Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film

Started by aliens13, Apr 09, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Author
Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film (Read 28,566 times)

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2019, 03:34:48 AM
What about it?
Poorly mixed, badly dubbed.

SM

SM

Other than being a little on the quiet side I didn't have any problems with the sound.  I just turned the volume up.

SiL

Don't watch the old dude's lips when he talks early on :P

Huggs

Huggs

Use headphones and listen to the baseball dialogue.

She went Microsoft Sam.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2019, 04:16:27 AM

OK. I won't.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2019, 04:16:27 AM

Their lips moved?  :laugh:

SiL

Hers didn't move much for half of their baseball conversation, no -- but they did move.

Old mate's were moving about half a beat before any sound came out.

Predatorium

Anyone else found this episode a bit racist? I mean the black guy just had to be a stereotype and steal something, right? What did that add to the story? so it would be an excuse for him to be carrying a pistol? I can think of  a few other ways to add a projectile weapon to the story, this was just lazy.

SM

SiL

No.

I think this exchange nails it:

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 13, 2019, 06:50:11 PM
Quote from: razeak on Apr 13, 2019, 06:12:05 PM
Did anyone complaining about stereotypes consider that maaaaaaaybe the script was written with a thief in mind and not a black guy in mind? I mean the other character portrayed was a black person and she was the hero. Just food for thought. 50% of the cast was black. I would lean toward it wasn't a stereotype.

That's what I'm saying.

The color of one's skin doesn't automatically make people good or bad, nor should it protect them from character flaws in a movie script. If a non-Caucasian character steals something, and the first thing that comes to someone's mind is their race, I think that's rather telling.

It's a non issue with this short that's getting overblown, and it needs to chill.

Corporal Hicks

Unfortunately my least favourite of the shorts so far (and overall). While the opening sequence is pretty sweet, it doesn't match up to it. I didn't like any of the characters in this, and that's in terms of actual likeability and being interesting. It was nice getting to see a chestburst (and seeing some effects this time) but I don't think it worked well. It was just a little on the dull side for me.

In terms of the leading woman thing...as has been addressed, it was a criteria for these shorts, among others of being an echo back to Alien since these are in celebration of the 40th anniversary.

SM

Won't someone please think of the poor downtrodden men??

Corporal Hicks

Alien is a female led franchise. It is that simple. And really it makes absolutely no difference and should be a none issue. In terms of the theatrical releases, for me, lately it's been an issue of telegraphing which particular actress makes it through to the end in the marketing (which isn't really an issue here).

Jonesy1974

My god that guy was a terrible shot!

Didn't think much of that one, probably the weakest of the bunch so far.

SiL

QuoteIn terms of the leading woman thing...as has been addressed, it was a criteria for these shorts, among others of being an echo back to Alien since these are in celebration of the 40th anniversary.
It's mentioned as something to "keep in mind", but is conspicuously absent from the actual "requirements" section.

Fun thing I found reading through the requirements; everyone had to present two casting options to Fox for each role, and Fox had final say. Wonder how often this came into play.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed