Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,123 times)

Ss

Ss

This is the first Alien or Predator book that I've had that I don't think I'll bother finishing.

I don't like the "New Albion" angle at all.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2022, 10:43:34 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2022, 09:28:23 AM
It feels like it's written with an assumption we already know all about him so far.
He's Amanda's totally well established husband, how can you not know everything about this important character already?

I couldn't even tell you if they're married at this point.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I'm on about 100 pages at the minute, and something keeps happening that I can't decide if it's good writing or not.  :laugh: Something will happen plot-wise that I think seems silly, and I'll go "but what about?" and then the book immediately answers me. But I'm not sure I'm satisfied. lol

I think it's the world-building. Things aren't being laid-down for me as groundwork, I'm only finding out as the plot moves to something and I need some basis for believing it in the then-and-there.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Who would have thought we'd have a brexit reference in an Alien book?

Oh dear... page 127.

Spoiler
They've actually done it. They have retconned Amanda Ripley's death. She is still alive and in hypersleep.
[close]

StarWolf212

StarWolf212

3WExit? Not sure what annoyed me more, the Brexit comparison, the Boris clone or the immersion breaking idea of naming the RMC assault unit after the Trumpton fire brigade. (Pugh, Pugh, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb). How am I supposed to not think its a p*ss take?
That and I'm not sure the author was up to speed on his knowledge of the Alien Universe in general and the Royal Marines in particular.

Darkness

Darkness

Not sure if this has been posted but when I flicked through May's issue of SFX, there was an article about the book who had spoken to the author. File attached below:

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 22, 2022, 10:37:18 PM
Who would have thought we'd have a brexit reference in an Alien book?

Oh dear... page 127.

Spoiler
They've actually done it. They have retconned Amanda Ripley's death. She is still alive and in hypersleep.
[close]

Oh God, that is stupid

Spoiler
Just like her mommy ! So we can have her for a further adventures !
[close]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 22, 2019, 10:05:36 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 22, 2019, 09:50:54 PM
I hope the Amanda Ripley Chronicles finishes intact.

What makes you think it'll ever finish?  She lives to the ripe old age of 66, and that's only if Burke is to be believed.

Amanda could have ongoing adventures for decades to come!

Called it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Wow, this sounds awful.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Still think Amanda was a good idea?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

For Alien Isolation yes.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Kradan

Kradan

I'm of a mind that Isolation could've worked just as great without Amanda. Her quest for finding her long lost mother is probably the part of that game I'm least interested in

SiL

SiL

Amanda finding her mother's logs is ultimately a disposable plot point that's only meaningful to fans of the movies - and even then not a particularly welcome one.

Nobody praises the game for its deeply emotional story, they praise the experience. Amanda could've been anyone going on a journey to do anything at the station and it would've had the same audience reaction.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think it definitely adds something, like being able to have this opening:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed