great if you ask me.  8)

Having said that, I also liked Xenomorphine's take on Adrien Brody's Royce as a solid character who performs through his body language, like Kate Beckinsale's Selene (Underworld).

The same.  I thought Royce was a good character; no real complaints from me.  I really enjoyed Predators and was generally pleased with how it came out and, of course, sad that it hasn't gotten a sequel.  So much potential there for world exploration and building.  I thought the series was in good hands at that point  :-\

Thank you guys for the thoughtful podcast.  And I also appreciate RidgeTop's throw pillows.

Kailem

Good stuff! I agree with pretty much all the main points you guys brought up, though I see both sides of the reference/homage debate. Personally they didn't bother me too much or detract from my enjoyment of the film, but given how many of them there are I can certainly see that not being true for others.

And yeah one of the things I've always loved about the film is how much it introduces without going into detail about. As you said, "the Space Jockey effect". I've always felt that the lore side of Predator works best with a lot of mystery and questions, so I really liked that we basically got no explanations for any of the new stuff that we saw. Are these new Predators a different clan? A sub-species? Genetically modified? Why are they feuding with the classic ones? Did the drill belong to the Predators, or some other alien race? Who knows! It does what the first two films did in that it makes these small but significant contributions to the lore but doesn't over-explain them, allowing us fans to ponder all sorts of possibilities, and that's great.

I thought KNB did outstanding work as well, especially considering the time constraints they were under. I loved the look of the Super/Berserker Preds, with masks and without, and classic/Crucified looked awesome, as did the Hell Hounds and River Ghost.

And on the topic of "Super Predators", it definitely always felt to me like some people held that name against this film in a "nu-uh, the classics are the best! How dare they and act like these new ones are better! There's nothing super about them at all!" kind of way. I stayed away from any pre-release leaks or spoilers, but it's definitely an attitude I've noticed in the years since.

Either way I've always liked the film. The first two will always be sort of in a league of their own as far as style and nostalgia and all that are concerned, but I've always felt that Predators was a worthy sequel and it's always been something I've been glad exists. It's a shame indeed that we never got a direct sequel.

Darkness

It definitely deserves another watch. Haven't seen it since I saw The Predator so I might have to re-evaluate it. So much of it just screams remake to me and that's what I thought when I came out of the cinema. The Super Predators were hardly in it either. .

Nice to see you Xenomorphine. You've been gone for ages.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 10, 2020, 10:57:26 AM
Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 09, 2020, 11:03:23 PM
Nope. I did not read your post. Sorry . Nothing personal.

Why come to a discussion board at all?

He's posting from the comments side I believe, but still...

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 10, 2020, 04:26:22 PM
The first two will always be sort of in a league of their own as far as style and nostalgia and all that are concerned,

My man...

Kradan

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 10, 2020, 06:12:36 PM
It definitely deserves another watch. Haven't seen it since I saw The Predator so I might have to re-evaluate it. So much of it just screams remake to me and that's what I thought when I came out of the cinema. The Super Predators were hardly in it either. .

Nice to see you Xenomorphine. You've been gone for ages.

So maybe it's time for you to appear on the show ?

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

I'm a little late to the party. But, I'm so glad that you guys did this anniversary podcast!

I'm a huge proponent of this film and have been leading up to it's initial July, 2010 release.

I think the biggest shame in this podcast was that PREDATORS, so often, had too be compared and contrasted with THE PREDATOR. Which I feel is unfair to PREDATORS.

While PREDATORS isn't flawless, it does more right than it does wrong, imho. I just wish that sequel would've been made...

426Buddy

426Buddy

To nitpick the film a lil I'm not sure if its the suit effects that bother me or the suit acting. They feel wrong and the traditional predator doesn't move right either. The fight between the two predators should have been way better. But in hindsight its a nitpick and its all an A+ effort.

Who knew the next predator film would be such a travesty? I do like fugitive but that pretty much it for the entire film.

-edit- after listening to this podcast and all this talk about it I watched Predators again. This would be the second time since The Predator came out. I think I again enjoyed it even more than before, maybe because I tried to go into it with a fresh perspective after the podcast. Alot of my issues just bother me less and less as time goes on.

One of my favorite parts is when Royce uses Edwin as a trap.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Okay, here's a nitpick for y'all, especially since Aaron humorously kept correcting that these were "Berserker" Predators.

So, in that same vein and with similarly humorous outrage because it drives me figuratively insane every time it's said or whenever I see it in the motion comic prequel, but... the classic Yaut is Not Crucified. The one and Only requirement for crucifixion is fixation to a cruciform, cruci = crux = cross form, there is no cross involved here in any way shape or form. The classic Pred has been tied to a stake, or a weird ceremonial monolith, but whatever you want to call it, the one thing it Is Not is a Cross. You can't be Crucified without a Cross.

This will never be corrected, I'm aware it will never be corrected. I will simply have to live in the perpetually maddening reality where this evisceration of the English language exists and will ever torture me, and as an American I am well versed in the torture of the English language. But hopefully, I will no longer be alone, and others will now be likewise plagued with this cursed knowledge.

426Buddy

Still a sweet nickname... I think people realize he's not literally been crucified. But when a nickname sticks it fits.

The rule of cool says so.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

I'm not as convinced that people do realize he's not literally been crucified. What is implied by figurative crucifixion? I mean, if we just want to use cool words that don't make sense how about Sacrifyx !! (1987's The Gate... anyone? Aaaanyway...) One more mystery left plaguing the brain, who is this Pred anyhow? A hapless traveler ensnared by Berserkers? A special offering from whoever the poachers are that collect and deliver all this prey? Perhaps a scapegoat offering from an intimidated lost clan? The leader of his clan offering himself up to spare the rest of his clan? The mind reel, and chances are Disney is just going to throw everything out anyways and relegate all of this to "Legends" status. Uf.  :P

Also, great podcast, guys. Love getting to nerd it up with y'all.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Jul 18, 2020, 05:45:39 PM
Okay, here's a nitpick for y'all, especially since Aaron humorously kept correcting the these were "Berserker" Predators. So, in that same vein and with similarly humorous outrage because it drives me insane every time it's said or seen in the motion comic prequel, but... the classic Yaut is Not Crucifed. The one and Only requirement for crucifixion it the use of a cruciform, cruci = crux = cross, there is no cross involved here in any way shape or form. The classic Pred has been tied to a stake, or a weird ceremonial monolith, but whatever you want to call it, the one thing it Is Not is a Cross. You Cannot be Crucified without a Cross.

This will never be corrected, I know it will never be corrected. I will simply have to live in the perpetually maddening reality where this evisceration of the English language exists and will ever torture me, and as an American I am well versed in the torture of the English language. But hopefully, I will no longer be alone, and others will now be likewise plagued with this cursed knowledge.

Umm.....

cru·​ci·​fy | \ ˈkrü-sə-ˌfī  \
crucified; crucifying

Definition of crucify
(transitive verb)

1: to put to death by nailing or binding the wrists or hands and feet to a cross

2: to destroy the power of : MORTIFY crucify the flesh

3: to treat cruelly : TORMENT

;D

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

@Voodoo    Yeah yeah, laugh it up, fuzzball. Just remember, you and all your other figurative-speechers will be the first against the wall when the etymology revolution comes.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Jul 18, 2020, 06:24:03 PM
I'm not as convinced that people do realize he's not literally been crucified. What is implied by figurative crucifixion?

Umm....

Roman Forms of Crucifixion

Historians of the time of Christ record that Roman crucifixions were carried out on simple stakes in the ground, stakes with crossbeams in various positions and even on tree trunks.
https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/booklets/jesus-christ-the-real-story/roman-forms-of-crucifixion

Umm.....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed