Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Aug 13, 2022, 08:09:43 AM

Author
Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon? (Read 5,827 times)

Frosty Venom

Does Prey make the Predator: 1718 comic non-canon with it's depiction of the Raphael Adolini 1715 Flintlock Pistol? Can these stories somehow work together?

SiL

It was never canon. It was a fun 10 page comic but it never had any real influence on anything.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2022, 08:20:10 AMIt was never canon. It was a fun 10 page comic but it never had any real influence on anything.

@Xenomrph Can you make it fit?

Frosty Venom

Could these stories work together in some kind of fun non-canon way would you say?

SiL

No. Adolini dies a year later in entirely different circumstances without ever meeting Greyback.

Frosty Venom

Ah I see so we get two different depictions of Adolini

BlueMarsalis79

Nice picture Frosty Venom, love that idea for the PredAlien's back protrusions.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Aug 13, 2022, 08:09:43 AMDoes Prey make the Predator: 1718 comic non-canon with it's depiction of the Raphael Adolini 1715 Flintlock Pistol? Can these stories somehow work together?

Adolini dies in 1719 as a result of the events of Prey, no longer 1718, or having Greyback involved.

Hunting Grounds does have a flintlock pistol trophy and it's not Predator 2 Adolini's. However, a Predator still gets one meaning you could at least rationalize it as a Predator encountering a pirate given that's one of the few if only other story featuring a Predator getting a flintlock. So assuming this isn't Greyback since he'll be getting Naru's pistol and the Adolini isn't Adolini or has the same name, 1718 can still work assuming you're a bit more broad about whose involved in it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2022, 08:20:10 AMIt was never canon. It was a fun 10 page comic but it never had any real influence on anything.
I disagree with your opinion.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 13, 2022, 08:22:03 AM

@Xenomrph Can you make it fit?
I'd have to re-read it, but probably.

SiL

What did it influence? What movie acknowledged its existence?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Aug 13, 2022, 08:55:26 AMAh I see so we get two different depictions of Adolini

Precisely! As soon as they revealed the date I was expecting another depiction of the pistol that would contradict the comics. Ultimately, this depiction is the depiction as the movies take precedence when it comes to lore, but the comic is always there for us to enjoy and there's nothing to stop another movie doing something with pirates in the future.  :)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 02:44:31 AMWhat did it influence? What movie acknowledged its existence?
I'm not sure "a movie never referenced it" it an airtight argument for "nobody ever considered it canon". It could have been canon, and then the writers for Prey opted to do something different.

I'll pick Andrew Gaska's brain, he was the keeper of the Predator story bible.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2022, 09:02:06 AM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Aug 13, 2022, 08:55:26 AMAh I see so we get two different depictions of Adolini

Precisely! As soon as they revealed the date I was expecting another depiction of the pistol that would contradict the comics. Ultimately, this depiction is the depiction as the movies take precedence when it comes to lore, but the comic is always there for us to enjoy and there's nothing to stop another movie doing something with pirates in the future.  :)
Also, this.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 15, 2022, 02:48:41 PMI'm not sure "a movie never referenced it" it an airtight argument for "nobody ever considered it canon". It could have been canon, and then the writers for Prey opted to do something different.

It's not worth getting into this argument again. It was canon for the expanded universe as of the late 2010s when Fox decided to do this bible and reconcile as much as they can. It was never solid canon for the movie universe.

JokersWarPig2

You can make 1718 work even with Prey, it would just imply Naru's death and then you'd have to explain how the pirate captain got it, which could be a fun story in itself.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2022, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 15, 2022, 02:48:41 PMI'm not sure "a movie never referenced it" it an airtight argument for "nobody ever considered it canon". It could have been canon, and then the writers for Prey opted to do something different.

It's not worth getting into this argument again. It was canon for the expanded universe as of the late 2010s when Fox decided to do this bible and reconcile as much as they can. It was never solid canon for the movie universe.
That's the short answer yeah. My point was addressing the "it was never canon" idea.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed