Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 123,590 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 25, 2018, 05:59:26 AMAlso, 100 years ago I did an email interview with Lee Brimmicombe-Wood and remember him mentioning that content from Alien and Alien 3 was left out of the Technical Manual.

I've always questioned that.

There's stuff from Alien in the book - the Nostromo, the Narcissus etc. The traditional explanation is that they were allowed because they were mentioned and/or appeared in the second film, and because of that they fell under that film's licence and could be included.

But there's also the piece about the escape pod from Alien 3 in there, which clearly was never connected to the second film at all.

So I've never understood what is being referred to when people say stuff form the other films wasn't allowed. Because it was. It's in there. And off the top of my head I can't really think of anything from the first or third films that could go in there beyond what there already is.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2018, 10:45:24 AM

So I've never understood what is being referred to when people say stuff form the other films wasn't allowed. Because it was. It's in there. And off the top of my head I can't really think of anything from the first or third films that could go in there beyond what there already is.

All the specific legal stuff is too intricate and complicated for me.

The Cruentus

Finally finished this, brilliant book indeed and that Sudler is a piece of work, Got to give him props for being more braver than Burke, to an extent.

Spoiler
So many interesting things in it such as the research they are doing and the fact that Seegson not only still exists but manages to pull one over on Weyland-Yutani. While Dorian Sudler is established as a major dick from the start as he likes have people fired for little to no reason. He becomes far worse after becoming obsessed with the Xenomorphs, it is interesting to see him spiraling and becoming more unhinged and dangerous as the story progress.
Blue is an interesting character too and a very strong survivor, as despite her condition putting her at all sorts of risks, she goes through hell to get what she wanted.
Her identity is interesting too as at the end of the book, Seegson offers to give her a female synthetic to use as an avatar but declines saying she prefers a male body to use.
Either this is because she doesn't want anything from Seegson, or she has used Marcus so long that she is used to that type of body and maybe enjoys feeling equal to colleagues who would otherwise treat her differently (as there is still some sexism in the story which I find odd since its the future, I would figure it be far more progressive than now.) or perhaps she may harbor some transgender traits, the latter won't make too much sense since we know that gender reassignment seems to be more perfected by the first film if Lambert is any indication so if Blue felt that way, she could have had a re-assignment years before going to the Cold forge, of course maybe the Bishara's syndrome prevented that.

I am not sure how to feel about Seegson, ever since Alien Isolation, every book has to either mention them, their products or have them in to varies success. Here, these "underdogs" have proven themselves to be worse than Weyland-Yutani ever was.
While the latter has had "crew as secondary priority" they never intentionally murdered people like Seegson did. In the first film, it is Ash interpreting the orders after the crew become a threat to the Alien, in the second film its Burke acting alone and in the third, they let Morse live even though Ripley thought they would kill witnesses. The games and comics tend to make them worse but the movie W-Y is ambiguous and morally gray at worst.
Spoiler
Seegson outright arranges for nearly everyone aboard to be killed, they released the Xenomorphs.
[close]

Dorian's fate is little too easy for him despite what it is.
Spoiler
Normally being impregnated is the worst fate you can have but due to his recent insanity and obsession with the Xenomorphs, he is pleased and happy to have a legacy.
[close]

One thing I didn't like was the once again sped up life-cycle, apparently the facehuggers immediately deposit the plagiarius stuff upon attaching to a host, though one tech guy does say it comes off in a day or two, but that still doesn't explain why we got Marachuk and some other colonist dead from  successfully removing the hugger before it deposited the mutagen. It also shows a Chimpanzee given birth to a chestburster not long after it had woken up, actually its almost instant. Too much Covenant influence methinks or perhaps Fox did actually add a few "suggestions".

Other than a few things like that,
[close]
this is easily one of the best Alien books, I highly recommend it to those who haven't read it.

Perfect-Organism

This book was awesome.  Riveting.  I am surprised more people aren't discussing it here.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

New commentary from Alex about Chapter 2 -

Chapter 2: Arrival
Welcome to my monthly short feature about the interesting bits of ALIEN: THE COLD FORGE! In this section, I'll be discussing any interesting bits of trivia about the individual chapters.

Show and tell

In the book, all the project managers line up to brief Dorian on their projects with boring presentations. In real life, that's exactly how it works. Going into classified labs, I was always struck by the cheesy posters and video screens, like it was some kind of science fair.

If you ever work in the defense industry, you can expect to sit through a lot of PowerPoints, and I assure you, they'll pack each slide with a full page of text.

For more information on SCIFs, click here!

Why does Dorian hate his family so much?

This isn't in the book, but Dorian comes from a family of high-minded academics. His father was instrumental in developing energy-efficient solutions and reducing industrial waste. Dorian, however, was never good at that stuff, and vastly preferred auditing for its political machinations. When he told his parents what he was doing for a living, it caused a (very polite, but tense) falling out.

Dorian and his father haven't spoken in ten years.

Where did the idea for the killbox come from?

I draw a lot from my defense contractor experience. During a military exercise, I visited the DMZ in South Korea, and there was a football field-long, chain-link corridor between two guard shacks. Anti-vehicle pylons dotted the road, preventing anyone from simply bashing through. I went to knock at the guard shack door on my side... and there was no one inside. I couldn't simply leave after poking around an abandoned guard shack--I'd be arrested on suspicion of sabotage/terrorism/espionage/whatever. Remember, this was the border of two nations who are still at war.

I had to walk across the 100-meter expanse to a man on the far side, who had an automatic rifle ready to mow me down. It was one of the most tense moments of my life!

On a side note, Alex's Big Ship was finally released in the UK and my copy is on the way.  ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 26, 2018, 11:33:00 AMNew commentary from Alex about Chapter 2 -

Huh, I could've sworn I signed up to the mailing list, but I didn't get that. Just tried subscribing again and got an email asking me to confirm, so I guess I should get the next one!

426Buddy

Just finished "Predator: If It Bleeds" so just starting Cold Forge now. Super excited about this one.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2018, 10:45:24 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Jun 25, 2018, 05:59:26 AMAlso, 100 years ago I did an email interview with Lee Brimmicombe-Wood and remember him mentioning that content from Alien and Alien 3 was left out of the Technical Manual.

I've always questioned that.

There's stuff from Alien in the book - the Nostromo, the Narcissus etc. The traditional explanation is that they were allowed because they were mentioned and/or appeared in the second film, and because of that they fell under that film's licence and could be included.

But there's also the piece about the escape pod from Alien 3 in there, which clearly was never connected to the second film at all.

It's true, it was legal limitations that prevented the stuff from Alien3 and Alien from being in the Tech Manual. The Nostromo and Narcissus were a loophole because of their inclusion in 'Aliens', and the EEV gets included because it's logical that the Sulaco would have an escape system - it's all genericized, though, the book doesn't describe the EEV's physical appearance or anything like that, and it doesn't have any pictures. It's also why the events of the movie aren't directly covered despite the final chapter of the book being set after Alien3. There's oblique references (Epsilon Eridani), but nothing specific.

Still Collating...

Finally read the book. IMO, this is the best Alien book I've ever read. Blue was very engaging and Dorian was a treat for me because I always like bad guys fleshed out well. The characters in this book were fantastic, very believable, loved the dialog. Most of all, I loved how no character was bland or simply good or bad and everyone was complicated with lesser or greater flaws. They all felt very human. It would be so satisfying to dissect and analyze these characters for hours and hours and also, the aliens are shown to be smart and vicious. Those two things are what I want most in my Alien novel. Good and smart characters and smart and genuinely dangerous aliens. That's it. This guy gets it.
Spoiler

Even though we don't see the aliens all the time, I'm very happy with how they were treated in the book. They always felt like a threat and were not treated as fodder. Even when they're not there, the fear of them finding the characters was always present. I'd say they were used very effectively, with great love and respect for this monster.
Seegson did see a bit like a mustache twirling company for having killed all of those people just like that. Though, again, the explanation at the end I really liked, and they really had a good plan that they got away with. Cruel but smart and logical to some extent.

I wished Dorian died a crueler death by the alien, being ripped apart gruesomely with him screaming like a child, realizing he was not as fearless as he thought. I just wanted him to suffer more, but the sick bastard really liked how he kicked the bucket. Admittedly, his final scene was beautiful and poetic in a sort of way, so that made up for him not getting punished more.

I was really surprised by Marcus' passive-aggressive behavior, really enjoyed him! His "I'm not a killer like you" got me laughing a few times, yet disturbed me also. He really did feel like a synthetic, close to human, but not really, he felt somewhat unpredictable to me. Always was wondering if he'll betray Blue.

Really didn't expect Blue to survive knowing what she went through in the last few chapters.

What I mostly respect is that the author did his research and had input from all these different experts that really helped make this a special experience. I'm so glad somebody actually thought of a smart way to contain the aliens and their eggs, I was very pleased with the security.

I have only one question. Who let the aliens out of the cages? Cause it wasn't Lucy, that's made clear in the book. 
[close]

Enjoyed this like few other books. I want to see the author back to write another book in the Alien universe more than any other author right now.
The funny thing is I made an Amazon account so I could buy this book on Kindle and now that I've read it and want to write a review to help the author and show how pleased I was with it, Amazon says I can't write reviews until I buy enough stuff from them!  :laugh:

SM

SM

Spoiler
One of the Seegson saboteurs remotely piloted Marcus to open the cages.
[close]

Still Collating...

Spoiler
Thanks! I forgot Dorian speculated about that. Poor Marcus, just another nice serving bot who didn't want to hurt anyone and thanks to Seegson his body was used to indirectly kill everyone on that station. Everyone except the one person who used him to kill someone with his own hands while Marcus was fully awake and watched. Damn that's dark. I feel more sorry for him than for anyone else on that station. He was just trying to do his job.

And Marcus is a good example why having remote controlled androids is not a good idea.  :laugh:
[close]

HuDaFuK

So I finally got around to listening the to Alex White podcast last night, and it was an excellent interview. Really fascinating to hear how White used many of his personal experiences to inform the book. Seems like a genuinely nice bloke too. Probably going to track down more of his work off the back of it.

He mentioned how thrilled he is that the "hardcore fans" have praised the book so consistently; I really hope he's popped in here from time to time to read the glowing reviews that have been shared. I feel like he deserves to know just how highly many of us rate his effort.

Kudos for a great interview, Hicks!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Halfway through the book and lovin it.

Soooo goooood!

I dont want to put it down but I want to take my time and savor it. :laugh:

Wweyland

The hype is through the roof on this one. Just about to finish Rage War and start on this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed