Genetic Aberrations, Revisiting The Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #95

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 21, 2019, 05:36:02 AM

Author
Genetic Aberrations, Revisiting The Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #95 (Read 19,793 times)

Wysps

In order to follow a code of conduct, I think you'd have to have a sense of respect or honor, integrity, or some similar synonym. Or at least be scared of the repercussions if you don't follow the rules. I don't see the latter being the case amongst Predator.

If a code isn't being followed out of fear, then I'd imagine it's being followed out of principle.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 28, 2019, 05:38:15 PM
In order to follow a code of conduct, I think you'd have to have a sense of respect or honor, integrity, or some similar synonym. Or at least be scared of the repercussions if you don't follow the rules. I don't see the latter being the case amongst Predator.

If a code isn't being followed out of fear, then I'd imagine it's being followed out of principle.

Makes sense.  :)

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Oct 28, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
Voodoo, Jokes aside the fact is bud let's be honest, something needs to change. Big time!

Yep, they need to get back to basics! A single hunting Predator, a cool environment, and plenty of blood to satisfy EvilThePredator!  ;D

QuoteWe have stuck to the rules of the hunt, through p2, avp and avp R, predators and the predator.( sort of with the last two)

In AvPR and The Predator, it was about containment and retrieval respectively. Neither were a Predator on a hunting trip.

QuoteIt's time to shake things up. And I think deep down you know that to.

Deep down, where?  :P

There's no Ridley-like "The beast is done. Cooked" opinion for me, nor "It's time to shake things up" opinion for me either. Just a back-to-basics single Predator hunting in a cool environment is all you need to me.

Don't overcomplicate things. It can be today, or picking off Spartans in Ancient Greece. The Predator is structured like a slasher film in essense, so just let Michael Myers be Micheal Myers. It all comes to writing and direction. It's why the previous movies were various degress of bad, not because the concept was flawed, but because the writing and direction was flawed.

Good writing and good direction is what has, is and will always be the key in this bear's eyes. Not changing the Predator's honor or code in regards to hunting unarmed people.  Far from it. It will kill plenty of people regardless to satisfy any movie-goers bloodlust. 

Good writing and good direction... i.e... opposite of The Predator... is what this fan so desperately craves.

EVILthePREDATOR

Voodoo, I respect your points, and they are all solid sound arguments.. writing and good direction is super important I agree but...

If every predator we see in film, is the same, in terms of codes etc, you're not leaving yourself much room to work with in terms of keeping things original and fresh, and more importantly keeping the audience involved. Predator is not just one character, it's a species. So why wouldn't they each have unique personalities?

Personally I like the idea that each predator has its own distinct character profile, and does things slightly different from the last. It keeps things entertaining, and new. I think strictly staying by the coded formula, really narrows your options down in terms of doing things that haven't already been done. And I really want more than that in the next film.

I agree with a back to basics approach, I just think theres plenty of the room to get creative with the star man himself.

If it's just going to be a rinse and repeat of the originals formula, that just isn't clever story telling imho.

Ronoc

The movies need to be about the people fighting the Predators, not get mired down in Predator culture. Arnold was the star of the first movie, and the best thing in it, cool and all as the Predator was.
What has it benefitted the movies to go down that route of 'Yuatja'? And although I'm not much of a fan of Predator 2, at least they didn't overdo it compared to what came later. Keep that fangirl crushing for the comics. In the movies that stuff is a franchise-killer.
I personally just think it should be brought back to survival horror. And a Predator we can root against

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, I do believe going back to survival horror is the correct path.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed