Why they didn't make Predator 3 in the 90s?

Started by Galactus123, Apr 13, 2020, 02:45:34 PM

Author
Why they didn't make Predator 3 in the 90s? (Read 4,875 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Galactus123 on Apr 13, 2020, 02:45:34 PM
I wonder why they didn't make Predator 3 in the 1990's? Predator 2 may not have been a big success but it wasn't a flop. Wikipedia says that the budget was $35 million and it made $57.1 million so I'm suprised that Fox didn't make a sequel at some point during the next 10 years. They only made it after the AvP movies. I think it would have been better than the last two movies if they had made it back then. Sorry if there is a topic like this already. I tried to use the search but I didn't find any.

You generally have to add something like three times the production budget to also account for the marketing budget (plus, the studio only really makes money from tickets in the first couple of weeks, after which most of the ticket sale goes to the theatre owner). Even if 'Predator 2' somehow got a small margin of profit, it wouldn't have been enough to push it into the 'hit' status which yet another sequel would have required.

At the time, that and 'Alien 3' were both considered major failures and I remember both getting mostly negative reviews in print media. So, it's not like people were crying out with demand for more of either.

irn

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 13, 2020, 09:16:12 PM
Did they try to get him back ?

They did but Schwarzenegger was a huge star by then and they couldn't budget for the salary he was demanding.

bendinglight

Quote from: irn on Apr 21, 2020, 02:29:02 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Apr 13, 2020, 09:16:12 PM
Did they try to get him back ?

They did but Schwarzenegger was a huge star by then and they couldn't budget for the salary he was demanding.

And I can only imagine that he would have wanted a significant amount of screen time to go along with that hefty salary.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed