The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!!

Started by RoaryUK, Sep 17, 2012, 07:24:25 PM

Author
The Engineer Speaks..... I think!!! (Read 47,998 times)

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 06:28:07 PM
No, that's not the original spider walk.

The original spider walk was a longer sequence where Regan came down the stairs, flicking her tongue at people and chased them about a bit.  Friedkin thought it was too much to play that scene right on top of the shock of the news of Burke Dennings's death.  The scene as it originally existed - much of it can be viewed on one of the old Special Editions - was just fine.

The version in "The Version You've Never Seen," cut down to nothing but a quick shot of the walk down the stairs, with CG blood in Regan's mouth and a goofy monster sound effect added over unnecessary music, is an abortion of the spider walk.  It's awful.

The spiderwalk you described sounds laughable. I'm glad they changed it.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: echobbase79 on Sep 18, 2012, 06:43:25 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 06:28:07 PM
No, that's not the original spider walk.

The original spider walk was a longer sequence where Regan came down the stairs, flicking her tongue at people and chased them about a bit.  Friedkin thought it was too much to play that scene right on top of the shock of the news of Burke Dennings's death.  The scene as it originally existed - much of it can be viewed on one of the old Special Editions - was just fine.

The version in "The Version You've Never Seen," cut down to nothing but a quick shot of the walk down the stairs, with CG blood in Regan's mouth and a goofy monster sound effect added over unnecessary music, is an abortion of the spider walk.  It's awful.

The spiderwalk you described sounds laughable. I'm glad they changed it.

Well, she flicks her tongue at people in both versions.

The scene is brief in the original, and effective, but it's not the very fast slam-bang hilarious misfire of the EXTREEEEME re-release cut.  There's a reason "The Version You've Never Seen" has been disowned by fans, and it's not just all the floating heads.

ETA: The full Engineer/Weyland scene isn't bad.  There's some nice tension even in the extended take.  I still don't think it needs to speak.  The speech Weyland gives is worth putting back in, but the Engineer speaking here doesn't work for me, really.

Vickers

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 03:51:55 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 03:09:48 PM
While I respect your opinion, I think all the deleted scenes released so far add some kind of value to the film.

I love a lot of deleted material I see for films, but oftentimes with movies there's also stuff you'll find which you can see why it got cut - either because it was extraneous, or ill-advised, or spells out too much or becomes redundant.  More is not always better.  For example, I think the scene with Vickers and David bickering over comm for half a minute as she heads down to torch Holloway is a pointless bit.  Oh, Vickers made another jibe and alluded to the subplot we've already clearly seen David engaged in - it really adds nothing and is just a needless moment.  And while some of the stuff I've seen I really like and would've liked to see back in, I think other pieces I've seen kind of trod the same ground a bit too much.  Fifield and Millburn with the shed skin, too - it really adds almost nothing but an Alien callback, which the people who dislike the film would've slammed as pandering.  It also doesn't get explicated on or proven out with the monster - I never got the sense the hammerpede shed its skin.

Agree to disagree.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 03:51:55 PM
QuoteAnd you really think the Vickers and Weyland scene is over-long?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_losxd2UAKn1qc24g0.gif

Yes, criminally overused Oprah gif, I do.  I think part of it is good, but then I think it starts banging the drum too much, hitting the same beat over and over on poor dear daughter Meredith in the way Lost too often did with its dreadfully terrible characters and their emo family feelings.  She just talks and talks and speechifies once she crosses to him, and I got a little bored.  I see why they stripped it down.  When I write I often am trying to pare my own stuff down.  I find there's sometimes more deft power in that - just watching a daughter kiss her father's hand and watching it curl into a fist.  I think they could've kept a little more of that in the final cut, but no, not all of it.  And I love Vickers, so that's saying something for me.

First of all, that's the first time this GIF has been used on AVP Galaxy.  Don't believe me, look for yourself. ;) Second of all, it's irrelevant to the discussion.  And third of all...

Spoiler
[close]

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 07:18:43 PM
First of all, that's the first time this GIF has been used on AVP Galaxy.

Oh, I was speaking more in general of the Internet running that shit into the ground long before today.  But no, cliched GIF, I'm not mad in the slightest.  I was just saying my piece about why I thought the Vickers/Weyland scene needed some trimming of the sappy fat.  I can see why they did.

Besides, everyone knows Oprah GIFs are so spring 2012 (perhaps even 2010).  We're onto Romney.

Vickers

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Sep 18, 2012, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 07:18:43 PM
First of all, that's the first time this GIF has been used on AVP Galaxy.

Oh, I was speaking more in general of the Internet running that shit into the ground long before today.  But no, cliched GIF, I'm not mad in the slightest.  I was just saying my piece about why I thought the Vickers/Weyland scene needed some trimming of the sappy fat.  I can see why they did.

Besides, everyone knows Oprah GIFs are so spring 2012 (perhaps even 2010).  We're onto Romney.

Ah, you see, I don't follow fashion trends.  And Spring 2012 has just started in my part of the world.  So...

I wasn't aware how popular Oprah gifs were - bless these beautiful gifs. ;D

MrSpaceJockey

What happens in "Janek Fills Vickers In"?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Sep 18, 2012, 07:50:39 PM
What happens in "Janek Fills Vickers In"?
Spoiler
Janek fills Vickers in.
[close]

MrSpaceJockey

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'm not saying I filled Vickers in.

But I filled Vickers in.

LarsVader

SpeedyMaxx

The Idris one is fabulous.

Vickers

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Sep 18, 2012, 08:07:20 PM
I'm not saying I filled Vickers in.

But I filled Vickers in.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: RiddleMeTheus on Sep 18, 2012, 01:43:23 PM
Quote from: ikarop on Sep 18, 2012, 01:39:30 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18/prometheus-deleted-scene

Seriously, what was Ridley thinking?  All the scenes I've seen so far, including this one, should have been left in.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/andrea_faustine/Cartoon%20Gifs/Andy-Disappointed.gif

TOTALLY AGREE.... we didin't need to hear the Engineer speak, but seeing this added extra would have added so much impact on a scene that we ended up just questioning....shame it was left out at all!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ikarop on Sep 18, 2012, 06:13:51 AM
Spoiler
He asks Weyland why he wants to live forever. Before that he asks David why they are there.
[close]

Which disproves the 'they invited us' theory speculated by some of the characters.

Quote from: Snowdog on Sep 18, 2012, 02:51:31 PM
He didn't speak english but maybe he understood it well enough to be pissed about some lower being, being able to create "life". Just like the predator does minus the mimicing.

I'm not seeing how. :)

Like others have said, he/she/it has no way to understand English and there are no indicators in that scene for it to comprehend that David's artificial, let alone that Weyland's personally responsible for creating him.

And even if there were, it still doesn't make sense. Weyland's pointing out they're both representative of creators, which is meant to be true in this context. Why the hell would the Engineer take exception to us being able to create robots?

Quote from: ikarop on Sep 18, 2012, 03:12:56 PM
Just listened to more of the audio commentary and Ridley Scott mentions that the Engineer was "maybe insulted that a non-human was talking to him" and hence why he decapitates David.

1: "Maybe" strongly indicates this is one of those things he just added in there for the sake of mystery, without having a clear idea, himself. Shame.

2: That explanation makes no sense... The Engineers expect us to personally have learned their language? If we're considered as inferior, wouldn't the Engineer be insulted at humans, themselves, speaking to them, too?

This is confirming to me just how hand-wavey and nonsensical this scene ultimately was, sadly.

Barringer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 19, 2012, 02:01:47 AMAnd even if there were, it still doesn't make sense. Weyland's pointing out they're both representative of creators, which is meant to be true in this context. Why the hell would the Engineer take exception to us being able to create robots?

Before we found out what David said to the Engineer, I had originally speculated that he identified himself as artificial and Weyland as his creator and that is what led to the violence. The opening scene is detached from the plot and exists to establish that the Engineers place a religious or cultural importance on sacrificing to create. That Weyland created David without there being sacrifice might be viewed as a religious or cultural taboo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed