Halo: The Television Series

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 21, 2013, 05:54:29 PM

Author
Halo: The Television Series (Read 22,534 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Master Chief

Master Chief

Loved seeing the Spartans run side by side to the Warthog!  This is visually pleasing.

Immortan Jonesy

BlueMarsalis79

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Can't wait to see Master Chief's face.  :laugh:

Kradan

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

"We didn't look at the game", the mantra of nearly every game-based movie ever made (except, for, like, 'Clue').

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well I didn't hate the first episode. Still too early to tell how I feel about it. Some of the CG looked a bit meh, but Mercy looked amazing.

Master Chief

Master Chief

The graphic violence and gore caught me off-guard. 

TC

TC

I quite like the strategy they are using for the show. It's essentially a reboot of the game stories but told in a completely new interpretation. There's a lot of the same story elements (like "artifacts"), plot ideas, settings, characters (and presumably their arcs), remixed into a fresh narrative.

I like the production design, the budget seems sufficient to look suitably impressive, the FX look good, the acting is good, and it takes itself seriously without any cartoonishness.

There was a time when I wished for such a treatment to the Alien movies: all four of the original films in a mash up/remix/reboot/whatever, so that they have a new seemless continuity, maybe with a bit of Alien:Isolation stirred in. And probably with the addition of other all-new subplots and characters as well.

Right now, though, I question if such a streaming series would be too imitative of existing shows like this Halo one, but also The Expanse, Altered Carbon, and maybe a couple of others.  (And of course there's the Noah Hawley project that's already underway, but that's a completely different consideration. )

The distinguishing feature of the Alien franchise is the horror element of Giger's monster. Now I wonder if that would be enough.

TC

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 21, 2022, 07:07:12 PM
Can't wait to see Master Chief's face.  :laugh:
Why did they do this. Why.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Because it's been removed countless times in the other media. The helmet is just a thing for the games. It's supposed to be about putting you in the helmet for the games, not for the books and films and comics and etc. Granted, I do feel it's weird it not being Steve Downes, but I get they're going for a younger John, but just the prospect of him removing his helmet and showing his face is a none-issue for me.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And here I was expecting Hicks to have a David-is-the-Space-Jockey reaction to it. :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Alex Garland's script did a weird thing where Chief's face is shown flat out in dream sequence flashbacks to Reach, and when his helmet comes off in the main story, his face is only partially shown, bit enough to know that it's been altered somehow since.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed