Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology

Started by BryanThomasS, Jan 07, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Author
Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology (Read 62,884 times)

scottsigler

scottsigler

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2022, 11:20:36 AM
It was a solid read, but it did still stick to the usual AvP template so while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't in my overall favourites.

It was a tough one to write. Getting a Yautja and a xenomorph together in that limited word-count was tricky (I'm pretty wordy to begin with).

Quote from: Adamantiumhip on Apr 05, 2022, 08:49:47 PM
Scotts story as a sequel was worth it alone and wish it had been a full book

I would have loved to have a full novel to develop that structure. Another full Ataegina novel probably ain't in the cards, though.

426Buddy

Quote from: scottsigler on Apr 06, 2022, 02:46:48 PM
I would have loved to have a full novel to develop that structure. Another full Ataegina novel probably ain't in the cards, though.

That's a major bummer, I better hurry and pick this up so I can read the sequel story

Corporal Hicks

It was a solid read, but it did still stick to the usual AvP template so while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't in my overall favourites.

It was a tough one to write. Getting a Yautja and a xenomorph together in that limited word-count was tricky (I'm pretty wordy to begin with).

I completely understand. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it! There were just a lot of structurally similar shorts within the anthology, so it was those that were quite different that stuck out to me, especially when the majority of the book were of really good quality anyway.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 06, 2022, 03:06:31 PM

That's a major bummer, I better hurry and pick this up so I can read the sequel story

You should! One of my top 5 Alien novels of all time.

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 08, 2022, 07:22:06 AM

I completely understand. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it! There were just a lot of structurally similar shorts within the anthology, so it was those that were quite different that stuck out to me, especially when the majority of the book were of really good quality anyway.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 06, 2022, 03:06:31 PM

You should! One of my top 5 Alien novels of all time.

Sorry I meant i need to pick this anthology up so I can read the sequel. I read Phalanx already when it came out, it was amazing

Corporal Hicks

Shortly we're recording our podcast review on Aliens vs. Predators: Ultimate Prey. Tell us about your favourite and least favourite shorts in the latest anthology!

Marc505

I won't go through each story but my favourites were:

Hotel Mariposa. Ive already mentioned further up the thread but this was an early favourite of mine and stayed that way until the last few stories. I really loved the explanation for why the building behaved the way it did.

Then Another Mother came along. I haven't read any other shorts set in Ataegina before and I really enjoyed the setting, the language and the people, from such a short story there was a real sense of "lived in" history there. I'd actually like to read a Predator only novel in that setting.

But then my favourite of the entire book was saved until last, Kyodai. Again the setting was compelling as was the writing style it was quite unusual, elegant even. I know the ending probably wouldn't please everyone, but again it was unusual in a field where there can be a lot of similarity.

Similarity is possibly one of the main criticisms I'd have of the book but I suppose there are fairly finite possibilities for squeezing AvP into a short story format. A couple of the stories were possibly a bit too heavy handed with themes in places, such as slavery etc and a couple ended with a bit of an anti-climax.

Overall though I enjoyed it, and am just really happy books concerning these creatures are still coming out and that there's still a keen market for them.

Corporal Hicks

My written review is up - https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/aliens-vs-predators-ultimate-prey/

Podcast review will be up first week of May.

Corporal Hicks

Kradan

Noice !

Kradan

Aaaaw, don't worry RidgeTop, I haven't finished Bug Hunt and If It Bleeds either

Adamantiumhip

I thought it was mediocre. Better than bug hunt but thats not really hard.

Xiggz456

Great podcast guys! I really liked the format you guys chose with favorites up front, honorable mentions last and the least favorites sandwiched between. Obviously I would've listened to the 5 hour version where you go through every story in the book but alas! Lookin forward to the inevitable podcast on "Colony War".

Corporal Hicks

Thanks Xiggz. Glad you enjoyed it. We do seem to be outliers on this one though.

I don't think I can cope with a re-read to do an episode on Colony War though. I think we may skip it.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 10, 2022, 12:33:45 PMThanks Xiggz. Glad you enjoyed it. We do seem to be outliers on this one though.

I don't think I can cope with a re-read to do an episode on Colony War though. I think we may skip it.

No please please please do it.

GreybackElder

Great podcast as always gentlemen! I love the format of picking your favorites and followed by least favorites. I think also think it was a good move to end on some honorable mentions. Overall, I liked the novel. I think you guys were spot on with most of the stories following the same formula. I was like okay, when are the aliens going to win? Id say my biggest gripe was that I've always wanted to see an all out war between hundreds of preds and aliens but nothing in this one. I loved Scylla and Charybdis. The idea of a collector predator was fascinating. Also, the pred v pred is always appreciated and it really helps expand the mythos. Some of my honorable mentions were Hotel Mariposa, Homestead(definitely the most terrifying especially because my wife is pregnant) First Hunt  and film school. I really enjoyed Another Mother but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had read phalanx. That short story had me laughing out loud at times. My least favorite was better luck to borrow and night doctors.  Overall I felt that it was a good read. Better than bug hunt, not quite as good as If It bleeds.7.0 out of 10. I can't wait for Byan Thomas Schmidt's Eyes of the Demon. It's gonna be killer!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed