What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 33,008 times)

WY Corporate

WY Corporate

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 24, 2016, 08:04:02 PM
Quote from: WY Corporate on May 23, 2016, 10:56:15 AM
It's at least an enjoyable and entertaining movie, featuring two of my favorite movie characters at once clashing each other ... It's my second King Kong vs Godzilla!  :D

That's how I look at AVP, because well.. I grew up watching those old Kaiju films, especially the Showa era Godzilla films and King Kong vs Godzilla happened to be one of them. Maybe it's this childhood influence which allowed me to enjoy the film.

Same with me here  ;)
(Btw, King Kong vs Godzilla is at best enjoyable in its original japanese cut! It is one of my most favorite films ...  ;D )

Thomas H.

Thomas H.

Oh man, AvP and AvP:R are the perfect saturdaynight beer and chips movies and some friends who love Alien and Predator. The first one is ok-ish, despite having some really bad moments as well. So, when you start your beers and chips, you're still actually watching the film, but also having some laughs and commenting on it.
By the time your start the second one, make sure you already had three beers, and start the second big bag of chips. ;) After that fourth beer kicks in, you're all enjoying the bad gore, horrible acting bad lighting. You're not even really watching it anymore, you're just having a hell of a good time with friends that love Alien and Predator but that can still bash AvP:R.

Although I'll admit.... I liked Wolf, and the PredAlien looked ok.

Kaltes

Kaltes

^

So in other words regard them like I do when I see a bad movie on TV.

Thomas H.

Thomas H.

What is bad? I LOVE Predator. But, when I compare the acting to something like The King's Garden, it's not that good. ;) Bad has several definitions. So yeah, I'd call AvP:R a bad movie, but still entertaining. But,compare it with a piece of dung called American Ninja 4, it's a friggin Oscar winner. There are levels of bad.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Watching this I felt like I was watching a movie for a younger audience, which is not the impression you should be getting from either franchise. The characters were bland and unmemorable, with the lead being the predictable Ripley-Lite and Lance Henriksen looking like he is just there for the paycheck. Gone are the glimpses of the Alien, now nothing is left to the imagination as a pumped up Predator smashes a Xeno through stone pillars in a sweeping cam shot. Felt like a cutscene in a beat-em-up.
With the walls moving every 15 minutes or so, you know that it is far too soon that the Aliens are fully grown and ready to fight, but it happens anyway just to get the namesake match rolling. The exposition of the Yautja's history felt lazy and thrown in, and everything seemed very dumbed down. The environments in the temple feel like sets, even though they are miles underground with only torches, everything is very lit. Which is a shame. It would be much better if the Aliens were coming out the darkness to kill, similar to the dark claustrophobia of The Descent, and being able to see the lights of the Pred's Battle armour and shoulder cannon in the pitch black would have been cool. But it was very tame. Not much if any blood, having a chestburster rip through your ribcage made the characters look like they had bad ingestion rather than Kane-style gasps and screams.
It was an interesting idea to have an Alien with a recognisable injury to make things more personal, and I did like Grid a bit.
The CG Queen battle at the end was a bit too Jurassic Park. Yes, she is a threat, but she seems much bigger and now can charge through pretty much anything. This Queen would have just rushed smacked into Ripley's powerloader and thrown it right against the opposite wall.
The ending where the Predalien chestburster pops out to 'DUN-DUN-DUN' had me rolling my eyes and made me shrink at the possibility of more Vs movies to come.
I know this is regarded as canon, but in my world this sits alongside the 2nd as two very well financed fan fiction movies.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jun 11, 2016, 09:06:59 PM
Lance Henriksen looking like he is just there for the paycheck.

Come to think of it, every other actor felt like that too.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 10, 2016, 07:51:24 PMOh man, AvP and AvP:R are the perfect saturdaynight beer and chips movies and some friends who love Alien and Predator.

They don't even entertain me on that level. If I get pissed around AVP:R I'm more likely to pick a drunken fight with my TV than anything.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't think I've ever seen you comment on the first AvP. What are your thoughts on that?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I used to hate it, but I've mellowed to it somewhat recently. I still think it's pretty rubbish overall, but there are one or two little things that I quite like (the setting's undeniably neat, even if the time period's all wrong) and it's not too bad as a trashy piece of entertainment.

I still think it's substantially worse than any of the other Alien or Predator films though.

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

You don't watch AVP:R, you listen to it. It's too dark to watch. It's like an old-time radio program.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 14, 2016, 10:07:51 AM
I used to hate it, but I've mellowed to it somewhat recently. I still think it's pretty rubbish overall, but there are one or two little things that I quite like (the setting's undeniably neat, even if the time period's all wrong) and it's not too bad as a trashy piece of entertainment.

I still think it's substantially worse than any of the other Alien or Predator films though.

So you'd rate it below Resurrection?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I would rate AvP below 3/4th of Resurrection myself, but when the newborn enters the movie, its hard to watch at all.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 15, 2016, 02:34:45 PM
I would rate AvP below 3/4th of Resurrection myself, but when the newborn enters the movie, its hard to watch at all.
Well the director is known for his romantic comedy's.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 15, 2016, 01:00:34 PMSo you'd rate it below Resurrection?

Yeah. They both have problems but I think Resurrection is more successful at what it's trying to be (even if what it's trying to be is the wrong kind of movie). AVP constantly feels like a film that's trying way too hard to be "hip" and "cool" and almost always failing. And good God the dialogue...

Nostromo

Nostromo

AR had a pretty good beginning and went ok until the newborn barfpuke. The location is 10 times better than AVP aboard a huge cool Military Spaceship. Having said that, 1000 feet below a pyramid in Antartica was probably the best location one can find on Earth, for an AVP story...AVPR sucks, don't even want to talk about that thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed