Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,839 times)

SM

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea.  I said I didn't see the point of doing a war movie with USCM unless it has them fighting monsters.

Quote from: Nameless_1 on Sep 09, 2019, 11:58:21 PM
Cancel Culture at it's finest, getting a company to fire a guy without even having to provide evidence first.

What is it with guests and bad takes?

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 10, 2019, 12:57:12 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2019, 11:06:00 PM
You don't need the CM at all.  You just need the Army.

I want to see a riveting drama about them digging latrines and fighting boredom.

Dig latrines?  We just chuck or shit in the direction the enemy is coming. 

SM

Riveting drama about constructing trebuchets for which to fling shit.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I could probably throw some explosives in there.

Even though I have totally forgot my demo calculations.

I just remember P is for plenty. 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2019, 01:58:15 AM
I didn't say it wasn't a good idea.  I said I didn't see the point of doing a war movie with USCM unless it has them fighting monsters.

Ok, here are my true colors on the subject. A movie with Colonial Marines that aren't fighting monsters is too dull for my personal taste. But even if we were talking about a war drama, portraying them in a recognizable way, I don't understand why it has to be something completely separate from Alien. You can count it as a spin-off of the main series. I think it has a potential for a TV show; addressing war, corporate espionage, space colonialism and stuff like that. There should be some monsters, or some kind of nonhuman threat though. But overall, I don't see any reason whatsoever to completely separate it from the Alien universe. You just have to use recognizable elements of the Lore  to make it clear that this is not a generic or real-world military organization, but the USCM.

Kimarhi

I think it could work.  You might draw in some people with just the CM tag.  But almost all of those people would want the Alien involved because that movie is what made them famous. 

I think such things are better in a series format.  I'd have a Colony focus, a Corporate focus, and a CM focus with the CM focusing early on human combat to show how such a force would operate, and then tying them all in together with the Alien for the last episode. 

The CM would have to undergo a serious gear overall.  Their tech is still better but better by decades, not centuries.  I would love a carbine that I could shoot that wouldn't build up with carbon for me to have to clean later.  That'd be every field soldiers wet dream. 

Engineer

Quote from: Nameless_1 on Sep 09, 2019, 11:58:21 PM
Cancel Culture at it's finest, getting a company to fire a guy without even having to provide evidence first.

What is it with guests and bad takes?
I was about to say something along these lines too, lol

Still Collating...

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 10, 2019, 02:45:21 AM
I think it could work.  You might draw in some people with just the CM tag.  But almost all of those people would want the Alien involved because that movie is what made them famous. 

I think such things are better in a series format.  I'd have a Colony focus, a Corporate focus, and a CM focus with the CM focusing early on human combat to show how such a force would operate, and then tying them all in together with the Alien for the last episode. 

The CM would have to undergo a serious gear overall.  Their tech is still better but better by decades, not centuries.  I would love a carbine that I could shoot that wouldn't build up with carbon for me to have to clean later.  That'd be every field soldiers wet dream.

This. It could work. Futuristic soldiers are always cool. Upgrade their tech, show a lot more of it, the different regiments and tactics but keep the Aliens' style and look to a certain degree. The military is fascinating to a lot of people. A future military that's grounded, realistic and down to earth is always nice for the imagination. And having that cool military in the same universe as the Aliens would be awesome.

The marines need to prove themselves to us in realistic combat against humans. Cause it's getting ridiculous, they keep saying (not showing) how badass they are and then getting their asses kicked by the aliens. We have no precedent for them being capable at their job, they seem frequently incompetent. And it's even worse when I see them fighting literal space bugs that look or are described ridiculous.

Naginata

THERE'S NO EVIDENCE!

*is shown mounds of evidence*

... Uh... HASHTAG CANCEL CULTURE!

Engineer

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 10, 2019, 10:38:50 PM
THERE'S NO EVIDENCE!

You forgot the admission of guilt

Prez

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 10, 2019, 11:08:30 PM
Quote from: Naginata on Sep 10, 2019, 10:38:50 PM
THERE'S NO EVIDENCE!

Bingo.

SM

;D

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 10, 2019, 02:32:16 AM

Ok, here are my true colors on the subject. A movie with Colonial Marines that aren't fighting monsters is too dull for my personal taste. But even if we were talking about a war drama, portraying them in a recognizable way, I don't understand why it has to be something completely separate from Alien. You can count it as a spin-off of the main series. I think it has a potential for a TV show; addressing war, corporate espionage, space colonialism and stuff like that. There should be some monsters, or some kind of nonhuman threat though. But overall, I don't see any reason whatsoever to completely separate it from the Alien universe. You just have to use recognizable elements of the Lore  to make it clear that this is not a generic or real-world military organization, but the USCM.

Alien movies are about space monsters.  Either use the space monsters or you're wasting the IP.

Naginata

Naginata

If by "forgot" you mean "brought it up multiple times in literal gigantic bold italicized all-caps," then sure, I forgot.

Engineer

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 11, 2019, 12:53:17 AM

If by "forgot" you mean "brought it up multiple times in literal gigantic bold italicized all-caps," then sure, I forgot.

Lol. No I meant to re-emphasize that fact here.
No disrespect intended.

Naginata

Oh, no worries!  :) I was just being catty.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed