NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 815,872 times)

Vark_

Vark_

Folks, Series 9 (Vasquez / Frost) just hit NECA store, in case you're interested ;).

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Guess I'll be hitting the comic shop Friday.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: mythology on Aug 30, 2016, 01:28:54 AM
I'm trying to justify to myself why I should buy the hot pink and cold blue warriors.

The ice blue one just looks cool (no pun intended :P).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They're just fun tributes to an old manufacturer.  :)

Kailem

Kailem

Work in progress box art for the Gorilla Alien:

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 02, 2016, 05:22:21 PM
Work in progress box art for the Gorilla Alien:

Man, i would really like to ask why the gorilla alien doesnt look anything like he Kenner version besides the tale but i would likely get blocked.

It's weird because they went all out for the Mantis and they already done the Gorilla from Planet of the Apes so they have a base to build on top of.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Honestly I think its a pretty decent tribute to the Gorilla alien, I found it pretty recognizable.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 02, 2016, 07:24:23 PM
Honestly I think its a pretty decent tribute to the Gorilla alien, I found it pretty recognizable.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

I admit, I do think it should have a bit bigger of an upper chest area to resemble a gorilla more but other than that, I dig it as well, looks pretty damn cool to me. Would have been neat if they were able to keep in the feature to suck in water & spray it out by squeezing the head but I guess you'd lose a lot of detail & quality of the figure making the head squishy. Speaking of the gorilla alien, I finally got around to pulling out my old Kenner figures from a box & put them on a shelf.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Legs are not short, the chest is not wide, arms have those tubes, and the head has a crown of horns.

BTW, here's a pic from the Kenner that isnt some jpeg artifact black hole.

The NECA does have ape-like features but it doesnt match the features of the gorilla that much. It's more of a chimp alien.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Well like I said its just a tribute and it is recognizable.

While the mantis alien is much closer it still has some differences.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 02, 2016, 08:17:10 PM
Well like I said its just a tribute and it is recognizable.

While the mantis alien is much closer it still has some differences.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

i wouldn't say recognizable. Outside of the tail and maybe the hands/forearms there's nothing from the original. The mouth?

The only drastic differences in the mantis are the head patterns and the shoulders. And it's not like they went in a totally different style with that, either.

Kailem

Kailem

It does seem a bit odd that, whereas the Mantis seems to be almost a direct 1 to 1 update, the Gorilla, while still looking very cool, does seem like a little more of a departure from the original look.

I don't mind the little details at all like the spikes or pipes on the head and arms or anything, it's more that the chest doesn't seem wide enough nor the legs as short as they should be to give it the same sort of "gorilla" appearance that was the reason for the original being named as it was. It's hard to tell how long the arms are though, since in most pics the legs are bent to some degree, and as I say I do still like it. It's just odd they they seem to have stuck incredibly faithfully to the design elements of a figure which you'd think might almost be harder or more elaborate and time-consuming to create with the Mantis Alien, but seemingly not take quite the same approach with this one.

bobcunk

bobcunk

The arms look a little longer and i think the shins are shorter. baybe the isolation legs without the other joint?

Kailem

Kailem

The Gorilla is due for a November release.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Yeeeeeeeees

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed