"What If There Are Other Companies Trying To Look At Immortality In a Different Way?"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 05, 2022, 03:03:56 AM

Author
"What If There Are Other Companies Trying To Look At Immortality In a Different Way?" (Read 14,305 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Noah Hawley Is Venturing Into the Absurd With Anthem

QuoteEsquire: FX's John Landgraf described your upcoming Alien spin-off as "a beast," and "a really big world-building exercise" for you. What can you tell us about how the world-building exercise is going?

N.H.: It's going great. It's going slowly, unfortunately, given the scale of it. I've made a certain business out of reinvention. Alien is a fascinating story because it's not just a monster movie; it's about how we're trapped between the primordial past and the artificial intelligence of our future, where both trying to kill us. It's set on Earth of the future. At this moment, I describe that as Edison versus Westinghouse versus Tesla. Someone's going to monopolize electricity. We just don't know which one it is.

In the movies, we have this Weyland-Yutani Corporation, which is clearly also developing artificial intelligence—but what if there are other companies trying to look at immortality in a different way, with cyborg enhancements or transhuman downloads? Which of those technologies is going to win? It's ultimately a classic science fiction question: does humanity deserve to survive? As Sigourney Weaver said in that second movie, "I don't know which species is worse. At least they don't f**k each other over for a percentage." Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, there's still 40% where we have to ask, "What are we talking about it, beneath it all?" Thematically, it has to be interesting. It's humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a38591125/noah-hawley-anthem-alien-fargo-interview/

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

So do I glad it's getting developed carefully.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 05, 2022, 08:20:09 AM
What?
Sounds like more trash that considers the Alien a sideshow in its own series. Also future Earth is 100% the location? Pass.

Kane's other son

Hawley gets that a show about marines fighting an infestation would be boring if there's no underlying theme.

Kradan

I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the whole thing

SiL

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jan 05, 2022, 11:38:06 AM
Hawley gets that a show about marines fighting an infestation would be boring if there's no underlying theme.
Wouldn't have wanted that either

Xiggz456

Sounds very Blade Runner-esque but fortunately that's right up my alley so I'm quite intrigued. But I do understand the worry that the alien itself will be sidelined and minimal.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

He said 60/40 I'd say that ratio's about right when you consider the original film honestly.

The Alien does not appear until around an hour in.

And in a TV Series you will naturally have more downtime overall.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Ha ha Riddles wins and..I'm glad, to those not, as Ash would say, you have my sympathies

..From the info looks like the parameters of where in the timeline it's set has it now narrowed down 😄 somewhere just about before Prometheus and sometime up to Alien/ maybe pre Aliens?

Nightmare Asylum

Just kind of the overall impression I'm getting of the backdrop of the world the show is going to inhabit, based on Hawley's comments here. 'Androids,' 'cyborg enhancements,' 'transhuman downloads,' et. al.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 05, 2022, 09:08:18 PM

Can you imagine establishing a symbiotic link between a human and an Alien in the avatar style?  :o

I'm not saying it would be a nice experience or anything, I'm just wondering.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 05, 2022, 09:35:29 PM
Can you imagine establishing a symbiotic link between a human and an Alien in the avatar style?  :o

Kinda. ;)

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed