Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,408 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Seemed more like an extension of a memory taking on a certain life in his head rather than a literal prophecy to me when I read it.

Mr.Turok

Facial expressions and line of action is very stiff. While the art needs work, the writing is great and I can't wait to see more of it.

My issue is now is that Species looking "Goddess". Its too early to say what this new character will do in this run but a part of me wished we had the Queen Mother, since she pretty much fulfills this idea of a superior overlord that can induce nightmare dreams and control aliens through space. Despite this, I'm curious to see where this character will go and how this will affect the series overall.

SM

SM

QuoteI'll take Sam Keith again over traced action figures and stolen art.

There's a line.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just read it and so far I'm excited to see where this narrative goes as there was a lot of set up in this issue that I'm dying to find out more of! Solid issue and looking forward to the next one!

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 24, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
Going in with trepidation I read Alien #1. And so far, I am thoroughly invested. Yep, I enjoyed it. It was a very good first read, even with the art issues justifiably criticized throughout this thread. I especially enjoyed the main family dynamic here. It felt real. So I am definitely looking forward to issue #2, even though... after weeks of reading this thread, I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. :-\

The family dynamic was very well done and I loved that cliffhanger!

Spoiler
Also liked seeing futuristic suburbs for the first time  :laugh:
[close]

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 24, 2021, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 24, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
Going in with trepidation I read Alien #1. And so far, I am thoroughly invested. Yep, I enjoyed it. It was a very good first read, even with the art issues justifiably criticized throughout this thread. I especially enjoyed the main family dynamic here. It felt real. So I am definitely looking forward to issue #2, even though... after weeks of reading this thread, I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. :-\

It really put to bed the worries as to whether or not it would graphic/violent/adult enough, don't you think.

Im with you on it.  I really felt like I was reading quality and am onboard.

Spoiler
When the anti-coporate extremists blew that chick's head off  :o I loved the dialogue right before also where she's just talking about how she can't wait to go shopping at a grocery store! So mundane and then BLAM! Loved it!
[close]

SuperiorIronman

It's mediocre.
The art is an immense turn off where when the Aliens look bad, the Humans are stiff, and at one point Bishop looked like he was melting. I'd imagine Larroca got the face from a different image of Lance Henriksen and didn't adjust it to the head. Speaking of which Larroca self-inserted himself as Cruz and ugh.

The story feels very much like it's being written for the trade. We establish everything we need to know about Cruz and barring I think one example we know as much about him as the press material gave. It could be expanded upon later but to me this feels more like you could potentially skip it once the second issue drops. It's also very bold of them that the bad press surrounding the book has seemingly spoiled the reveal of this book's villain. The Alpha being in a dream sequence here but turns out to be real later. I might be wrong but I'm almost positive that's what's going to go down. The book takes place after Alien 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and this is the company trying to recreate the Xenomorph and the Alpha is the first attempt at cloning Ripley. I'm almost positive that's the case.

It gets a C- from me as the art sucks and while the script is alright it's not fantastic, at best I can describe it as being decent. I'd be interested to see how it sold but since I'm on a few sites I've seen nothing beyond Alien or Predator sites even talk about this and largely being the bad press. It's gonna get at best 6 issues.

PAS Spinelli

if the art was more in line with the first Aliens comic I feel like I'd like this way more

BlueMarsalis79

"If this thing was completely different I'd like it a lot more."

SpaceKase

Man, what's with the Pro-Corporate Anti-United Americas vibe? Weyland Yutani as the good guys...? You guys think the series is going to stick with this sentiment because it would certainly be disturbing and at odds with like 40 years of story telling. Kind of like sitting down sitting down to a Captain America movie and suddenly having Cap be the bad guy and the narrative of the film telling us that Hydra and the Red Skull were in the right all along. Egads.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 24, 2021, 08:05:33 PM

The family dynamic was very well done and I loved that cliffhanger!

Spoiler
Also liked seeing futuristic suburbs for the first time  :laugh:
[close]

lol, spoilers? I'll play along.
Spoiler
Didn't we kinda see this before with Likowski's apartment from the first series back in 1988?
[close]

Xiggz456

Spoiler
Apartments aren't suburbs  ;)
[close]

Xenomrph

So I read a spoiler that
Spoiler
the info dump page at the start of the issue ignores everything except 'Alien' and 'Aliens'?
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 24, 2021, 09:11:36 PM
Man, what's with the Pro-Corporate Anti-United Americas vibe? Weyland Yutani as the good guys...? You guys think the series is going to stick with this sentiment because it would certainly be disturbing and at odds with like 40 years of story telling.

Put all your faith in us- a corporation- Don't worry!
Spoiler
Hail W-Y
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 24, 2021, 09:11:33 PM
Man, what's with the Pro-Corporate Anti-United Americas vibe? Weyland Yutani as the good guys...? You guys think the series is going to stick with this sentiment because it would certainly be disturbing and at odds with like 40 years of story telling. Kind of like sitting down sitting down to a Captain America movie and suddenly having Cap be the bad guy and the narrative of the film telling us that Hydra and the Red Skull were in the right all along. Egads.

I wouldn't start throwing the toys out the pram just yet. It's one character's take on it, whereas the others really aren't in that camp. I actually find the approach rather refreshing. The person working for the bad guys, doesn't think they're bad guys.

So it was okay. It's too early to be sold on the narrative yet, but I'm not enamoured to Cruz or anyone at this point. Some really dodgy panels of artwork in there, but wasn't a train-wreck. This is one of those things were I'm always hesitant to comment on an on-going issue because it's like reviewing a book a chapter at a time.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 24, 2021, 09:21:23 PM
So I read a spoiler that
Spoiler
the info dump page at the start of the issue ignores everything except 'Alien' and 'Aliens'?
[close]

It just mentions them both.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2021, 06:16:14 PM
Seemed more like an extension of a memory taking on a certain life in his head rather than a literal prophecy to me when I read it.

Yeah, I concur there.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2021, 01:07:42 PM
Sam Keith's work on Inhuman Condition is genuinely great and I will die standing on this soapbox.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as genuinely great myself, but it 100% fits the narrative being told and for that it is fantastic.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 24, 2021, 08:58:20 PM
It's also very bold of them that the bad press surrounding the book has seemingly spoiled the reveal of this book's villain.

Or possibly hero...?

The Alpha being in a dream sequence here but turns out to be real later. I might be wrong but I'm almost positive that's what's going to go down. The book takes place after Alien 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and this is the company trying to recreate the Xenomorph and the Alpha is the first attempt at cloning Ripley. I'm almost positive that's the case.

Right on the money timeline wise, Alien 3 is in 2179, this story is 21 years later, a whole generation since Acheron. That Ripley clone attempt is a fascinating idea, it would sort of make this a prequel to Resurrection if it turned out to be the case.

In all likelihood this is yet another total start-from-scratch reboot, but in the Not Bloody Likely event that they kept this in continuity with the original Verheiden comics, this story would be taking place about 6 or 7 years after the Infestation, selective incineration, and reclamation of Earth, about contemporary with 2009's "More than Human" era.

So the golden age of Alien Cultists thriving in the shadows of society and rampant access to banned xeno-biological materials for corporations to illegally experiment upon. Kinda right on the money era-wise with Kliest and his bugmen too. Though, once again, seriously doubt Marvel would pick up any DH threads, but a girl can dream.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 24, 2021, 09:08:25 PM
"If this thing was completely different I'd like it a lot more."
Yes

BlueMarsalis79

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed