The Berserker Predator is nothing but a flat track bully lol

Started by ChanceVance, Sep 20, 2021, 05:34:46 AM

Author
The Berserker Predator is nothing but a flat track bully lol (Read 6,801 times)

Kimarhi

Poacher vs Hunter is a good take.

Only dangerous if the odds are stacked heavily in their favor. 

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Master on Oct 08, 2021, 06:56:15 PM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Oct 08, 2021, 10:47:10 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2021, 06:03:52 AM
It's a great example along with Wolf of trying to tell, rather than show. We're supposed to believe these Predators are more intimidating, but three of them combined - with the odds stacked in their favour - can't achieve what the original did alone in the first movie.

To be fair these three are likely juvinals who are even less experienced than the three in AVP. Remember its game preserve/ training grounds. The Orig Predator is a graduate, he has already passed both this Game Reserve and likely the AVP temple.

It is very possible and I was talking about it through the years. Thing is we see next prey droped from above at the end and when screen goes black you can clearly hear another Predator clicking. In me head canon  it was master/ trainer of those three.

That's exactly how I see it. Why else woukd Yautja drop the best warriors on a planet and then hunt them if not to train Young Bloods in a more controlled environment? The fact the Judas, the Traitor was added in seemed to me to also indicate studying their prey's behavior, how do humans respond to betrayal? 

SuperiorIronman

In the case of Edwin I took it more implying that the Predators aren't picky about targets so long as they fit the criteria of being able to kill things. So Edwin does look out of place compared to an obvious convict, a mercenary, or even sniper, but he still fits the criteria because he's still a killer. He's just not the kind that's as brazen or sees the same kind of combat. Which makes some level of sense with past films. The Predators will attack soldiers, but they're not against shooting kids provided they're holding an actual gun. Significantly different threat level, but it's still the right criteria.

SiL

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Oct 10, 2021, 01:41:51 AM
That's exactly how I see it. Why else woukd Yautja drop the best warriors on a planet and then hunt them if not to train Young Bloods in a more controlled environment? The fact the Judas, the Traitor was added in seemed to me to also indicate studying their prey's behavior, how do humans respond to betrayal?
Quote from: SiL on Oct 08, 2021, 09:00:24 PM
The film goes to lengths to show that these are supposed to be the bigger badder Predators, from showing a copy of the original tied up and ultimately defeated to Nolan comparing them like wolves to dogs. At no point is it suggested this is a training ground for juveniles.
The movie really isn't vague about this.

Master

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2021, 06:09:18 AM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Oct 10, 2021, 01:41:51 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 08, 2021, 09:00:24 PM
The film goes to lengths to show that these are supposed to be the bigger badder Predators, from showing a copy of the original tied up and ultimately defeated to Nolan comparing them like wolves to dogs. At no point is it suggested this is a training ground for juveniles.
The movie really isn't vague about this.

I know Sill and you are right. It was no where intended or planned,  but thing is those assumptions can be made from what we see on screen. Especially  with the ending. What I'm also saying for years now, this film is strangely complementary to AvP 2004.

SiL

You can really only make those assumptions of you ignore what you see and hear on screen, though. The Predator sound at the end is explained when Nolan says they get interested if you manage to kill one of them - indicating Royce and Isabelle are now prime targets for whoever comes in next.

Stitch

I really don't think the planet is a training ground for juveniles. If anything, it's the opposite.

Other predator hunts have taken place on earth, or wherever, and the predator has gone to the hunting grounds. They actively go out and hunt for prey in the prey's own territory.

The 'super' predators are like rich, crass, 'sport' hunters who own their own island, and have the game shipped in, so that they're hunting in their own territory instead. Stacks the odds in their favour. 

The wolves comment also works with this. Dogs and wolves are equally as dangerous, but typically, a person would be more inclined to approach a dog, right? Might not mean that the 'super' predators are more powerful, or more dangerous than a normal one, just that they're meaner. (I do realise that the concept of wolves being mean is kinda silly, and anthropomorphic, but I'm looking at it from a general and literal audience perspective.)

At the end of the movie, more prey is airdropped in, presumably by other super predators, although it may be automated or something, we don't know. The hunt begins again, except it's not a real hunt. It's all staged and stacked in their favour. They don't even bother going out to hunt for prey, it's all brought to them. They're lazy. Maybe they're rich? Since it's been said that The Predator is set before Predators, then it could be that they're the result of genetic modification.
If there's some sort of predator economy, then maybe the super predators are the rich ones that own their own preserve, can afford to upgrade themselves genetically, and are lazy enough that they can't be bothered to honour and hunt, and instead they have it brought in. They're also mean enough to torture and kill the jungle hunter that isn't one of the elite.

So, probably not juveniles.

Master

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2021, 11:31:29 AM
You can really only make those assumptions of you ignore what you see and hear on screen, though. The Predator sound at the end is explained when Nolan says they get interested if you manage to kill one of them - indicating Royce and Isabelle are now prime targets for whoever comes in next.

Not exactly. What we know for certain that the prey is being dropped there, is being hunted and killed and the process is being repeated every season. We also do know that SuperPredators hunts in groups of three and that they do hunt regular Predators. Those are the facts. It's undeniable.  The rest is open to the interpretation. We don't know who drops the prey. It's not our trio that's for certain.  We don't know how regular Predator got there. Was he dropped with the rest of prey or landed there on his own. He did activated the ship  near camp. It might have been his own, as BSP cannot make it go back and just activates rigged bomb. There's clearly other SuperPredator ship that drops prey, as pointed earlier. But the main arguments for Game Preserve being proving ground  is the confined environment of the event, less challenging and easier to manage and , as you repeatedly and rightly pointed, poor performance of SuperPredator trio. I know it's not the intention of the makers, but we do get what we see.

SiL

The confined location is explained in film as not actually caring about the hunt so much as observing and learning to modify themselves to be better - not because they're inexperienced, but to give them a competitive edge.

The story being bad at communicating that with lame, ineffectual Predators doesn't really change that.

You could throw it into a sequel and make it work, but it's clearly not what the movie itself is actively trying to say.

Master

Yeah, we all know creators intentions. All I'm saying is the final effect  lives room for interpretation for the reasons you stated above.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I'm not sure Predators constitutes as a film with a  thorough character study on par with ...Scarface or Taxi driver or books like to Kill a Mockingbird. But i get your griping. may we get the 4 hour prequel Predators deserves.  ::)

SiL

What are you even referring to?

BlueMarsalis79

He's not a credible source of information man.

Wweyland

I recently realized that Predators is missing a shot of the 3 of the Predators being together or interacting in some way.
Kind of a missed opportunity, AvP had some great shots of them together.

Corporal Hicks

We've got the money-shot of them all decloaking together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed