Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 113,437 times)

Voodoo Magic

Kradan

He's that awesome that his second name reminds me of Portal 2

Hunter-Killer

I laugh everytime Corporal Hicks says "How VERY dare you" haha

BlueMarsalis79

Looking forward to listening.

Kradan

Quote from: Hunter-Killer on Feb 12, 2021, 08:21:31 PM
I laugh everytime Corporal Hicks says "How VERY dare you" haha

That's the best podcast recommendation I've heard in a long time  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Did I actually say that? I genuinely don't remember.  :-X

HuDaFuK

I bet you were drinking a cup of tea with your pinkie sticking out while you said it, too.

Kradan

God, Voodoo does love "And I'm not the only one who says that" argument

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 13, 2021, 01:11:01 PM
God, Voodoo does love "And I'm not the only one who says that" argument

I'm making up t-shirts if ya want one!  ;D

426Buddy

Little over halfway through and really enjoying. It's a good back and forth and the 2 vs 2 dynamic really works in the favor of the discussion.

One thing I can say is that I have agreed with everyone's review to some extent. Everyone's review has valid points and this story feels like a love it or hate it kinda thing.

Personally I would give the comic an 8/10 but totally get many of Voodoo's issues.

Can't wait to finish tonight!

Kradan

All of the above, really

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 13, 2021, 12:16:25 PM
I bet you were drinking a cup of tea with your pinkie sticking out while you said it, too.

It does seem like an excessively English thing to say.

Kradan

Kradan

Ok, I've listened whole review through.

First of all, that was definetly one of the most fun episodes in the recent time. Even though I groan each time Voodoo brings up ADI or The Predator - this episode really convinced me it was a good idea to bring him on the show 'cause it really lacked some hardcore Predator love and Voodoo derinetly has that as well as an unique perspective. That was such a fun debate to listen. Corporal even got mad a few times (that "Rrraaaarrr" when RidgeTop mentioned The Predator was brilliant lol).

Secondly, I liked the comic - I didn't necessarily love it. 7 out of 10 from me. It doesn't mean comic wasn't a great read - it just didn't resonate with as much. But it certainly was something (for better or for worse) different for an AvP story, that's for sure. I found this story to be surprisingly heart-warming and charming.

Like 426Buddy, I can undestand each of the guys' perspectives but I'm certainly more in Hicks/RidgeTop camp than Xenomorphine/Voodoo. I disagree with Xenomorphine's view of Maria - yes, she was oftenly cruel towards her synth brother - emotionally as well as physically - but it didn't make her psychotic in my eyes, especially when I remember how I sometimes treated my younger brother (thinking of which fills me wirh shame). Maybe, I'm a psychotic myself - I hope not. And that moment when Maria hugs him - it felt SO good. Kinda makes me wonder: did Xenomorphine had any brothers or sisters growing up ? He was awfully quiet about that. Also, what's that "Real robot wouldn't do that and that and that" ? i mean, really ? Can't suspend your disbelief a bit more ? In a AvP story ? Geez

On team-up matter - I buy it. That Pred had two of his limbs missing and needed some help even if it's coming from two kids. About them electroshocking and drowning him - I think Maria managed to get through language barrier there. That Pred indeed killed their parents and he understood her anger and frustration about it. For me it showed some amount of human psychology understanding in that Pred which elevated him from just human killing monster. And when near the end he just dropped Tyler's body and immediately proceded to take off -I bought that too. There's a panel with Pred's face close-up when he says "Call it good" for the second time. And that vicious face with blood-like red eyes was telling "We-re not friends - you helped me,I helped you - end of story". For me, it wasn't so much him trying to kill the kids but more like letting them know that from that point on their survival depends on them alone and he doesn't care about it anymore.

Voodoo's thoughts and perspectice on the comic really makes me think that whether you're an Alien fan or a Predator fan really matters reading that comic.Not that it's a bad thing, I just think it can really influence one's opinion and enjoyment with Thicker Than Blood. As with any AvP story, I guess - it comes down to who you root for- Alien or Predator. I agree that father-sons dynamic wasn't present in actual comic at all - it didn't spoil my opinion on these Preds though. I just thought of them as hunting trio and it worked for me as such. I can see Voodoo having an issue with how Preds attacked innocent people but for me explanation that was presented in the comic was enough. Also, does honour code apply to hunts only or for everything Preds do - 'cause that wasn't a hunt situation really ? Also, I'm not sure they intended to kill everybody on that ship -maybe they would kill some of the people to show they mean bussines as in "Don't you f**king dare crossing our territory again or else". For me it doesn't contradict Preds' tribal, almost savage nature. Of course, that's me nerding out but hey - when I can do it to make a story work better - I'm gonna do it. And I don't think that Preds were portrayed as weak - that final Half Of A Pred gave damn good fight. I agree with Hicks that moment with whip and hand removal was so brutal and satisfying. And I really liked that Alien torturing Pred with it's hand and being sadistic - it shows that there's some kind of inteligence behind that dome too.

Oh, and artwork was indeed gorgeous. I mean, what can I say about it that you guys haven't said already? That Alien certainly looked beautiful as f**k. So were the Predators. And I dug how Maria and Tyler looked

And I buy RidgeTop's justification for the man with a parrot inclusion in the story

Anyway, that was a good read - and a great listen

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Fantastic podcast guys. You all are so good that one doesn't know with whom to agree  :laugh:

Keep it up with the quality criticism!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed