Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,104 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I preferred it to Prometheus too. The first half or so is actually pretty solid imo. It just tanks once David appears.

Prometheus had vastly more potential to be a great movie. Covenant mostly aims lower and gets closer to the mark.

Hadji Murad

Hadji Murad

I actually liked David or at least the idea of him.

I'll check out Covenant this weekend.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm one of those ones that loves David and enjoys him in this film. But unfortunately I think it falters when the traditional Alien shows up as it feels shoehorned in.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I think Prometheus is the better movie, but if you want to see a silly slasher with an alien in it, it may satisfy you.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I find Prometheus to be the most unsatisfying film to watch, probably ever.

I think Covenant is 10x better.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 13, 2022, 12:29:29 PMI find Prometheus to be the most unsatisfying film to watch, probably ever.

What he said

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Prometheus is Raised by Wolves Covenant Dark Star.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Alien Covenant

mmm rabid mad concept artist fixated on procreation (but unable to procreate) mocks the gods by creating a monster that rapes to live and lives to rape, all wrapped in a Hammer horror in space

too bad the entire script only works towards its goal because everyone is so god damn dumb all the time for very little reason (especially Oram) and once the actual Alien hits the screen somehow the movie becomes super-rushed, resulting in an anti-climactic climax, question mark?

Give me some more Neomorphs instead if that's what you were gonna do, actually give me all the Neomorphs mmm

also Waterston and Fassbender are H O T (separately, not together, ew)

definitely a movie I enjoy, unlike its abominable, rotten immediate predecessor with no name

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 13, 2022, 12:29:29 PMI find Prometheus to be the most unsatisfying film to watch, probably ever.

Agreed. Prometheus is generally frustrating for me because it's unsatisfying. But I just genuinely enjoy Covenant so much.

PsyKore

PsyKore

The last part of Covenant with the Alien is the only real disappointing part of it for me. I think they had no original ideas to put the OG Alien in so it comes across undercooked and by the numbers. Ridley's bored of the Alien and it shows in that last part.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 15, 2022, 10:09:14 AMRidley's bored of the Alien and it shows in that last part.

Precisely. I just wish they'd have used the Neomorphs throughout.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 20, 2022, 12:01:19 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:17:00 AMI'm really interested to see how we'll be feeling about Covenant for it's 10 year anniversary. It seems a good amount of time to be able to step back and judge something. Partly I suppose it will depend on whether the story is actually ever finished.

For myself, I appreciated the design, look, direction and acting. Didn't really like the story and the direction it went in very much.

If it was its own thing, it would be 5/5. The med-bay scene I was literally biting my nails (the soundtrack was excellent). And I walked out of the theatre thinking it was, in many ways, a bleaker ending than ALIEN 3 (and that's a good thing).

But parts of it I found sour and unpalatable (no Shaw, David creating the xenomorphs) and unconsidered (absurdly short incubation times) and a loss opportunity (show us a glorious, strange and alien Engineer society and world, not Ancient Rome Post Holocaust). So I can only really give it 3/5 and feel sad about it.

With everything and its flaws, Prometheus was something like a 'Promised Land' :'(

https://i.ibb.co/R6wPnDc/6k7vtg.jpg

I love Prometheus, it isn't perfect (what really is save Alien 1979?), but the wonder it displays and invoked in me is unique. It capture the Odyssey on positive level, while Covenant stays in Hades most of the time.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Aug 15, 2022, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 20, 2022, 12:01:19 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:17:00 AMI'm really interested to see how we'll be feeling about Covenant for it's 10 year anniversary. It seems a good amount of time to be able to step back and judge something. Partly I suppose it will depend on whether the story is actually ever finished.

For myself, I appreciated the design, look, direction and acting. Didn't really like the story and the direction it went in very much.

If it was its own thing, it would be 5/5. The med-bay scene I was literally biting my nails (the soundtrack was excellent). And I walked out of the theatre thinking it was, in many ways, a bleaker ending than ALIEN 3 (and that's a good thing).

But parts of it I found sour and unpalatable (no Shaw, David creating the xenomorphs) and unconsidered (absurdly short incubation times) and a loss opportunity (show us a glorious, strange and alien Engineer society and world, not Ancient Rome Post Holocaust). So I can only really give it 3/5 and feel sad about it.

With everything and its flaws, Prometheus was something like a 'Promised Land' :'(

https://i.ibb.co/R6wPnDc/6k7vtg.jpg

I love Prometheus, it isn't perfect (what really is save Alien 1979?), but the wonder it displays and invoked in me is unique. It capture the Odyssey on positive level, while Covenant stays in Hades most of the time.

Yes, even with better scripting/editing, PROMETHEUS is a pretty unique "Alien" movie, and while it's true that each installment of the IP has its director's touch; they're all movies about people getting killed by the Alien. Prometheus tried to be Alien's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The music, the shots, the scope...it definitely wasn't meant to be Amityville in space like ALIEN. And yet, the premise of the 1979 film is the plot of a B-movie that, thanks to its perfect storm of talent, ended up being a landmark in sci-fi-horror. Just thinking in a 'perfect storm' Prometheus makes me a bit nostalgic. Also, the "Who Made Them?" like an almost cliffhanger, as everything practically follows the line of a Columbus-style voyage of discovery. After all, Ridley Scott directed 1492: Conquest of Paradise, which presents us with something that is discovered, but only future explorations will reveal its true condition.

About the sequel, too bad Covenant didn't have 'Arrogant God vs. Raging monster' moments. :laugh: 

PsyKore

PsyKore

I wonder if Ridley's origins ideas would have been better had he been able to do it circa 1990.

For me, Prometheus and Covenant are great ideas at heart but all the blocks are just in the wrong holes.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

If it were all one film, it could have been genuinely great, but greed and overdevelopment killed that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed