The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!!

Started by RoaryUK, Sep 17, 2012, 07:24:25 PM

Author
The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!! (Read 47,602 times)

Nightmare Asylum

MrSpaceJockey, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Sep 21, 2012, 12:17:05 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv7X1FECG0KO-CKknfooWZHkEPzH_upj286NhNfxyobu-l4BUvAQ

If he opens his mouth again, shoot him.

I'd also better chip in on this topic somewhat constructively before I disappear to giff hell. Personally I don't think the Engineer speaking is really needed, though I really do enjoy Weyland's piece of dialogue towards him. I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground that can be reached if anybody a) feels the same way and b) is making a fan edit.

Nightmare Asylum

God help us, we're in the hands of Engineers.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 21, 2012, 12:24:39 AM
God help us, we're in the hands of Engineers.
Finally! :laugh:

whiterabbit

Bat Chain Puller

Darth Vile

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 21, 2012, 12:14:07 AM
Ah, now eventually you do plan to have Aliens in your, in your Alien prequel, right? Hello?... Hello? Yes?
LOL  ;D

Xenomorphine

Quote from: zuzuki on Sep 19, 2012, 01:27:37 PM
you forget the fact that the engineers visited earh many times and are shown in various cultures around people. surely they teached the people their language. also the language they are using in the film was indo-european or something like that, a real reconstructed language. there is nothing ''hand-wavey'' about that.

It was hand-wavey from the point of story-telling, IMO. So were Lucas' ewoks and they had a language especially thought up for them, too. :)

Quotemy belief is that the engineer get's insulted because he comes from a culture that welcomes death, doesn't run from it, in a way similar to tibetan monks-they love live, but don't try to live forever,they welcome their death. weyland was just a smug human, who thinks he has the right for longer life just because he created something, and even called himself a god. and because of his arrogance and his demand he gets punished for it.

The Engineer was only told of some of that, via David 8, though.

And even if he/she/it could have understood the entirety of what Weyland says, the reaction is completely over the top and nonsensical. Could've just gone, "No." Instead, it turns into the Hulk - which makes any inference of moral superiority a mockery. By contrast, Weyland's being sensible, not smug.

Quote from: Snowblind on Sep 19, 2012, 02:41:37 PM
I didn't say compasion, although pity is close, you are correct. Poor wording on my part; I mean't the engineer saw David as something which shouldn't exist, like a greek god seeing a man weilding fire, something ''wrong'' which had to be erased. I see some significance in the fact he only kills David ... do you?

As others have said, the Engineer tries killing everyone, but regardless of that, I really can't agree. :)

What's so special about synthetics which made them some form of cultural red line? This is what I don't understand and the 'Alien' films, themselves, make it clear that they don't really lead to anywhere special. The entire industry apparently just falls apart, economically. Anyone trying to apply Skynet-like philosophies to this film is contradicted by the continuity.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 22, 2012, 12:41:26 AM

The Engineer was only told of some of that, via David 8, though.

And even if he/she/it could have understood the entirety of what Weyland says, the reaction is completely over the top and nonsensical. Could've just gone, "No." Instead, it turns into the Hulk - which makes any inference of moral superiority a mockery. By contrast, Weyland's being sensible, not smug.

As others have said, the Engineer tries killing everyone, but regardless of that, I really can't agree. :)

What's so special about synthetics which made them some form of cultural red line? This is what I don't understand and the 'Alien' films, themselves, make it clear that they don't really lead to anywhere special. The entire industry apparently just falls apart, economically. Anyone trying to apply Skynet-like philosophies to this film is contradicted by the continuity.
I agree... For better or worse we don't why the engineers were heading for Earth and why the engineer reacted like he did. Some clarity woukd be good... but we don't get that from the deleted scenes... it just makes the engineers reactions more illogical.

Salt The Fries

^ Ambiguous? Instead of brutish? I'm sure if those scenes weren't deleted in the first place, you wouldn't produce such thoughts as you did now.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Sep 22, 2012, 07:12:29 AM
^ Ambiguous? Instead of brutish? I'm sure if those scenes weren't deleted in the first place, you wouldn't produce such thoughts as you did now.
You think the deleted scene makes it more ambiguous?

BANE

BANE

QuoteInstead, it turns into the Hulk - which makes any inference of moral superiority a mockery.
As morality is subjective this is entirely debatable.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: BANE on Sep 23, 2012, 04:42:53 PM
QuoteInstead, it turns into the Hulk - which makes any inference of moral superiority a mockery.

But "They are us"?

Gilfryd

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Sep 21, 2012, 05:39:35 AM
Spoiler

[close]

Hey, I've seen those before.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Sep 25, 2012, 01:23:20 PM
Quote from: BANE on Sep 23, 2012, 04:42:53 PM

But "They are us"?
That doesn't mean they have the same moral values as us. And they didn't say ''they are us''. they said their dna precedes ours

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed