[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 97,161 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2021, 09:39:33 PM
Part of me feels like regardless of the outcome, the lawsuit wouldn't affect the movie.

I super hope so!  :laugh: :-X

Quote from: ace3g on May 11, 2021, 11:20:20 PM

by @dannytrs 5 hours ago

This is 40. Thank you @lindseygazel and @tysonbreuer for the bday cookies.

That cookie actually hype me up!  8)

Proteus

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2021, 10:34:34 PM
If an injunction is passed the production will be put on hold

Exactly. It wouldn't make sense for Disney to stop production on their own on a "what if..." They're smart to continue on the off chance things go their way. That way they're not behind on scheduling as the studio time has already been booked. However, if that injunction is placed, then unfortunately that puts an end to that.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Indeed. Disney brings up their new Predator film (Skulls) several times in their own countersuit. Here are some snippets:

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 12, 2021, 01:17:53 PM
Indeed. Disney brings up their new Predator film (Skulls) several times in their own countersuit. Here are some snippets:

https://i.ibb.co/0Mqv9fh/IMG-20210512-093102.jpg

I admit to being part of those with a sense of false hope considering we keep uncovering little bits of production information, like updated crew jobs, scouting photos, BIRTHDAY COOKIES, etc. We assume that if this is going on then something must be happening behind the scenes favoring Disney/Fox we're not privy to. But the fact remains we know nothing at all and won't until May 27th.

Voodoo Magic

I don't know where legal precedent would sway, but perhaps all things being equal, a judge may rule against a preliminary injunction to stop Skulls because people's jobs are on the line and they are already on location?

SiL

I believe there's ample precedent for shutting down movies for legal reasons.

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 12, 2021, 07:55:31 PM
I don't know where legal precedent would sway, but perhaps all things being equal, a judge may rule against a preliminary injunction to stop Skulls because people's jobs are on the line and they are already on location?

Movie productions are constantly shut down for legal and/or non-legal reasons. I have friends in the industry that have worked on shows/films that shut down two weeks into shooting. Sometimes it's a studio regime change. Sometimes it's budgetary reasons. And a lot of other times it's legal reasons. Whatever that reason is, jobs being on the line do not matter. And a judge, even if they feel sympathy for the crew, cannot make a decision based on personal feelings. The decision will be based on how they interpret the complaints. I will say that half my screenwriting friends believe Disney will open their pocket book and settle if the hearing doesn't go their way, while the other half think Disney loses completely and production is stopped. So we're back to speculating and being hopeful (whichever way you're leaning) for another two weeks.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Proteus on May 12, 2021, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 12, 2021, 07:55:31 PM

Movie productions are constantly shut down for legal and/or non-legal reasons. I have friends in the industry that have worked on shows/films that shut down two weeks into shooting. Sometimes it's a studio regime change. Sometimes it's budgetary reasons. And a lot of other times it's legal reasons. Whatever that reason is, jobs being on the line do not matter. And a judge, even if they feel sympathy for the crew, cannot make a decision based on personal feelings. The decision will be based on how they interpret the complaints. I will say that half my screenwriting friends believe Disney will open their pocket book and settle if the hearing doesn't go their way, while the other half think Disney loses completely and production is stopped. So we're back to speculating and being hopeful (whichever way you're leaning) for another two weeks.

I am not suggesting the judgment will be made upon personal feelings.

But we're talking a preliminary injunction versus a permanent junction here, where production would be stopped not based on the merits of the arguments, but based on the merits of the initial claims and its surrounding ramifications.

All things being equal, it's my understanding the judge has to absolutely factor in what exactly she would be stopping (which is a movie is in production right now) and weigh those ramifications on the strength of the claims. This is one of Disney's key points in this countersuit... a You can't do this now - we're working on a film at this very moment! It can't not be taken into account in a temporary injunction.

In regards to legal precedent. To my understanding it has to be specific. It can't be productions have been stopped before. Legal precedent would be a previous case where a preliminary injunction was enforced to stop a film currently in pre-production, based on errors in a copyright termination notice.

SiL

It can always set precedent. The provision has only been actionable for a few years and only used a few times. It's one of the many reasons this case has so much attention in Hollywood.

But exactly zero of us are lawyers so the only real response is "nobody here knows." Time to pull out the popcorn and wait.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on May 13, 2021, 08:23:33 PM
It can always set precedent. The provision has only been actionable for a few years and only used a few times. It's one of the many reasons this case has so much attention in Hollywood.

Yep, if no precedent has been established to point to, said case establishes precedent. There always has to be a first.

QuoteBut exactly zero of us are lawyers so the only real response is "nobody here knows." Time to pull out the popcorn and wait.

That goes without saying. Hence the uncertainty, and why no one here has said that they know definitively what will happen. But it's been fun or interesting for some of us to discuss these past few weeks, even for you I think. But yeah, even if we were lawyers, I believe we'd have to be lawyers proficient in U.S. Copyright law to be truly able gauge which way the wind might blow.

Voodoo Magic

This was posted in March by creature actor Dane Diliegro, who is also followed by Dan Trachtenberg and Alec Gillis. Creature fx by Patrick Magee.

These images brought to mind our "Skulls" Podcast, when Xenomorphine imagined a story where a Predator did not come to Earth to hunt the Comanche, but was on Earth to hunt another creature. So could you imagine the Predator in Skulls was here to hunt the Sasquatch?

It's probably too much of a connect-the-dots stretch, but it's still awfully fun to imagine.  :)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2021, 03:44:54 PM
So could you imagine the Predator in Skulls was here to hunt the Sasquatch?

Handled as a plot twist maybe?  :laugh:

It's probably too much of a connect-the-dots stretch, but it's still awfully fun to imagine.  :)

Yes. 😉

KiramidHead

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 14, 2021, 03:57:44 PM
So could you imagine the Predator in Skulls was here to hunt the Sasquatch?

Handled as a plot twist maybe?  :laugh:

It should be Suburban Sasquatch

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 14, 2021, 03:58:40 PM
Harry and the Predators. ;D

Yeah, when I showed Eric he thought it would be a great Kevin Peter Hall tribute.  :)

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 14, 2021, 03:57:44 PM

Yes. 😉

Well, both the director and ADI follow him, so is there a crazy chance it could happen and the Predator was cleverly put in the background as an inside (for now) joke?  But alas, I agree, I posted this knowing the smart money is probably on me doing fandom daydreaming. So caveat, caveat, caveat. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed